33" rubber overdrive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.huntingadventures.net
Wow what a difference from what ever stock is. The 410 axles are so low geared with the 30" tires I had, and they were bigger then the stock size. I would guess stock tires would be 28-29"??

Anyway these 33" Toyo's really made a huge difference in the steering and the smoother (wider) range of shifting. I'm also going 51.5 on my speedometer with the GPS showing 60mph now. On the way to get the tires on I was going 52ish with the GPS while the Speedo was showing exactly 50mph.

The 33X10.50 tires are really a nice size for manual steering and the 410 axle ratio. What a difference on the highway. I just hope in Low range I still have good torque? Guess I'll soon see.

DSC00257.JPG

Last edited:
Had the same results when I went to 33x9.50 tires.... Still have pleanty of torque in low range.

Please post some additional pictures of the tires, different angles and so on. I am on the verge of picking up either these or some KM2's (33x10.5) I just cant make up my mind, please help....

DSC00260.JPG

DSC00261.JPG

When My choice came to a head for tires I wanted taller skinny tires. The 12.5" wide are kind of a compromise but for me they are too wide to work as well as 9.5 or 10.5's in Snow, and to narrow to afford any benefit in soft sandy stuff. I guess everything is a compromise but 12.5"s seem okay at a lot and not great at anything.

The 10.5's are skinny enough to work great in snow, and make turning a bit easier without PS. especially at 33" tall. Who knows? I have 37X13.5" "E" toyos on My Double cab diesel. They are great for that truck, and how I use it.

One thing about Toyo tires. They are actually the size they claim. I had 37" BFG's that were 36.2" and if I remember right the 35's were only 34.1" Tires are not always what they claim on the sidewall!

I was running 33"x9.5"x15" BFG MT's, and will be running 33"x9.5"x15" BFG AT's on the '55. I have already changed the axle ratios to 3.7 and with the 33's the speedo/odo is about 16-17% low. With the turbo diesel, H41 low range 4 speed and three speed transfer case there is no lack of low end torque.

I recently finished my gearing upgrades; stock 3.73 diffs, H41 transmission and Orion 4:1 transfer case (built by Poser), 33x10.5 BFG KM2's. This is the perfect all-round setup for me - takes off easily with the lower 1st gear in the H41, runs 65 mph all day long on the highway at 2600 rpm, and 75:1 crawl ratio in 1st gear low range on the trail. Just got back from a Canyonlands trip and I'm ecstatically happy with this combo.

DSC_0340small.jpg

DSC_0339small.jpg

DSC_0323small.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Ok, i have heard about this before, but someone please school me. If you have a larger tire, you are able to run at higher speeds? How does that work??? I am runnung a stock 76, stock gearing and tire size, and I am lucky to if I am going 60 mph!! I am at ease with this, because I am not a speed freak, but it fells like I pushing the car a little too hard...

Turn a larger diameter tire a single revolution compared to a smaller tire and you go farther. Just a function of circumference.

You have 410:1 ratios with your truck. By going to a larger diameter tire you effectively change the ratio to 330-350?? ish: 1. So you will go further with Each rotation of the final drive with the lower (numerical) ratio

Ok, i have heard about this before, but someone please school me. If you have a larger tire, you are able to run at higher speeds? How does that work??? I am runnung a stock 76, stock gearing and tire size, and I am lucky to if I am going 60 mph!! I am at ease with this, because I am not a speed freak, but it fells like I pushing the car a little too hard...

The F series motor is basically a tractor engine designed to run at low RPMs and produce lots of torque. It came from the factory with gearing and tires that are not very compatible with the 65mph and up speeds on the highways of the USA. By installing larger tires than the puny stock size you can bring down the RPMs considerably at highway speed which will allow you to run at a higher speed overall without blowing up your motor.

If you don't already have one, you should consider installing a tach so you will know when you are pushing your motor.

Yup, the 33x10.5 work well on a stockish 40 with no PS. I'm still running the older BFG muds with H41/3spd tcase/4.10. It's ok on road, and even reads pretty close with swapped speedo gears, but could be lower on the trails. I'd spend the cash on an orion if I were doing it over again.

BC40, I have a 4 speed, I've not bothered to compare but as I understand the final gear is 1:1 on both. Does the 4 speed have a lower first gear? I can pull away in second gear without slipping the clutch even with the 33" tires. It's not as quick to "peel out" as it is in first gear, but it's got the torque to accelerate fine in second gear. With the 30" "stock" tires I would spin the tires in gravel without trying.

What is the difference in First gear between the stock 3 speed and the stock 4 speed? I think the 4 speed might just have a "granny" first gear?

If it's 2 tone it's sun faded on some parts! It's all gonna be repainted starting Friday! Factory green as it is now, but with all the hinges black Matte powder coat, same as gas door, vents, and wiper cover

BC40, I have a 4 speed, I've not bothered to compare but as I understand the final gear is 1:1 on both. Does the 4 speed have a lower first gear? I can pull away in second gear without slipping the clutch even with the 33" tires. It's not as quick to "peel out" as it is in first gear, but it's got the torque to accelerate fine in second gear. With the 30" "stock" tires I would spin the tires in gravel without trying.

What is the difference in First gear between the stock 3 speed and the stock 4 speed? I think the 4 speed might just have a "granny" first gear?

The 3rd in a 3 speed and 4th in a 4 speed are the same ratio (1:1).

The H42 is the stock 4 speed tranny for all Canadian and US trucks.
The H41 is a lower range 4 speed found in other countries (4th is still 1:1)
The H55 is the 5 speed and again 4th is still 1:1

In my '55 which came stock with an H42 4 speed and 4:11 gears in the axles and 29" tires is now running an H41 tranny from Guatemala (makes no difference to the final speed), 3:7 gears from a BJ60 and will have 33" BFG AT's. That gets me moving at 60mph at about 2200-2300rpm (16-17% overdrive from the stock setup). With the stock 235/75/15 tires and the 3:7 gearing it's about 5% overdrive.

Yup, agree with cruiser_guy.

The H41 and H55 have a first gear ~4.9:1 versus the common H42 with 3.55:1. The H42 is a close ratio gearbox and is probably nicer to drive on the street.

The reference to the 3 speed transfer case was for the 2.3:1 low range gear set, instead of the 1.9:1 behind the 4 speeds.

For interest sake my 2F powered 40 is happier starting in 2nd gear high range than my 3B powered 60 is. Both have the same gearing 1st to 4th (H41 and H55). Both running 4.11 diffs and 33" BFG's. The 3B needs more clutch to do it.

:beer:

Whats the difference between the 1st gear with the 3speed VS the 4 Speed tranny, ( not the Xfr case)

I wish I had the lower range Xfr case at 2.3:1

Whats the difference between the 1st gear with the 3speed VS the 4 Speed tranny, ( not the Xfr case)

I wish I had the lower range Xfr case at 2.3:1

Read away <---- this is a link

From the

CruiserFAQ <---- this is a link

located at the top of your browser....not to be confused with the

40 series F A Q <---- this is a link
Located at the top of the 40 tech threads...

:popcorn:

I recently finished my gearing upgrades; stock 3.73 diffs, H41 transmission and Orion 4:1 transfer case (built by Poser), 33x10.5 BFG KM2's. This is the perfect all-round setup for me - takes off easily with the lower 1st gear in the H41, runs 65 mph all day long on the highway at 2600 rpm, and 75:1 crawl ratio in 1st gear low range on the trail. Just got back from a Canyonlands trip and I'm ecstatically happy with this combo.

Interesting... any idea why Toyota put such drastically lower 1st gear in the non-US market 4-speed trans? Cos we don't need it to drive to the supermarket, or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom