autometer gauge sending unit ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm using the autometer sending unit for my gauge conversion and since my tank is out due to a small leak I may as well finish the gauge install. So, question is, How much of the arm of the sending unit did you cut off or leave on? The sending unit is different from stock and I imagine it would only need about 6-8 " long. what did you guy use?

what did you guy use?

Math, and the instructions that come with the Auto meter universal sending unit that clearly states how to adjust the sending unit for a tank.

:beer:

damn poser, It's not always as simple as you make it to be. Sometimes when you are modifying things they just dont work out the way they should. You of all people should know that. It's a simple question and if someone has a trick, tip or anything other than a smart ass comment It would be greatly appreciated. Doing the math shown on the directions you should be OK with about 6-8'' but maybe someone has done that and it didn't work or, it turns out you may only need 5".
anyone?

damn poser, It's not always as simple as you make it to be. Sometimes when you are modifying things they just dont work out the way they should. You of all people should know that. It's a simple question and if someone has a trick, tip or anything other than a smart ass comment It would be greatly appreciated. Doing the math shown on the directions you should be OK with about 6-8'' but maybe someone has done that and it didn't work or, it turns out you may only need 5".
anyone?

Have done three of them.

Never measured the final length of any of them.

One went into a 28- gallon under the driver/passenger seat LRA tank from MAF.

One went into a stock 16- gallon tank.

One went into a stock 18-gallon tank.

Followed the directions, which again, are very clear as to how to set this up, used simple math, and all three worked, as they should.

Don’t know what else to tell you.

Good day.

My problem is, is that if you follow the directions which tells you to measure the depth of the tank and use the chart to adjust to length, the float doesn't hit bottom which is OK but, how close should the float lie to the bottom of the tank and how can you tell how close it is to bottom? I'd like to not pull the tank 10 times to adjust it if someone else has already experienced this and has a couple of tips that would be useful... thus avoiding possibly cutting the stem too short therefore showing empty too early when you may still have a 1/4 tank

I'd like to not pull the tank 10 times

Why do you have to remove the fuel tank to adjust a sending unit?

Using a square, a measuring tape/stick and math, you would be able to figure out if the float is touching the bottom of the tank, or just how close it is to it.

This is clearly detailed in the Auto meter instructions.

step 1 just put the sending unit in and then drive around if it reads empty and you run out of gas then its right if not pull tank and shorten up then try again. if still not right then repeat step 1

thx fieldskin, thats what I want to avoid tho which is why I'm posting up. If someone has done this, I know they have, pls share .

I installed the autometer universal fuel sending unit in the tank in my 68 several months ago. I followed autometer's detailed instructions, did some math, cut the arm and adjusted per the instuctions, and bolted it in place. simple - took about 15 mins. works perfect.

If these are the instructions for your unit it seems pretty straight forward. Determine if you have a type 1 or 2, then measure the tank depth and use the proper table to adjust the stem length then cut the float arm to the length in the table.

Attachments

• 421B.pdf
    59.7 KB · Views: 57
i did not do any of that i just lowered it into the tank and when it hit bottom i measured how far out the top is was then shortened it that much BINGO done

Like Poser, I have done a couple of them. There is no cutting necessary. Just measure from the top of the tank to the bottom with a ruler and then follow the directions as how to shorten or lengthen the shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom