Autohome AirTop Tent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to do a small report on the new Autohome AirTop RTT.

This new model is a cross between the Maggiolina (crank) model and the Columbus (gas strut) model. The new tent Is the Maggiolina with gas struts. Opening the tent took a mere 19 seconds! The new model also has a rear door.

Other changes are firmer pillows and mattress, darker tent fabric - keeps tent dark for slerping in. Overhead storage mesh, oval front window instead of the traditional triangle shape.

Since picking it up last weekend, I have already spent 3 nights in it.

Will take it to Yellowstone tomorrow. This model is a winner- overall lenght is longer because there is no crank lift mechanisms at both ends of the tent. The new roofline also gives it an upgraded look- dont know if it hrlps with aerodynamics.

Tomorrow it is me, Max my 5 year old and a couple -40 Western Mountaineering bags and my hundy against the cold Yellowstone winter... Hope to spot the Druid pack.

Wow! Just checked it out on their Italian site and it looks like a winner. So the lift struts don't infringe on the interior space? Checked Mike's Autohome USA site but no mention of this model there. How did you get one? Cost?

Gents,
i am a dealer through Mike here in Jackson Hole. I have the first AirTop opened in the US. Gary and I opened it up at Sonoma last weekend when I picked up tents to take back to Wyoming.

Still not on Mikes website, in the works. Should be on site by tomorrow. I will have a youtube link to show the opening.

We are taking orders for the next shipment, anyone on route when I pick up the next load will get a great deal on delivery cost.

Cost of the medium AirTop is $3099. $100 more than the medium Grand Tour.

The mechanism is in the sides (ill have pics tomorrow) and makes the tent effectively longer than the Maggies.

Mike has the other AirTop in the continent- he has a small which he will be taking to Overland.

Very nice addition to the line-up.

The new tent will be at Expo this spring. It sounds like a really nice set up.

Just wanted to do a small report on the new Autohome AirTop RTT.

This new model is a cross between the Maggiolina (crank) model and the Columbus (gas strut) model. The new tent Is the Maggiolina with gas struts. Opening the tent took a mere 19 seconds! The new model also has a rear door.

Other changes are firmer pillows and mattress, darker tent fabric - keeps tent dark for slerping in. Overhead storage mesh, oval front window instead of the traditional triangle shape.

Since picking it up last weekend, I have already spent 3 nights in it.

Will take it to Yellowstone tomorrow. This model is a winner- overall lenght is longer because there is no crank lift mechanisms at both ends of the tent. The new roofline also gives it an upgraded look- dont know if it hrlps with aerodynamics.

Tomorrow it is me, Max my 5 year old and a couple -40 Western Mountaineering bags and my hundy against the cold Yellowstone winter... Hope to spot the Druid pack.

The new Airtops arriving on the June shipment will have beige or light grey fabric choices. Dk Grey fabric and black shell on the black storm will be special orders only.

For our summer rental fleet, we will have medium XLong Airlands and medium XLong Columbus models.

To try out these models, come to Jackson Hole, rent them and visit Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Glacier National Parks.

Explore America's Serengeti! Grizzly bears, black bears, elk, wolves and Bison abound. Beta on BLM trails on park outskirts allows you to drive among these beautiful mammals.

Wow, we can rent these beauties? Now, that's a plan I like!!!

I'm curious to know how you get it closed again?

EDIT: I see the little freeze frame video how that works on their web site now.

How well do the internal elastics work to pull the sides into the casing?

An advantage of the regular Maggiolina is the near drum tight sidewalls, once its set up, that shed high winds effectively without flapping. I wonder how effectively the Air Top keeps the fabric walls tensioned?

I'm curious to know how you get it closed again?

EDIT: I see the little freeze frame video how that works on their web site now.

How well do the internal elastics work to pull the sides into the casing?
The best way I found was to close the back first. Pulling on the built in cord, then latching the first click. Then, do the front ( 2 straps up front) so pick a side to start with.

My 0.02- easy set up, more involved take down if alone. Very easy with 2 people.

The i ternal bungee really helps to pull the sides in. I am rigging my Airlands with a similar bungee system.

An advantage of the regular Maggiolina is the near drum tight sidewalls, once its set up, that shed high winds effectively without flapping. I wonder how effectively the Air Top keeps the fabric walls tensioned?
Spresso
you are absolutely correct, the AirTop is not as drum tight as the original scissor maggs. But it is still quite tight. The struts do not lock like the the Columbus, rather, there is constant tension being applied since the strut never reaches full extention...

It excels in set-up, overall mattress lenght- no need for an XLong Airtop, and the rear 3rd door. The oval windows up front and on the rear door are much larger than the triangular ones, improving cross ventilation and views.

Last edited:
CSG1
The tents are pushing 3K. And the loading on and off after 2 days is what most of the costs go to.

We credit half the rental cost towards the purchase of the tent. This significantly lowers it and more importantly it allows one to try out these tents for a small fraction before plunking down $$$.

Most of our rental gear follows the same philosophy, we rent unique gear at a fraction of the cost to allow one to try it out before buying, or enjoy a use of one at a fraction of the cost without buying. Most of our gear are not rented out by anyone else. Our monthly rate is very reasonable- rented one last year to a tourist who owned one back in France. Saved them $$$ on hotel/motel fees and got them freedom to camp most anywhere.

Thanks for visiting the site. Stop by if you are in the area, I see you are not too far away from here.

We are the only ones, or the first ones who rents out RTTs, ARB refs, SnowPulse Avalanche AirBags, YAkima Rocket Boxes, SPOT2 GPS locators, Avy Tranceivers, Bear Sprays/Flares and First Aid Kits.

CSG1
The tents are pushing 3K. And the loading on and off after 2 days is what most of the costs go to.

We credit half the rental cost towards the purchase of the tent. This significantly lowers it and more importantly it allows one to try out these tents for a small fraction before plunking down $$$.

Most of our rental gear follows the same philosophy, we rent unique gear at a fraction of the cost to allow one to try it out before buying, or enjoy a use of one at a fraction of the cost without buying. Most of our gear are not rented out by anyone else. Our monthly rate is very reasonable- rented one last year to a tourist who owned one back in France. Saved them $$$ on hotel/motel fees and got them freedom to camp most anywhere.

Thanks for visiting the site. Stop by if you are in the area, I see you are not too far away from here.

We are the only ones, or the first ones who rents out RTTs, ARB refs, SnowPulse Avalanche AirBags, YAkima Rocket Boxes, SPOT2 GPS locators, Avy Tranceivers, Bear Sprays/Flares and First Aid Kits.

Good business plan and I think you'll do well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom