Looking for a place to go (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bluecruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
The past 3 years, I have been making a 3-4 day summer trip to Ouray. Not sure the kids want to do this again or at least take a year off from there.

Any ideas for a place that is not any farther and would be fun for looking around, 4 low would be needed and is nice and cool?

Thanks!!

Mogollon Rim area...your 4-Lo day is to the "Cracks" NE of Heber. Moab-ish rock and play stuff. Other days camping, scouting, fishing, checking out lookout towers.

Zillions. The best are over on the west (wetter) side near Baker Butte and west of AZ87. The east side (Woods Canyon and Heber) are much dryer and less scenic. Most are 2WD though there's plenty of 4WD tracks to check out. Getting out and just driving is the best way.

The La Sal, Abajo, Henry, etc, mountains in SE Utah? The are usually still snowed in, so not much exploring has been done when we are there in April/May. Mostly pretty remote, so camping would be involved?

Zillions. The best are over on the west (wetter) side near Baker Butte and west of AZ87. The east side (Woods Canyon and Heber) are much dryer and less scenic. Most are 2WD though there's plenty of 4WD tracks to check out. Getting out and just driving is the best way.

Do you have a good trailhead to reference as a starting point? I'm going up there on Saturday but I only know the 'generic' roads that a car can go on.

I do beleieve what John meant was west side of the rim road (forest service road 300) you can travel west on the 300 toward Wood Canyon lake or you can go up 87 out of Payson and travel east on the 300 road. Baker Butte is east of SR87. 300 road runs between the two highways. I have been told it also travels further on the east side. My cabin is on the west side so I don't get over to the east end much. There is many forest service roads you can travel on. The Forest Servive roads have only been open a few weeks. They are closed for the winter. I was up there a few weeks ago and around the rim there was still snow on the ground. If you go camping it will still be plenty cold at night.

FH300...Rim Road = Yes

I was referring to the East side vs the west. West side/half with the Knoll Lake area being the center line. The east side toward Woods Canyon is dryer. The west is more lush with more meadows and grass, etc.

A great side trip for 4-Lo would be FH2 from AZ260 down to Fossil Springs.

FH9 Child's Powerline Road (Coconino NF) 10/07 UZJ100 - John Shotts (shottscruisers)'s Photos

Then if Chris took his kids on a hike to Fossil Springs they wouldn't believe what they'd see!

The La Sal, Abajo, Henry, etc, mountains in SE Utah? The are usually still snowed in, so not much exploring has been done when we are there in April/May. Mostly pretty remote, so camping would be involved?

I agree, or what about Dixie NF, see Capitol Reef, towns of Torrey, Fruita, Grover, Boulder, Escalante, lots of great side trails to check out.
Anywhere in Southern Utah would be my choice.

I agree, or what about Dixie NF, see Capitol Reef, towns of Torrey, Fruita, Grover, Boulder, Escalante, lots of great side trails to check out.
Anywhere in Southern Utah would be my choice.

What time of year are you going?

Usually the first week in August is when I have been going to Ouray.

On the following map, can anyone recommend which forest roads are better/more fun? I was thinking the 300 to 95.

mog_rim_camps.gif

Edit: Scratch that, I just read they are all "suitable for a sedan".

Concentrate on the area all around Kehl Springs. Take all the roads you can find south of FH300 near Kehl. Several go to amazing camp sites on the Rim's edge. Some go into meadows and cienegas. Scout this area. 141 and to it's west is another good area.

Same thing around Potato Lake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom