Pritchett Canyon Videos in 80 series... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You too Nay. So, did you end up running Pritchett too? I know you were wanting to...I'll run it again next year for sure, just better prepared for the descents this time around.

Chris

Probably next year for Pritchett. I was signed up for Spike but missed the start time and after trying to catch the group and losing the trail in a snow squall ended up running Poison Spider with that group. Calmer day on Elephant Hill on Sat - I just love that trail and the side hikes you can do.

I've been thinking of adding 30mm spacers to my setup and going to a typical 10" travel shock from a dimensions perspective like the Fox 2.0's, but I have to say watching the rear unload that quickly on your vid has convinced me to suffer the occasional clearance issue instead. Be interested to see (without actually trying :D) how a lesser lift would have reacted to that same line.

Of course, it corrected at the last possible moment aided I think by your dive to the passenger side :grinpimp: which really doesn't seem like it should have happened once it had that momentum.

When did you break the birf? I had a hard time telling in the vids.

:popcorn: on your 3-link project - I think you should look into limiting straps front and rear once you have the design netted out.

Sign up for CM next year - family has agreed to do Pritchett if I want as it is a good walking trail.

Good fun! I like that rear bumper any threads about it?
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...450-buildup-comments-suggestions-welcome.html There's some info in this thread for the bumpers, although I'm not done with them yet. Worked great for Moab, but for back east I need some more protection for sure. Heading to Windrock with the IPOR guys next week to run some hard stuff, so it will be interesting to see how it does, because I won't have anymore work done to it, except probably the IPOR skid plate underneath.

Chris

Probably next year for Pritchett. I was signed up for Spike but missed the start time and after trying to catch the group and losing the trail in a snow squall ended up running Poison Spider with that group. Calmer day on Elephant Hill on Sat - I just love that trail and the side hikes you can do.
I never know the names of obstacles, but is Elephant hill on Poison Spider?
I've been thinking of adding 30mm spacers to my setup and going to a typical 10" travel shock from a dimensions perspective like the Fox 2.0's, but I have to say watching the rear unload that quickly on your vid has convinced me to suffer the occasional clearance issue instead. Be interested to see (without actually trying :D) how a lesser lift would have reacted to that same line.
And, see you could have proven your theory if you had gone...lol. One thing to consider in that situation is I did still have my rear swaybar on to help make the front move. In that particular case, I'm nearly convinced having it off would have let the driver's side wheel stuff more and ultimately not raise the rear passenger side up as high...purely speculation at this point. Not convinced one way or the other on the swaybar being connected or not.
Of course, it corrected at the last possible moment aided I think by your dive to the passenger side :grinpimp: which really doesn't seem like it should have happened once it had that momentum.
Yeah, either the winch being attached to the rear(although to the wrong anchor point) helped or God was definitely looking out for me that day.
When did you break the birf? I had a hard time telling in the vids.
In the Yellow Hill to Beginning video when I was dropping off Chewy Hill. It's the part that I reversed then did it in slow motion. When I hit the bottom, there was so much force, the tie rod bent and cause the left tire to be jammed hard left at which point there's a loud pop. Kind of a weird way to break it, but I think that's when it was.
:popcorn: on your 3-link project - I think you should look into limiting straps front and rear once you have the design netted out.
It's not a bad idea. My initial test will be some shock configuration, but linked. I'll determine the best location for the top link by making it adjustable on the axle mount with 3 different locations above the pumpkin. I'm planning to make the top tube 30" just like the current lowers. The lowers I'm going to use the stock rear location on the axle with a standard bushing, then custom Summit Machine Jimmy Joints for the frame end, because all the widths are off from what's readily available. This way, if I don't like it, I can put it right back to the way it is now.
Sign up for CM next year - family has agreed to do Pritchett if I want as it is a good walking trail.
If all is well, it's very likely...just sort of depends on the dates I set for the UTV Rally. This year was perfect, but I'm considering changing the dates for next year, so two trips out to Moab from NC is unlikely.

Chris

E-Hill is a full trail (although I suppose it is also the main obstacle as well) south of Moab in the Needles District of Canyonlands.

I bet is was your rear winch attachment that stopped the roll, because it looked like it was going over hard.

Good thing either way for sure :clap:

Out of curiosity, why were you coming down Chewy and Axle Hills rather than up?

For my event, we go out and back, so after Yellow Hill we turn around and ride it all down to the beginning of the trail again.

Chris

Yeah, when under load and the front is locked, it hates me. :)

Chris

Yeah, when under load and the front is locked, it hates me. :)

Chris

are you running a bigger oil cooler for your PS .. ?

1 word......

IN ****** SANE!

Or was that 2?

I never thought an FJ80 can do all that. Must have "balls of steel", opps your BIRFS blew up on the second video. Im surprised that you only bent the panhards, and blew your birf. WOW. I thought you axle would have broke off.

Great driving!

I noticed that your rear panhard has an second shorter one attached to it (increased flex, somewhat like double shackles). How much travel are you really getting? some pics look like its over 2 feet of shock travel. Clever.

Last edited:
Thanks man...I like to refer to it as stupidity. :) Nah, I enjoy pushing the limits, but carnage is definitely part of the game. I'm not sure what you're referring to on the rear panhard. All I have done so far for suspension is the Slee 6" lift, nothing is linked yet up front, but it soon will be. Then the front should flex like the rear I'm hoping.

Chris

Slee, WOW!

Is that a stock SLEE 6" lift?

Did you have to do any driveshaft work done DC? Was it included in the lift (front/rear)? Or custom Drive shafts? Yolks gotta be extended to be able to handle that much flex. Right?

How about lower control arms? Where they included in the lift (BILLET SLEES... BLING BLING)? or were it stock? or custom 3 link?

That is the greatest price for a bad ass lift!

Did you have to do any driveshaft work done DC? Was it included in the lift (front/rear)? Or custom Drive shafts? Yolks gotta be extended to be able to handle that much flex. Right?

How about lower control arms? Where they included in the lift (BILLET SLEES... BLING BLING)? or were it stock? or custom 3 link?

The Slee 6" kit uses a standard OME L shock that has about 11" of travel. Everything else is a stock mounted 5 link rear suspension, front radius arm.

If you look at how the 80 series link system flexes in the rear, you'll see it is nearly perfectly lined up with the driveshaft - there is no need for a long travel yoke driveshaft and many people just run the stock one rather than a DC, although you are getting quite a bit of angle at a 6" lift for a standard u-joint.

Up front you have radius arms, so everything stays in line plus the front has squat for flex.

The 80 has an excellent rear suspension - you aren't seeing anything out of the ordinary even if Chris is a badass who runs trails in the wrong direction and breaks crap :D

Try a search on "Wild Wheeling Videos" so you can get a good look at different setups.

Up front you have radius arms, so everything stays in line plus the front has squat for flex.

Try a search on "Wild Wheeling Videos" so you can get a good look at different setups.

What is the radius arms if you don't mind me asking?

So with 6" of lift, you can use the stock control arms?

I'm planning on doing a J's lift. Probable only caster plates. Should be good for a 4" lift.

But for a 6" lift? Wouldn't that put the axle over 9* off caster? Slee blues, caster plates and stock control arms would give you about 8*. So stock control arms would be okay?

I've got Slee's full kit, which include the older version of his existing billet arms. I have DC driveshafts from him front and rear too. Nothing has been altered on the suspension yet, but it will be eventually.

Chris

What is the radius arms if you don't mind me asking?

So with 6" of lift, you can use the stock control arms?

I'm planning on doing a J's lift. Probable only caster plates. Should be good for a 4" lift.

But for a 6" lift? Wouldn't that put the axle over 9* off caster? Slee blues, caster plates and stock control arms would give you about 8*. So stock control arms would be okay?
The radius arms are the stock lower control arms up front, whether it be aftermarket or not, that's what's commercially available at this point. There's two points of connection on the axle for each arm and one at the frame. This is why there's limited flex in the front suspension...it binds and works against itself when one tire is compressed and the other is flexed out. The aftermarket Slee arms are 30" center to center...not sure what stock is.

Chris

Chris,

You've got more (bigger) balls than I do. That's for sure! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom