Navigation ECU: JPN > USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
08 JDM LC Head Unit Language; Japanese to English

Good day all.

I own a Japanese (JDM) 2008 Land Cruiser and need to modify/change its Nav/Audio system's language (both voice and on screen text) from Japanese to English and hope you can assist;

Can it be modified via software and/or part replacement, otherwise, are there other solutions or contact that you can suggest?

After some research I was told that by replacing the JPN Navigation ECU with a USA (or any English speaking market's) Navigation ECU, this will completely convert the system to English, I'm unsure about the compatibility between the two systems and hope someone can assist.

BTW; the actual navigation part (maps and directions..) is irrelevant to me but the rest of the functions are.

Although it seems difficult, I'm hopping that someone somewhere have had a similar experience and was able to resolve it.

I look forward to your replies.

Thank you.

MD

Last edited:
Good day all.

Another -unusual- US x JPN compatibility issue.

I suffer from owning a RHD, JDM 08 Land Cruiser 200 with a purely Japanese (Voice & Text) info center which I don't understand and I'm hoping to convert it to English.

After some research I was told that by replacing the JPN Navigation ECU with a USA (or any English speaking market) Navigation ECU, this will completely convert the system to English, I'm unsure about the compatibility between the two systems and hope someone can assist, FYI, the two are located in two different areas; US version in panel next to passenger seat, JPN built-into/under the Head Unit.

I have located, removed and took some pics of my -supposed- ECU and would appreciate it if someone could post some pics, info/diagram of their (English) Navigation ECU to compare connections before I start to look into purchasing one.

NOTE: the actual navigation itself (finding directions..) is irrelevant to me, I just need the other functions (Parking assist voice, text, info..) in English.

I look forward to hearing feedback and opinions from you all.

MD.

That's so strange that you cannot just change the language in the unit. Weird...

That's so strange that you cannot just change the language in the unit. Weird...

I know JBHorne, only the Japanese version, to my good fortune!:mad:

Good day all.

Another -unusual- US x JPN compatibility issue.

I suffer from owning a RHD, JDM 08 Land Cruiser 200 with a purely Japanese (Voice & Text) info center which I don't understand and I'm hoping to convert it to English.

After some research I was told that by replacing the JPN Navigation ECU with a USA (or any English speaking market) Navigation ECU, this will completely convert the system to English, I'm unsure about the compatibility between the two systems and hope someone can assist, FYI, the two are located in two different areas; US version in panel next to passenger seat, JPN built-into/under the Head Unit.

I have located, removed and took some pics of my -supposed- ECU and would appreciate it if someone could post some pics, info/diagram of their (English) Navigation ECU to compare connections before I start to look into purchasing one.

NOTE: the actual navigation itself (finding directions..) is irrelevant to me, I just need the other functions (Parking assist voice, text, info..) in English.

I look forward to hearing feedback and opinions from you all.

MD.

Hi all,

I'm still unable to resolve this language issue, I'm hopping that by now somewhere, someone has done it successfully, I would appreciate any thought you might offer..

MD.

Hi all,

I'm still unable to resolve this language issue, I'm hopping that by now somewhere, someone has done it successfully, I would appreciate any thought you might offer..

MD.

Hey Mudimond,

I actually have to deal with this issue all the time when I'm building armored RHD AX for South Africa and Pakistan. Toyota basically said you can not do it with out changing the whole system and navigation brains as if you remove one part it will only come up with an error. Also Toyota Nav only works with the Toyota Nav DVD's which they dont make for all the world. One solution I found was to replace the whole unit with an open architecture system. My supplier ROCKMARS in the UAE has a OEM style drop in unit that uses the IGO/Garmin maps which you can get for 99.99% of the world.

Rockmars

Is a link to their TLC 200 series units - they offer a mid (China) and high (Korean) range version. For watching DVD's recommend going with the high range as it has better resolution.

hope that helps
kenn.walker(at)armored-cars(dot)com

Hey Mudimond,

I actually have to deal with this issue all the time when I'm building armored RHD AX for South Africa and Pakistan. Toyota basically said you can not do it with out changing the whole system and navigation brains as if you remove one part it will only come up with an error. Also Toyota Nav only works with the Toyota Nav DVD's which they dont make for all the world. One solution I found was to replace the whole unit with an open architecture system. My supplier ROCKMARS in the UAE has a OEM style drop in unit that uses the IGO/Garmin maps which you can get for 99.99% of the world.

Rockmars

Is a link to their TLC 200 series units - they offer a mid (China) and high (Korean) range version. For watching DVD's recommend going with the high range as it has better resolution.

hope that helps
kenn.walker(at)armored-cars(dot)com

Kenn,

Many thanks for your reply and willingness to assist, I'm sending you an email shortly.
MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom