Expert Advice Please- What is this Leak? and How bad is this Frame? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Passed it up - Expert Advice Please- What is this Leak? and How bad is this Frame?

Passed it up - Unless a price drop...(not likely) -

Thanx for the input!

Hello all!

This is my virgin post and please be kind. You really have a wonderful community here and thank you to the support folks that make this all possible.

Been wanting to join the 80's owners ranks for a long time and now is the time - but is this the one for me?

Test drove this wonderful machine today - 1995 - 142K - diff locks. $6000.

Some rust on the fame - body is mint - looking for opinions on how bad is the rust? Its a NJ 80.

The 80 drives nice - transferred to low and engaged all the locks - no weird noises or anything unusual - but please keep in mind I am a newbie and the knowledge I have has been accumulated on this site ( thank you all for sharing all your stories) and not hands on - which I hope to change.
DSCN2535.JPG

DSCN2536.JPG

DSCN2537.JPG

Parked the truck on a small incline (front first) at the owners place and was looking around and I see this leak - spangly in the middle of the chassis - over the exhaust pipe - now the fluid was a little oily and I am by far not well versed in fluids - it was not water - possibly brake f or oil - it is close to the transfer case - so can it be it? - but the leak was on the side... and above the exhaust dripping right on the pipe! And it was a "lot" (more then the picture shows) - that was at the beginning.

DSCN2539.JPG

DSCN2542.JPG

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you!

Tom

Last edited:
it's hard to tell from the pics. was the A/C on?

I was thinking a/c drip as well.
--
personally I would try to find a southern based vehicle frame looks pretty bad IMHO

No way 6000$. Maybe 3000. Looks like oil all over the transfer case, probably original head gasket. I'd give him 2 cash

Bad Pix _ sorry

Thank you for the info.

The fluid was oily - definitely not water like from the AC bur can it be built up- most likely first time on this year for the AC - Here is one more pick maybe a better location on this one - the leak was behind the front seat area - probably right under at the center pillar area.

DSCN2543.JPG

Thank you for the help.

No way 6000$. Maybe 3000. Looks like oil all over the transfer case, probably original head gasket. I'd give him 2 cash

This is the 4th truck I looked at ans so far the best by a mile - original owner - hard to find quality for that price range in this area - south/east PA. The interior is mint/body clean and the frame will need some work I know .... will keep your input in mind. Thank you

rear heater lines or condensation from the cats leaking out the exhaust?

6K for that? look further for better, go on a road trip to get a rust-free example, spend the same on the rig, airfare, return trip.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/search.php?searchid=5922579

HTH:cheers:

Id say its the rear heater lines leaking . I had to replace mine a couple years ago . If you do buy it you can bypass the rear heater for the summer .
As for the price I would have to see the rest of the truck , but as you know these things get shipped overseas by the boat load here in the NE . Theres a shipping company that I know of that buys at auctions then ships high mileage, poor condition and totaled high end toyotas and other Japanese cars . They pay top dollar and send 50 or more a month to Africa and other 3rd world countries .

rear heater lines or condensation from the cats leaking out the exhaust?

6K for that? look further for better, go on a road trip to get a rust-free example, spend the same on the rig, airfare, return trip.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/search.php?searchid=5922579

HTH:cheers:

I agree with this. I drove 1000 miles to pick up my first 80. It's worth another $500-1000 to have a rust free southern truck. Find one and have a member look at it. Fly or rent a car and pick it up. I'll have to take a pick of my undercarriage so you know how sweet southern trucks are.

x3 on the rust.

It's wonderful being able to slap a socket on a 13 year old bolt that hasn't been touched since the vehicle was put together...and seeing it move without too much effort.

Pass. You are going to miserable everytime you bust a bolt/nut and have to drill and tap and then spend hundreds on hardware.

Ask me how I know.

Look west.....

Last edited:
yea mines a NE cruiser and rust sucks!!!! The price and the timing were right. And i dumped the I suzie q cupcake mobile. I say wait and spend on a rust free or good matainence rig. I do feel you i felt sorry my truck didn't get the love it deserved and decided to scoop it up and start tinkering.

Its a tough choice

Its a tough choice - my offer is 5500, and not a penny more - I am in a position of having to get a daily driver and the budget is 5500 and that is it - the truck is truly clean on the inside and I did not find any rust on the paint. - I have been looking for a while and price and millage (142K) /5500 is a good buy for around here -

Worried about the leak.

Wish the Owner had it sprayed at Krown (rust control - but I think its only in Canada) but I am pretty sure a couple of treatments can stop the progression of rust and help with some of the anticipated bolt removal problems.

Should know tonight what the out come is.

Thanx and please keep your thoughts coming!

T:confused:

If you're in a time crunch there isn't much you can do.
Try to get it to a dealer or mechanic that knows Cruisers for an inspection before buying if you can.

How do the fluids look otherwise?
Carpet wet in back?

If you're in a time crunch there isn't much you can do.
Try to get it to a dealer or mechanic that knows Cruisers for an inspection before buying if you can.

How do the fluids look otherwise?
Carpet wet in back?

Good morning PoorHouse

Fluids looked OK - did not get a chance to check the difs - oil AF and TF looked good.

Someone at work thinks that the leak is a brake line. I think If I go for it - will not have a chance to have it checked out before its in my hands - a little risky .... But it just passed NJ inspection not sure how different that is to PA inspection....

T

If it was a brake line you would have known rightaway by there being no brakes on your test drive , Still thinking the rear heater lines

Good morning PoorHouse

Fluids looked OK - did not get a chance to check the difs - oil AF and TF looked good.

Someone at work thinks that the leak is a brake line. I think If I go for it - will not have a chance to have it checked out before its in my hands - a little risky .... But it just passed NJ inspection not sure how different that is to PA inspection....

T

If you lost that amount of brake fluid Id think the brakes would feel funny and/or not work too great.
Another vote for heater lines..

D

If it's not too late, here is a search tool to search craigslist by state.

States

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom