60 A/C not blowing cold ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to sell my 60 (just got an 80) but I would like to take care of some small issues in the mean time, Last year the a/c worked great, this year.....nothing. Any guidance on where to start. Thanks.

When you push the A/C button, does the compressor engage and the idle speed up? If yes, then look at the sight glass and if you see bubbles, you're low on refrigerant. The expansion valve could also be stuck, but you'll need gauges to know. If the compressor doesn't come on, it could be electrical (a tripped circut breaker or blown fuse), or the system might be low enough on refrigerant, that the pressure switch won't allow the compressor to come on.

This list is only a sampling of what could be wrong, but it gives you a place to start.

Good luck,
Rex

Last year the a/c worked great, this year.....nothing. Any guidance on where to start. Thanks.

If the compressor doesn't come on, it could be electrical (a tripped circut breaker or blown fuse), or the system might be low enough on refrigerant, that the pressure switch won't allow the compressor to come on.

If your compresor does not come on, you may have a refrigerant leak. When this is the case, most systems leak when they are not being used.

ML

If you need parts, buy 'em from 1972FJ55 (AC shop in AZ)

SUPPORT Arizona Business NOW !!!

??

idle does not change, so I assume compressor is not coming on. fuse checked ok. Do these take R-134. Can I buy a recharge bottle at autozone and try that. If so where in the engine do I connect the recharge bottle. forgive my lack of knowledge, trying to learn. Thanks

The system was originally R12. If the fittings on the compressor are threaded, than it should still be R12. If the fittings don't have thread, than it has probably been retro-fitted to R134. You don't want to mix the gasses. You would fill it on the suction side of the system. Look at the two hoses that connect to the compressor. The larger diameter one is the suction side (it comes from the firewall (evaporator) up to the compressor. It will be the side closest to the engine-marked "S". Adjacent to the connection at the compressor is the fitting that you fill the system thru.

Straight forward information

The system was originally R12. If the fittings on the compressor are threaded, than it should still be R12. If the fittings don't have thread, than it has probably been retro-fitted to R134. You don't want to mix the gasses. You would fill it on the suction side of the system. Look at the two hoses that connect to the compressor. The larger diameter one is the suction side (it comes from the firewall (evaporator) up to the compressor. It will be the side closest to the engine-marked "S". Adjacent to the connection at the compressor is the fitting that you fill the system thru.

1972fj55, I have no problems w/my A/C, but I appreciate the info you are providing us. Have bookmarked your www.coolstream.com for future reference.

Thanks, John

it looks like it is still r-12. i have heard you can retro-fit to R-134. difficult??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom