ham handle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sl33p3

still waking up...
Threads
oh my bologna has a first name... it's KF5GRA

only took them 2+weeks, gotta love the gobm'nt

-john

That's about right when you factor in processing time at this end, first class mail to where ever, then processing time at their end. Congrates. Welcome to the geek club.

That's about right when you factor in processing time at this end, first class mail to where ever, then processing time at their end. Congrates. Welcome to the geek club.

thanks pappy.

You gonna pass out Cuban pocket protectors at the meeting?

Congratulations! and welcome to the Geek Club.

Now it's time to shop for a radio. Don't you like it that there's always (at least) one more thing to spend $$$ on?!?

After Cruise Moab, I am even more totally sold on Ham. Pappy gave a brief description of carnage on Golden Spike. Ham radio saved our tushies on that run. We were able to communicate among our own trail group across many miles, and then coordinate with the CM Base Camp to have parts "flown in" from 15 - 20 miles away! We would never have been able to do that with CB.

Again, welcome to the club. I think that you will find that it's a life saver.

so i have acquired a used Yaesu VX-5 for now. i have adapted the antenna mount for rubber duck or dual band mag mount on the rig via SMA to BNC to coax. I'm sure i'll end up with a dedicated mobile in the cruiser someday, but i want to try this setup out and see what i think... plus it's super portable.

on a cb range side note, i plugged in my swr meter for my cb for the first time (firefly 4' tunable ant) and untuned i was at a SWR of ~2.7 near ch40 :eek:, i'm now down to 1.2 at 40, i tuned closer to 40 since that is where we seem to use them... 1.2 or lower btwn ch20 and 40. i realize my 5W of cb power even tuned will never touch the 50W in a good mobile HAM radio, but every little bit helps with whatever we got... IMHO...

John, your 5W of CB will not out match 5W at 2M.

As Evan said, I was able to communicate with BFE base at just over 20 miles away over terrain. Mobile to mobile was a little weak, but considering how strong CheeseMan was coming in I suspect they had a base setup. Regardless, communication occurred and we were able to coordinate a parts delivery. Also, while we did have intermittent cell phone coverage during the run, at the time Tor sheared his studs we did not have communication with the phones.

Ham rocks, and that is that.

so i have acquired a used Yaesu VX-5 for now. i have adapted the antenna mount for rubber duck or dual band mag mount on the rig via SMA to BNC to coax. I'm sure i'll end up with a dedicated mobile in the cruiser someday, but i want to try this setup out and see what i think... plus it's super portable.

You can buy amps for the handheld, but pricey. Antenna upgrade is the best.

I prefer 2m/70cm dual bands with cross-band repeat capability. I have a 2m in my truck which I find limiting as I need the 70cm side on occasion. I just bought a dual band mobile for my FJ40. I have been in situations over the past 15 years where I had to put my dual band HT into cross-band repeat and hoist it up into a tree for emergency repeater situations, communication support for SAR, and special events. Now I will have a mobile rig with cross-band repeat (much better).

John, your 5W of CB will not out match 5W at 2M.

As Evan said, I was able to communicate with BFE base at just over 20 miles away over terrain. Mobile to mobile was a little weak, but considering how strong CheeseMan was coming in I suspect they had a base setup. Regardless, communication occurred and we were able to coordinate a parts delivery. Also, while we did have intermittent cell phone coverage during the run, at the time Tor sheared his studs we did not have communication with the phones.

Ham rocks, and that is that.

yup, understood Jon, and i agree. but if a tree falls in the forest, and noone is around, who hears it? i've been on runs where there was only CB for comm and i was really just commenting on how badly tuned my cb antenna was out of the box. i look forward to all the advantages of HAM... and is certainly my preference.

CB will be with the hobby and in our club for a long time because we try to accommodate the lowest common denominator and there are some that just won't do what it takes to get up to speed with amateur radio. A truck equipped with a HAM radio is the future of our hobby though, you can be sure of that.

I think a good 50w 2M radio & long range antenna should be required early in the build process for anyone that considers their rig an 'expedition' truck.

-Mike-

CB will be with the hobby and in our club for a long time because we try to accommodate the lowest common denominator and there are some that just won't do what it takes to get up to speed with amateur radio. A truck equipped with a HAM radio is the future of our hobby though, you can be sure of that.

I think a good 50w 2M radio & long range antenna should be required early in the build process for anyone that considers their rig an 'expedition' truck.

-Mike-

CB is not going anywhere. It is still an inexpensive tool for communication on the trail where vehicles are close together.

A comment on antennas. You can't beat a long range antenna like the SBB-7, SBB-5, or CA2X4. Problem is, I've broken antennas four times hitting them on things like trees. Mike has too. Also having a small flexible antenna is a good idea. The SBB-1 "rubber duck" is a great example. Mike and Evan saw my new SS-680 in Moab. It is longer with more gain than the SBB-1, but is made out of spring steel and has a spring-loaded base. It survived. I would recommend it over the SBB-1.

CB is not going anywhere. It is still an inexpensive tool for communication on the trail where vehicles are close together.

A comment on antennas. You can't beat a long range antenna like the SBB-7, SBB-5, or CA2X4. Problem is, I've broken antennas four times hitting them on things like trees. Mike has too. Also having a small flexible antenna is a good idea. The SBB-1 "rubber duck" is a great example. Mike and Evan saw my new SS-680 in Moab. It is longer with more gain than the SBB-1, but is made out of spring steel and has a spring-loaded base. It survived. I would recommend it over the SBB-1.

good to know on real world antenna tests for durability and performance. well without knowing the exact one i have (i might be able to figure it out at home, i bought it at the last hamfest tailgate thing), it is certainly spring steel to large mag mount (~19" length i think) and is 2m-70cm ranged, but no spring flex mount. i plan to just have it on the roof as needed until i get a mobile (love the yaesu ft-8800) and go for a permanent antenna mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom