Tacoma Xtra Cab and a Car Seat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys...
Do any of you have experience with an xtra cab Taco and putting a car seat in it? I know ican just put one up front... but, am interested in knowing if i can make one work in the 'back' (still inside the cab, of course).

Obviously, I am interested in the safest possible config. for my daughter, but am very limited on $$ and at the same time I need a pick up truck for house renovation, towing, etc... 99.9% of the time we will have her in my wife's car- but on those occassions I need to pick her up... you get the idea.

I am looking at buying one as a DD and would like to know if it is even possible.

I am not making any decisions yet- just asking the question... so be gentle!

Thanks guys. :cheers:

What year? I had a first year (96) and put a car seat in the back. It was a tight fit for my then 1 year old, had to slide the passenger seat way forward. The older style Tacos didn't have the rear doors. As such it wasn't the best but it worked OK for the occasional pickup/dropoff at daycare. Overall it was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

I used to have a 1997 Tacoma Xtra cab and there wasn't much room in it so I am guessing no. Even if you could fit it your daughter would be kicking the back seat in no time if she isn't already.

I think once we flip the car seat around in my double cab Tundra Brooke will be kicking the seat and I can fit adults in there fairly comfortably unlike the Taco.

What are you driving now? How about getting an old military trailer instead of a pickup. What else do you need to tow?

It might fit in a '05+ model, that's when they added the rear access door to the Xcab model. Find one on a lot somewhere, see if it fits.

What year? I had a first year (96) and put a car seat in the back. It was a tight fit for my then 1 year old, had to slide the passenger seat way forward. The older style Tacos didn't have the rear doors. As such it wasn't the best but it worked OK for the occasional pickup/dropoff at daycare. Overall it was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

I am thinking as new as i can go for around $8-$10k... so probably the newer style. As i search (this morning) it's looking like i could get into a four door for that kind of $$... still just beginning the search.

I used to have a 1997 Tacoma Xtra cab and there wasn't much room in it so I am guessing no. Even if you could fit it your daughter would be kicking the back seat in no time if she isn't already.

I think once we flip the car seat around in my double cab Tundra Brooke will be kicking the seat and I can fit adults in there fairly comfortably unlike the Taco.

What are you driving now? How about getting an old military trailer instead of a pickup. What else do you need to tow?

Hey Jason! Yeah- I hear you on the kicking... Maddy is full of energy- especially sitting in the car. we are looking to lose one of the two car payments we are making. Probably get rid of the Subaru and keep the X3- both of those have reasonable room.

I would DD the forty, but it needs some big work to make it more comfortable... suspension is VERY rough. Plus- i work in downtown Springfield- park in a garage (or am at the airport garage) and RHD getting into any garage on a regular basis actually hurts at my age- the gymnastics to get over to the card reader is pretty damn comical! easy with the top off, but winding the wnindow down, squatting across the cab activating the gate reader and NOT dropping the damn card out the window takes about two hours off of my day- LOL! it's like doing yoga in my 40 each time (I think- never actually 'done' yoga- but i digress)

Anyway- a cursory search is proving a bit positive on the four door possibility- wouldn't pass on a Tundra either- i'll give you $7500.00 for yours!! :D

Jamie.

It might fit in a '05+ model, that's when they added the rear access door to the Xcab model. Find one on a lot somewhere, see if it fits.

Good suggestion- a guy i work with just bought a 2010 xtra cab (bastard!) '05-'10 same dims? I'll look taht up.

thanks.
Jamie

Anyway- a cursory search is proving a bit positive on the four door possibility- wouldn't pass on a Tundra either- i'll give you $7500.00 for yours!! :D

I love my Tundra. I think you are a digit short though. :doh:

Yeah RHD isn't much fun in drive thru either without a passenger.

If you do look into the older Tundra's (2000 - 2006) and tacomas (1995-2004) be aware of the frame rot issue. My cousins truck has been at the dealer for over a month awaiting a new frame. If it switched hands after the recall I don't know that it will be covered. If you get one look a really good frame and consider having it oil undercoated or get one of the trucks where the frame was replaced.

I thought with the Tacoma's that they were buying back you needed to own it prior to March 1, 2008? I thought they were doing this to keep people from buying rusted out trucks from unsuppsecting owners and then turning them into Toyota for a boat load.

I had a 96 Tacoma extra cab and had my two boys in the back seats for for until one was 8 and the other was 3...one was in a car seat, the other in a booster. The older boy got a little cramped towards the end, which was our reason for selling the truck. Hope that helps.

I had a 96 Tacoma extra cab and had my two boys in the back seats for for until one was 8 and the other was 3...one was in a car seat, the other in a booster. The older boy got a little cramped towards the end, which was our reason for selling the truck. Hope that helps.

That does help- thanks man. :cheers:

I've been lurking in the FS section in the classsifieds- I may be sold on a 100 series... the wife loves them and there seems to be much better deals out there- don't see many tacos (probably with good reason... no one wants to get rid of them!!) ugh. decisions, decisions... :bang:

Thanks again.

That does help- thanks man. :cheers:

I've been lurking in the FS section in the classsifieds- I may be sold on a 100 series... the wife loves them and there seems to be much better deals out there- don't see many tacos (probably with good reason... no one wants to get rid of them!!) ugh. decisions, decisions... :bang:

Thanks again.

The late 90's Tacoma is really a great truck but if you are looking for a vehicle to accomodate the kids for 4-6 years I would opt for a double cab or a different vehicle. Its a squeeze to get the kids in and out of the extra cab. The 100 series is a great truck....you'll find a lot of help on the board for those trucks.

Or...just step up to a Tundra....all the space and utility as well....same gas mileage.

I am thinking as new as i can go for around $8-$10k... so probably the newer style. As i search (this morning) it's looking like i could get into a four door for that kind of $$... still just beginning the search.

Newer style 4 door $8-$10k? I was looking a couple months ago and couldn't find anything for less than $15k.

My 00 xtra cab taco could fit a car seat in back, but the front seat had to be almost all the way forward.

Newer style 4 door $8-$10k? I was looking a couple months ago and couldn't find anything for less than $15k.

My 00 xtra cab taco could fit a car seat in back, but the front seat had to be almost all the way forward.

Yep. not having much luck- changing my search over to a mid nineties 80 or similar... it's been fun, and frustrating at the same time! :bang:

there's a BEAUTIFUL 60 in southern california https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-trailers-sale-wanted/385180-1987-fj60-built-expo-ready.html that i am in love with ... trying to warm the :princess: up to it... we'll see. i want it BAD... :frown:
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom