Gas Tank Strap Felt? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BJEC69

SILVER Star
Threads
Any of you fellow purists have a souce for replacement felt that goes between the fuel tank and the hold down straps. OEM/NOS does not seem to be available. My origininals are still pretty decent, but thought I'd see if there is a new alternative. Thanks, :cheers:Brendon

Any of you fellow purists have a souce for replacement felt that goes between the fuel tank and the hold down straps. OEM/NOS does not seem to be available. My origininals are still pretty decent, but thought I'd see if there is a new alternative. Thanks, :cheers:Brendon

Good question :)

I just cleaned my old ones and let them dry and they were great :)

What did you use to clean them?

Toyota used the felt between the bottom of the tank and tub too. Felt allows the area to dry while rubber lets the area to stay wet.

Thanks!:steer:

Toyota used the felt between the bottom of the tank and tub too. Felt allows the area to dry while rubber lets the area to stay wet.
:hmm:
.... if I place a piece of rubber and a piece of felt overnight in a glass of water the felt absorbes the water, the rubber don`t.
The felt need a longer time to get dry after that.... means in my opinion rubber prevents rust in this areas better than felt....
maybe we have different water in Europe and the USA
so the rubber absorbs more water in the USA than the felt do. :D
Cheers
Peter

:hmm:
.... if I place a piece of rubber and a piece of felt overnight in a glass of water the felt absorbes the water, the rubber don`t.
The felt need a longer time to get dry after that.... means in my opinion rubber prevents rust in this areas better than felt....
maybe we have different water in Europe and the USA
so the rubber absorbs more water in the USA than the felt do. :D
Cheers
Peter

The problem is water gets between the rubber and the tank or tub and it's sealed in and wouldn't dry that fast. Felt lets it's breath so it will dry much quicker. This is the reason I pull the rubber floor mats out when ever the floor gets wets. It's the worst of both. The under side has a material that will hold the water and the rubber floor mats that seals it in. Even with living in a desert things will rust. Plenty of AZ cruisers with the rear sills rusted out. My 68 is rust free because I've kept everthing clean and dry. Anytime I pick up a early cruiser I pull the gas tank and clean under it. Dirt under the tank will promote rust. The best is just the few pieces of felt that came stock (more is not better) this will let it breath and stay dry.:cheers:

The problem is water gets between the rubber and the tank or tub and it's sealed in and wouldn't dry that fast. Felt lets it's breath so it will dry much quicker. This is the reason I pull the rubber floor mats out when ever the floor gets wets. It's the worst of both. The under side has a material that will hold the water and the rubber floor mats that seals it in. Even with living in a desert things will rust. Plenty of AZ cruisers with the rear sills rusted out. My 68 is rust free because I've kept everthing clean and dry. Anytime I pick up a early cruiser I pull the gas tank and clean under it. Dirt under the tank will promote rust. The best is just the few pieces of felt that came stock (more is not better) this will let it breath and stay dry.:cheers:
Ok ;)....
good in your dry area there`s a lot of dry (hot) breeze that let the felt dry quickly, but in other areas with a high humidity the felt will never dry. Best (what I prefer) is to use grease for exposed parts.
Without " greasing" my 43 the last 30 years it would look like ...
rost.jpg

Cheers
Peter ;)

Ok ;)....
good in your dry area there`s a lot of dry (hot) breeze that let the felt dry quickly.

The words "dry breeze" are being more than kind. I think of it more like a blast furnace. But it does make it easy to keep things from rusting. I picked up a clean frame with a poor paint job back in 1995. Kept it in the garage since. Up until two years ago the gas clothes dryer was vent into the garage. It now is store in a detached garage at the home I moved into. Over the years it has had the paint chipped off in areas. Where the paint is gone it doesn't even have surface rust. I do agree that grease is a big help. I coat bolts on the underside with it. Helps when removing the small bolts for the tunnel cover and such.

:cheers:
John

Anyone tried re-gluing the original felt then soaking with waxoil?

This would repel most moisture hopefully, and also allowing it to breath and dry naturally, so getting the best of both worlds?

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom