Shave the head? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting the head machined tomorrow, and Im wondering if I should have the head shaved while I'm at it? What would be the power gain be vs the loss in engine life? An how much would I shave the head if I did it?

I don't think I'd shave the head unless you are going all out with the engine; like a turbo and cam. Cause you will have to re-do a lot of the engine measurements I believe. And it also depends on why you are pulling the head off. Blown HG, low compression in one cylinder, bent valve?

For the price I'd just get the head resurfaced. (What I did) Once you do all the work the engine will be more powerful anyway, because you will feel accomplished about getting the engine in better running order.

Not discouraging the idea. Just offering advice. :D

Well then the idea sounds like something that won't happen haha. I am pulling it because of a blown hg. And advice is what I was looking for haha

x2 for Magnaflux.

I don't like sounding like a bad kid over the internet. So I counteract it with this :D

That's all I'll do. I just felt like dreaming for a bit :D

Shave it. Also make sure they look and make sure it's not been shaved before. Also get them to tap plug the oil galley plug.

The head is out. Do it right once.

Just had a head done. Valve, Shaved 40, and the oil galley tapped and plugged for $165 out the door.

It's too late unfortunately, it's already done lol

If I had it shaved what all would I have to change?

it's called Squish Area..
Compression Ratio , But then again , What head gasket thickness was installed, ??, This all plus flow and deeper than tech forum..
Anyways , alway know before you remove metal YOU cannot replace.
Blowen Head gasket is a end result of another problem, Why did it get over heated ?? or was it Poor Coolant eat ??

500K and still the same head and pan gasket.

VT

If I had it shaved what all would I have to change?
Nothing needs changed.

Since the head was overheated, warped and blew a head gasket, it must be shaved to insure the new gasket lasts.

Raising the CR a small amount will slightly improve engine efficiency and lifespan.

There will be time to do the job right next time the gasket pops.

The head gasket blew because my thermostat went out and i could see my house as it overheated... shouldve just stopped on the side of the road haha

got it back today.. they had to shave it .028" to make it flush... man that baby was warped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom