Can't remove the steering stabilizer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am installing my ProComp stabilizer and I can't get the original off the bracket that bolts to the frame. I was able to use a tie rod fork to get it off the tie rod.

Would a pittman puller work or should I stop being a wuss and just hit it harder?

harder, torch, BFH :)

I knew I was missing something....FIRE! lol

I have pretty much beat the bolt down to nothing at this point it's driving me crazy.

I dont remember exactly what I did other than i know I went and bought a Mapp torch, used a pickle fork and lots of hammering. Nothing was left of the old when off LOL.

although your talking the bracket side right? That side gave me zero issues.

Did you remember step 6?

lol some jackass neighbor of mine already jacked up the tie rod end with a grinder when he *knew* what was needed to get it off...I was out at a job interview when he worked on it.

Needless to say the new tie rod end will be in this week on his dime and he now has an electric dog collar to keep him away from my truck.

I don't drink so I replaced step 6 with Gatorade. :D

I tried a torch, didn't seem to do much.

Pickle fork and a BFH did the trick.

Should I bolt it back to the truck before the BFH? I took it off to try and whack it against the concrete but wound up digging into the pavement.

No checked with a neighbor and he don't have his anymore either.

Mine was a huge PITA too. I ended up using a torch, get it hot, red hot, then beat it with a BFH, preferably while its in a vice. You may have to soak it overnight with PB or liquid wrench, soak it in the morning, then hit it with the torch again tomorrow.

When in doubt always listen to the Puerto Rican they know how to break parts loose lol

I will get a torch and a bigger hammer tomorrow I was using a 2lb maul but am going to move up to a 4lb.

Go buy a vice from Harbor Freight for like $30. It'll make it a snap.

$21.99 Ball Joint Separator from Harbor Freight, too easy!! Just make sure you're not in the line of fire when the joint lets go!

When in doubt always listen to the Puerto Rican they know how to break parts loose lol

I will get a torch and a bigger hammer tomorrow I was using a 2lb maul but am going to move up to a 4lb.

I'm about to replace one, I got the fork and the BFH ready. Pictures coming...

i just used a balljoint seperator but it was a real bastard to get apart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom