"Crash Course" in Idle Mixture and Idle speed and distributor stuff? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With photos, maybe?

My 40 is stalling out every now and then and I have to keep my choke pulled slightly even at running temps (160-170) or it will stall a little bit, or run kinda rough. I replaced the fuel filter and it still skips a beat sometimes and "coughs" (hiccups? I dunno) Basically it loses power for a bit.. Imagine pulling your foot off the gas and stomping back down on it immediately.

Is it running too rich? My "comfortable" idle speed is around 1k-1200rpm. It stalls ocassionally if it's less than that. When i adjust the choke it takes a couple seconds or so before it reacts, and sometimes it flip flops a little bit between a lower and higher idle speed.

Any ideas?

1 plugs - No
2 plug wires - They seem intact ;p
3 timing, with a timing light - I don't know what that is
4 vacuum leaks - I don't know how to
5 battery voltage - Voltage seems good
6 points (if you have them) - Don't know what that is
7 tappet noise - Don't know what this is
8 gas tank vent - Cap is on tight (?)
9 carb base bolts tight - No
10 Are you out of beer - Yes

#10 are you out of beer? Thats awesome

x2 on the tappet noise.... what is that?? Mine does make a ticking sounds (when it runs, whiCh isn't often b/c something is wrong).

Mine taps. Well it kind of sounds like a diesel engine when it's running. But that is any Land Cruiser I have ever been in.

Any ideas?

If it won't idle at 650 RPM, then either it is getting too much air or not enough fuel at idle.
Check:

1. Idle fuel cut off solenoid operation. It should click when the key is turned on. If it clicks, try turning out the idle mixture screw a couple of turns CCW.

2. Check for manifold vacuum leaks. Rund the engine at as low a speed as it will run at. Spray carb cleaner or propane gas around all the connections to the mainifold. The engine will speed up when you spray if there is a leak in the vicinity.

2. Check for manifold vacuum leaks. Rund the engine at as low a speed as it will run at. Spray carb cleaner or propane gas around all the connections to the mainifold. The engine will speed up when you spray if there is a leak in the vicinity.

I thought the engine slowed down when you spray propane? Maybe it depends?

It would slow if you sprayed an inert gas, like CO2, nitrogen, argon or even water. If it burns, like propane, it will speed up if the idle mix is lean due to a vacuum leak.

It would slow if you sprayed an inert gas, like CO2, nitrogen, argon or even water. If it burns, like propane, it will speed up if the idle mix is lean due to a vacuum leak.

OK. Makes sense. I have heard that propane is better than carb cleaner because it is easier for the molecules to get sucked in around a leaking manifold gasket. Has that been your experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom