Brake Line Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am replacing my front and rear drum brakes on my '71 with discs. I have the Monte Carlo calipers for the rear and pickup calipers up front. The fronts are still the original solid rotors.

All of my brake hard lines appear to be in great shape so I think they are still usable. For drum brakes at least.

The master and booster will come from a Chevy full size vehicle (from Speedway).

Question: Are the stock hard brake line sizes OK for discs or should up replace the lines with a larger diameter? Now is the time with the body being off.

Steve

Question: Are the stock hard brake line sizes OK for discs or should up replace the lines with a larger diameter? Now is the time with the body being off.

Disc brake hoses are not going to be ‘larger’ than drum; however, the fittings are likely going to be a different size and they are probably going to be a different length....

If you are installing a lift, I would install longer frame to axle hoses for sure.

As far as brake hoses for the front axle, I would decided if you are going to run the stone guards or not.

With the rear, there are just two caliper hoses that need to be used from the brake line on the axle to the caliper.

:beer:

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably get some steel braided hoses made up, but I am actually thinking about the steel lines on the axles as well as along the frame and up to the master cylinder. Are the stock steel lines sufficient if they are still in good shape?

Steve

Disc brake hoses are not going to be ‘larger’ than drum; however, the fittings are likely going to be a different size and they are probably going to be a different length....

If you are installing a lift, I would install longer frame to axle hoses for sure.

As far as brake hoses for the front axle, I would decided if you are going to run the stone guards or not.

With the rear, there are just two caliper hoses that need to be used from the brake line on the axle to the caliper.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom