My 80 is dead!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i hope you all can help. before you flame me too badly, i have done much searching and reading. here is my problem. 1996 with 204k. went out last night to pick up kids from soccer. turn key to on, wait couple of seconds as usual. got the usual sounds and dash lights,etc. turn key to start, and nothing: no starter, no clicks, all lights go out on dash. no headlight,brake light, no horn. no door locks,etc. within last 2 weeks have done:valve cover gasket, plugs and seals, dizzy o-ring,Slee light harness, and coolant flush/fill. absolutely no probs until last night. so far i have checked battery-shows 100% charge,disconnected battery a couple different times to see if anything would"reset". no changes. there is an aftermarket alarm system previously installed. all i know about it is the key fob says "Crime Stopper" it was working fine before this event. now after the battery disconnect, the alarm horn goes on when i close the drivers door,and off when i open it. the key fob does nothing. i have tried combos of key on/push fob button, open door with key,push fob, turn key/push what i think is Valet" button. could this be a "Kill Switch" in the alarm issue, or something else. before i begin dismantling and probing the relays/fuses etc., i welcome any thoughts you all may have. thanks

Bad connection for the fusible links / wires that provides power to the chassis.

You might want to yank the aftermarket alarm if you have one to see. And check your starter too. I would just replace it to be on the safe side. My starter gave me h*ll.

I would check the fusible links, starter, and alarm.

ITS ALIVE!!!

thanks for those that posted. turns out is was a bad Negative post/ground connection. the positive/fusible links were good. wow am i happy now. i was dreading a major excavation to dig out that alarm. it threw me that the alarm was still somewhat funtional. MUD is the best. now i can get on with my birf/axel job this weekend.:cheers:

You might want to yank the aftermarket alarm if you have one to see. And check your starter too. I would just replace it to be on the safe side. My starter gave me h*ll.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all that usually goes wrong with Denso starters is that the a single $10 contact wear out (the other one is usually fine). Its a $10 fix to put them in and you're good for another 200K

Actually, it's 2 contacts and together they cost $12 or so. I was also puzzled by the "wait 2 seconds" comment. If that's happening, then you're flirting with an engine fire due to a starter that's ready to weld its contacts together. Or are you saying the security system causes this delay every time when you try to start as a "feature"?

DougM

Trust me, it is so worth it to dive in and gut the aftermarket alarm. I hated that thing.

Actually, it's 2 contacts and together they cost $12 or so. I was also puzzled by the "wait 2 seconds" comment. If that's happening, then you're flirting with an engine fire due to a starter that's ready to weld its contacts together. Or are you saying the security system causes this delay every time when you try to start as a "feature"?

DougM
no, i just turn key to "on", give the fuel pump a quick second, then to start. i guess ive always done it that way. is that bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom