Body Lift - UHMW Buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not bad. I think I'll stick with the mechanical fan though. :cheers:

Good dea, when i lived in socal it would get really hot. It was nice to stop for lunch and leave the fans running, or to kill them all together for deep water.

-Matt

i like the head lights.

actually going away from the stock fan has its plus side. going to this set up would allow for better cooling performance as well as less parasitic drag on the motor itself resulting in better acceleration, power, and minimal milage gains.
only real drawback i can see would be that you probably want to have the entire system on a toggle switch for river crossings. that is if you even ever plan on making any that deep. that way you could cut power so as not to short it out in the water. all though this is more hassle in hooking things up it is also an advantage. stock fans that are spinning have to fight against the dense water and make the motor feel very sluggish. this is all of course under the assumption that any of us would take a water crossing deeper than the bottom of the fan.

how do you have it activated now?

ok so i guess there is one other draw back of dual electric fans........PRICE. At
least that is if you go with the FAL set up. but i wouldnt want to risk over heating my engine because i wanted to save some coin by running a cheap no name made in china ebay special.

actually going away from the stock fan has its plus side. going to this set up would allow for better cooling performance as well as less parasitic drag on the motor itself resulting in better acceleration, power, and minimal milage gains.
only real drawback i can see would be that you probably want to have the entire system on a toggle switch for river crossings. that is if you even ever plan on making any that deep. that way you could cut power so as not to short it out in the water. all though this is more hassle in hooking things up it is also an advantage. stock fans that are spinning have to fight against the dense water and make the motor feel very sluggish. this is all of course under the assumption that any of us would take a water crossing deeper than the bottom of the fan.

how do you have it activated now?

I don't think that dual electric will be any more effective cooling than OEM. For one thing, there is such a thing as running too cool. If the electric fans pull more air through, then they can actually keep the radiator overly cool which can cause problems (there's a reason that Toyota has a specific operating temperature).

The mechanical fan works extremely well. It's designed to function in environments well over 100+ under extreme loads and keep going. The problem that we have is many peoples cooling system is poorly (if at all) maintained. I'd be willing to bet that simply replacing the fan clutch fluid in half the 80's in JSC would greatly improve the performance of the clutch fan.

The fluid does break down (really wear out) over time, and the more worn out it is the worse the clutch fan performs. Add that to coolant that hasn't been changed in too long, sludge in radiators, leaking hoses/tanks/caps that let air in (or coolant out), etc etc etc, and you have a recipe for a poorly performing system.

As for parasitic load, electrical fans have their own parasitic load as they cause the alternator to work harder. So it's not a "free" power gain as many sales pitches like to make out, you're really just transferring the load from one object (clutch fan) to another (alternator). Plus the clutch fan goes anywhere from spinning nearly freely to completely locked depending on the operating temperature, while many electric cooling fans are simply on or off (or at best have a more limited range of operation).

I have nothing against electric fans, there is one sitting in front of my radiator to assist with cooling for high load/low speed situations. I just wouldn't swap the mechanical fan for an electric one (or two). At best, it's a break even move. Just my two centavos.

E and Guys,

Sorry for the hijack, didn't mean to turn this into a fan thread... Sorry E.

Yes my fans are on a switch... Today I logged 842 miles in 14hrs coming across on HWY 80 from NJ. Pretty much the whole time running at 74 MPH on cruise, fans off.

I the ram air at 74MPH is plenty and as E said you can have a reverse effect.

I went for this set up when I lived down in SoCal where we had lots of slow crawl, hot dry heat trails. I found they worked really well. But E is right the stock fan and shroud is hard to beat. I'm just one of those guys that goes outside the box and try's stuff. Back 4yrs ago when no one would put 37's on an 80, I was "that guy" same with the 2" body lift.

Its good to have been gone and now see some more folks are wheeling 80's and thinking outside the box.

-Matt

Sorry for the hijack, didn't mean to turn this into a fan thread... Sorry E.

Not a hijack really. The fan is a big deal for any body lift, so it's good info. :cheers:

Its good to have been gone and now see some more folks are wheeling 80's and thinking outside the box.

Absolutely. I've tried some things myself that turned out to not really work the way I had hoped (or been better than OEM). I love it when people go outside the box, even if it doesn't work out the way you had hoped. Good stuff.

not a hijack at all. my question was directly related to this possibly being a mod in conjunction with the body lift to fix a known problem with doing the lift. alternator drag does not change cause it is a fixed pulley as opposed to the fan witch is mounted on a clutch. the extra draw of current if coupled with aux lights and such can reduce the life of your alt though.
like i said gains are minimal at best. i would only consider it if i went with a body lift so big it was needed.
and i already have a blue hub, thanks to gabe. that i actually still need to put on.

alternator drag does not change cause it is a fixed pulley as opposed to the fan witch is mounted on a clutch. the extra draw of current if coupled with aux lights and such can reduce the life of your alt though.

Actually that's not true. The more draw on the alternator that you have, the harder it is to turn.

A formula I found regarding HP loss from alt drain:

Amps x Volts = Watts
Watts / 745.7 (one HP) = HP (Electrical HP Produced by the Alternator)
HP x 15% Efficiency Loss = HP Loss
HP + HP Loss = Total HP Used

Electric fans can run 10-30 amps to run. So you're talking about less than 1 HP of power lost which is basically unnoticeable....but I highly doubt that the mechanical fan robs you of that much HP to begin with.

As per Toyota's docs, over a certain speed (20-30 MPH IIRC) the cooling system is about 90% cooled by wind and 10% cooled by the fan. The fan does make a small difference even at speed, but we're talking about a handful of degrees of difference.

My clutch fan fluid was completely broken down which meant that the fan never spun at more than idle speed (would never lock up) regardless of temp. The temp difference at speed was not large between the stock fan with broke down fluid and the modified blue clutch fan. The butt dyno also said there was no noticeable power loss, even though the blue clutch fan would rob power when it locked up.

Nothing wrong with electric fans, but it's kinda a case of "if it ain't broke." :meh:

Back on the order, I placed the order but I'm not sure it went through correctly. I actually placed it over the weekend, but when I checked on it today it wasn't placed. :confused:

I just resubmitted it, and will double check it. Hopefully it'll get out the door today or tomorrow, might have it as soon as the end of the week.

/me edits

Got an order confirmation e-mailed to me this time.

How does the next few Saturdays look for folks?

Last edited:
definite maybe

did you call your credit/debit card to see if it had been charged?

I may have to fly it by ear on an install date as i've been working a lot of saturdays on overtime.

I was only charged once for it. Just looks like the order didn't go through the first time for some reason.

Any word on the UHMW arriving? I have a time tomorrow am until 2 or 3.

Haven't gotten it yet, so doesn't look like this weekend is gonna happen. How about the following Sat?

UHMW arrived today. A nice large black 6' rod. :lol:

So is Sat a go for all interested parties? There will likely be some left over if anyone wants to jump in on it. :hmm:

I should be good to go. Earlier the better. Pretty sure Kate works Sat late afternoon so I will need to get home to watch the little one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom