Front end service..I got issues... I think ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Buttoned up my '93 FZJ80 this aftrenoon after a full front end, birf included, service and left the truck on jack stands so I could cycle the 'systems' and the transmission. Had changed fluid and I wanted to make sure everything moved and performed as it should.

Ran the truck in gear and all wheels rotated except the front DS. Figured the pads are too tight since I swapped in new rotors and series 100 pads. Pulled the caliper, made sure pistons were free and took a hair off the pad so it didn't fit so tight against the rotor. Fit the caliper loosly making sure the hub could rotate... and it did. However the PS didn't, it was 'stuck' and not moving.

What's going on here ? Did I not assemble something correctly ? Am I being over critical, over thinking something ? I thought all 4 wheels were spozed' to drive ? Will everything eventually free up once there is load on the truck ?

Enlighten me pls...

Rgds...jonathan

Sorry I dont have the answer but I am interested in the diagnosis. Subscribed!:)

Pulled the caliper, made sure pistons were free and took a hair off the pad so it didn't fit so tight against the rotor.

took a hair off? do you meen the brake pad material or the metal backing? Look at the hub to see if the inside edge of the brake pad metal backing is rubbing. If you can't see anything, take the pad out & see if it is shiny on the inside (toward the bearings) edge. Maybe you need to grind a little more off.

This might expose me for the mechanical moron I am, but...

Shouldn't the gearing in the diff multiply the speed of rotation for the other tire if one gets bound up? If it isn't doing that, wouldn't that give a hint as to what's up in there?

locked up front rear and center? if you are running open diffs I'd expect this would happen.

Open diffs = 2 wheel drive ... :D

took a hair off? do you meen the brake pad material or the metal backing? Look at the hub to see if the inside edge of the brake pad metal backing is rubbing. If you can't see anything, take the pad out & see if it is shiny on the inside (toward the bearings) edge. Maybe you need to grind a little more off.

Took a hair of the actual pads. Ran them over a wide belt sander very quickly, maybe took off a mm or so. Enough to let the rotor now turn thru' the caliper.

Pls, I need more answers....

put it on the ground and see what it does

You may have already tried this, but can you rotate that wheel by hand? Or could you when up on jackstands? Any comparision to rotating the other wheel? just a thought.

So, it seems like the consensus is that I don't have a problem ? Wierd...

As always, Thanks to you all for the replies and advice !

You don't have a problem. With all 4 wheels in the air in high range, a tight set of new pads would indeed be enough to keep a wheel from rotating with unlocked center and fr/rr differentials. Normal differential behavior. Probably, if you gave it some gas the stopped wheel would start turning. If you had lockers and engaged them you'd see everything turning at the same speed.

DougM

bearing pre-load?

put it on the ground already

id throw it on the ground --- put it in drive......and see if the idle speed alone gets you rolling.(which it should on flat surface).

If you are ease off the brake-without hitting gas--and dont have forward mvmt......STOP...shut her down and backtrack.

Here we go then...

By popular demand then: she's going on the ground and we hope nothing goes "CA THUNK' !!!

Thanks again everyone...

Confession time... My Dr. Laura moment...

Since we're all friends here, right ? And since some have done boneheaded things that we've all learned from before, right ? I thought I should contribute to the 'I did it so you won't make the same dumb mistake' list.

So, here it is............. the suspense killin' you all ???

I also did a transmission drainflush/fill... Well, maybe not quite enough on the 'fill' portion of the transaction.:doh: Turns out I didn't have enough fluid to make the 'whirly things' whirl & the 'pumping things' pump.

Fluid is topped up and she skooooooots...

Once again, Thanks to the MUD community for the help and advice.

You guys rock !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom