LJ70 alternative engine? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi! I just got a LJ70 with 2LT engine. I bought it because I like the suspensions of LJ series compared to BJ of FJ. I want to replace the engine with more powerful engine but not the fuel hungry engine type.. I'm thinking of 1KZ-T/TE. Would the this be a good option or is there any other engines to consider. I don't do off-road/trails much, I will used more on on-road/pavement. Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks!

The 1KZ T should be the easiest swap and the easiest to get parts for in europe but it is not a straight bolt in.

I know what Wayne's going to say already...

~john

screw the diesel

go gas - the money you save on the engine conversion will offset any difference in fuel economy for at leasst fifteen years or more

id like to put a carbed 350 into an lj

actually - you might be able to sell your (assume it is still) running 2lt and related misc. parts and get enough out of it to buy a decent 350 to put in

probably would do a turbod 22r first though... run it till it blows up and then put another one in

although a turbod buick 3.8l would be a nice fit too

I know what Wayne's going to say already...

~john

Can i guess

Go 1pz, 1hz or 1hd-t or turbo the two before that.
Save your money and don't buy one of those s*** engines with a 2L, 1KZ or 3L combination engines...

something like that....

I'd go supercharger on my previously mentioned 1UZ-FE alloy 4.0 litre V8 (or 4.3 litre 3UZ-FE).

Or, as you want diesel, the Duramax 4.5 litre diesel V8 sounds interesting, made to fit in the same space as a chevy small block...did they release/sell it?

Thanks for your suggestion. Don't you think the 1KZ-T/E a good option? I'm not sure if the 1PZ or 1HZ is easily available here in the Philippines. I know I can easily get a 1KZ-T here but it seems that this engine a have an issues. Is there any problem with 1KZ-T/E?

I'd go supercharger on my previously mentioned 1UZ-FE alloy 4.0 litre V8 (or 4.3 litre 3UZ-FE).

Or, as you want diesel, the Duramax 4.5 litre diesel V8 sounds interesting, made to fit in the same space as a chevy small block...did they release/sell it?
\\

I think this is engine is too much for my needs.:)

Her's a pic of the length of a hz into the bay of a LJ78 (2lte). A electric fan would probably work, but the height of the engine out of the bay might require some work (body lift/hood bump).

I used the front clip from a HD model, so clearences were not a issue.

Joel.
DSC05297.jpg
DSC05297.jpg

Thanks for your suggestion. Don't you think the 1KZ-T/E a good option? I'm not sure if the 1PZ or 1HZ is easily available here in the Philippines. I know I can easily get a 1KZ-T here but it seems that this engine a have an issues. Is there any problem with 1KZ-T/E?

I have a lj70 with a 1kz-te inside. lj70 used to be a 2l.

The easiest way to do it would be to get yourself a lc halfcut. You get the whole front end and a lot more. Mine came from a lj78. Straight bolt on conversion except for the engine mounts and propshaft. This is also the most expensive way.

The other ways are standalone engine and geabox from a lc. Or you could use the surf engine.

1kz-te is a very nice engine and you would certainly not be dissapointed.

If you buy auto, make sure you put a transmission cooler on.

I would not bother with a 2.8 diesel or the 3litre version.

13Bt or 14bt will also fit in, again nice engines but a little heavy for a lj70.

go gas and like Rusty says save time and money to put into the tank.
the HZ/PZ won't fit into the small engine bay.
i LOVE the suspension of the LJ series and agree with your decision although swapping the suspension from the LJ into a PZ or HZ 70 might be easier.
you will love the swap if you go down this route and there are at least 2 threads with this completed.

(might have been cheaper and easier to just have bought a HZ/HDT80 series)

Can i guess

Go 1pz, 1hz or 1hd-t or turbo the two before that.
Save your money and don't buy one of those s*** engines with a 2L, 1KZ or 3L combination engines...

something like that....

Have you ever seen a 1KZ T or driven one?

The 1KZ and its variants have been in production for about 18 years now and it has become a popular and reliable engine all over the world for some good reasons.

The 1KZ issues usually appear after the radiator and coolant system have become degraded.
Look after the coolant system ,especially look for leaks around the plastic tanks on the radiator,and the engine will be fine .
The 1KZ TE is the same engine with some upgrades and electronics on the fuel pump and the electronics by theri nature are prone to failure and cannot be repaired,except by Toyota
Unless you really want a few more HP ,the 1KZ T is the safer bet.

The 6 cyl diesels are going to require a lot more work to instal.

interesting after what was posted by an African in the one thread...
dead at 200K on average in that country.
dead here
dead in NZ
dead in Oz

<not as bad as the 2LTE but not as good as the real engines...>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom