87 22re engine replacing 85 22re in 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lowcountrylandcruisers.com
I got a 87 22re out of a 3/4 ton camper that had been transformed into a wrecker to replace my 85 22re that I locked up. I got the computer and most of the sensors and wiring out of the 87. It had a 5 speed and my 85 has an automatic. I was wondering if I could use most of the sensors and all from the 87 and if it would plug right up. Also does anybody know if I should use the computer from the 5 speed 87 or the 85. Does the transmission make any difference with the computer? I'm not much of a mechanic, my brother will be doing most of the work. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.:)

use the 87 engine, but stick to your injectors and sensors, then you do not have to worry about, the other computer or wiring.
i do not know if the computers are different or not between a 5 speed and automatic, but you can compare the numbers on the computer box, and that will let you know if they are different.

Auto and manual computers are different. I remember reading somwhere that sticking an auto computer into a 5 speed equipped truck is actually a performance upgrade. IIRC, it was on the Pirate board.

Auto and manual computers are different. I remember reading somwhere that sticking an auto computer into a 5 speed equipped truck is actually a performance upgrade. IIRC, it was on the Pirate board.

Ummm, I think I need to find me a slush-box ECU and try that.

Hmmm....I drove my friends 87 with a 5-speed swapped into it but it was originally an auto...and still had the auto tranny computer im sure

Oh,by the way strip the new 87 motor down to basically a longblock and use ALL your original wiring,emmisions crap,sensors etc.......youll thank yourself later

You might wanna do a HG and timing set on the new motor too.....i just put a "new" "93" motor in a friends 89 to replace his knocking engine,only to have the new engine have a blown HG.....but a $40 head set and a few hours later and its runnin good now!

Finally got the engine in today! Thanks for all the help guys! We used wads of wet paper and a 8mm socket to get the pilot bearing out. What a neat trick that I found on youtube... We did have to switch out the fuel injectors and used the 85 EFI stuff and wiring harness. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Thanks for everything. I'm heading up to GSMTR in Sparta, TN in a little bit and we'll see how it holds up:)

I've used the wet paper trick as well w/ great results. Another method I've seen is to pump grease into the hole to push it out. I prefer the paper method 'cuz clean up is easier.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom