Stihl MS180 Oiling Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an MS-180 that is pumping out very little, if any oil.

I read thru a couple of your posts on here, but I have not seen this covered on the MS-180.

I am trying to check in between the reservoir and the oil pump itself. I have up to the clutch assembly out, but not sure how to proceed to get the fly wheel out.

Last edited:
Yes, I took the oil filter out about a month ago now, so now trying to get to the oil pump to check it.

The "oil pump drive wire" also looks to be ok.

Thanks for the link D'Animal. Now I understand what the gear is and where the oil pump is.

Now to get the handle off...is there a trick to get it off? Is there a screw under those rubber bushings?

I moved the handle so I could get to the area. I pulled off the elbow and flushed the line from the tank. There was some sawdust residue in the bottom of the oil pump, but I don't know how much would actually cause it not to work. Should I take out the oil pump and clean that? If that's the case, how do I get the oil pump out? ( I did a search and nothing came up.)

You can back flush the pump without removing it.

I have used Brake Clean in the discharge port while turing the pump backwards. This only works if the elbow is removed.

make sure the "O" ring on the elbow is not cut or nicked. It will draw air and not pump oil when assembled.

Thanks for your time on this D'Animal! :D

Was able to get to the elbow finally and when I pulled it off there was some wood debris in the pump area. Flushed the line, and back flushed the oil pump with the brake cleaner like you said, and more wood came out, did this till the fluid came out clear.

The hardest part was remembering on how everything went back together, :hmm: but did get it back together.

Filled with fresh oil and ran the saw. After about a minute went by and I could see oil coming out of the slot where it should. :) Put the bar back on and cut some wood, and the oil tank had gone down some. Finished up the tank of gas and the oil tank had about 20% oil left! Looks like that was the problem.

Thanks again for your time!

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom