Body Lift - UHMW Buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at purchasing some UHMW rod to bump the body lift on my truck from 1" to 2" (the 1" will go on the :princess: truck).

I plan on sourcing the rod myself as it's far cheaper, not that I regret purchasing the 1" body lift from Roger Brown as it was only around $100.

Anyway, I'll end up with some extra rod, and figured I'd ask if anyone was interested in doing a body lift for their own truck.

For the 80 series, there are a total of 10 body mounts (5 per side). 1" is extremely easy to do, once you get to 2" then some complications can arise. So if you only want to go up 1", then you're looking at a total of 10" of rod (plus waste), which should be right around $12 (not including shipping).

At least on the 80's series, with a 1" body lift you don't even need new bolts, which makes it extremely cheap. I've personally very much liked having the body lift, not only does it make everything run cooler, but makes everything much easier to wrench on. For example, on the 80's starter it's a pain to get to the rear bolt as you have to sneak it up with about a foot and a half of extension and wobblies. With the body lift I was able to access both front and rear bolts from the wheel well.

Anyway, I'm moving up to 2" as I'm planning on moving my t-case mount up to give me additional ground clearance.

So...as long as I'm ordering some...anyone interested?

how are you planning on working the material?
also are you using the large stock like roger?
too bad you are about two weeks late with this.
i may get some for my brothers truck though

Not much working that needs to be done. Cut to length, drill a hole to fit. Should be cake.

I'll be ordering 2.5" rod as that seems to fit the 80 series well. I did find one site that I can order white or black rod from, I'm planning on the black.

I think we should have a body lift day/weekend. I seem to remember tyler was thinking about doing one as well. I have some UHMW already.

Did you find a supplier that sells it in black yet?

I have one, foot long rod 2" in white that I dont think I'll be using. I also have 20+ 3/4 inch black in color UHMW pucks cut and drilled, I might double those up and give myself an inch and a half lift.

What's it take to go over 1" on and 80, other than just longer bolts?

I'd be in for 1" BL

I think we should have a body lift day/weekend. I seem to remember tyler was thinking about doing one as well. I have some UHMW already.

Good idea. Now that we've done one (mine), it should actually go pretty darn quick.

Did you find a supplier that sells it in black yet?

I did find one site that I can order white or black rod from, I'm planning on the black.

Finding it in black was darn near impossible, for some reason.

I have one, foot long rod 2" in white that I dont think I'll be using. I also have 20+ 3/4 inch black in color UHMW pucks cut and drilled, I might double those up and give myself an inch and a half lift.

I personally would prefer a single solid puck rather than doubling them up. I considered doing that on my truck (just adding another inch), but considering I can do 2" pucks for less than $30 it's just not worth it...especially since I can then swap the 1" lift onto the :princess: truck. :idea:

What's it take to go over 1" on and 80, other than just longer bolts?

At 1" there's not much you need to do. Drop the radiator, but that's it really. Some people have gone as high as 1.5" without doing anything more.

Once you get into the 2" range, then you can have problems with the air canister being too low for the engine, wires/hoses being stretched too tight, the steering wheel shaft interfering with the firewall, etc.

1" is simple and a no brainer IMHO. 2" begins to be more complex, the reason I want to do it is so I can lift my T-Case up about 2" and replace the OEM cross-member with a solid 1/2" bar. That should allow me to put on a new skid plate that is darn near (if not actually) flush with the frame rails, netting me a couple of inches of clearance.

The t-case is the low hanging fruit on the 80's. It's smack dab in the middle, which means that it's the most likely to get hit if you're straddling a rock. And since it's made of aluminum, a hard hit to it could crack it.

IPOR likes to brag that their skid plate is the "only" plate that allows people to take certain lines (due to the other skid plates hanging too low, causing the vehicle to get high centered). I intend to beat that claim. :lol:

well im in. probably just gonna go one inch do to the reuse of stock bolts that way i can make it a free mod. i think i'll have enough suspension lift soon anyways.

So we have Retrofive, and maybe Gnob.

I'm going to be putting in the order tomorrow, so speak now or buy it yourself. :flipoff2:

If it matters, Im just going to do 1"

Thanks Ebag

E,

I think you will like the 2" from what i remember when I did mine the only real "issues" where the xfer lever, and letting the slack out on the steering shaft. The shaft just makes me cringe... The Xfer case lever can be lengthened or turned into a short throw as I did.

Let me know when you get ur pucks, I'm down in Medford once a month on business.

-Matt

Ammo,

How'd you deal with the radiator? Did you drop it, or cut the shroud?

So are we going to do a BL party ;)

Ammo,

How'd you deal with the radiator? Did you drop it, or cut the shroud?

E,

I opted to go the way of dual electric fans... I found a set of duals for an import that fits just about the whole back of the rad...

Flex-a-lite Electric Engine Cooling Fans

I can snap a pic in the am as I'm back home grabbing the rig from the "bunker"... I head out Sunday for Oregon.

-Matt

E,

I opted to go the way of dual electric fans... I found a set of duals for an import that fits just about the whole back of the rad...

Flex-a-lite Electric Engine Cooling Fans

I can snap a pic in the am as I'm back home grabbing the rig from the "bunker"... I head out Sunday for Oregon.

-Matt

i'd be very interested in seeing a picture of that.

are they activated on a coolent temp switch?

Guys,

I didnt have much time today to find the model number but I'm sure I can. I've got a list going that has to get done before I head out sunday on the cross country drive. But for now here is what I'm running and have been running for about the last 4yrs or so.

-Matt
IMG_0971.jpg
IMG_0970.jpg
IMG_0975.jpg

I wanta say I have one of these...

Sport Compact Car Fans

Looks like they may have rebadged them to attract the import crowd.

-Matt

Not bad. I think I'll stick with the mechanical fan though. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom