Why do you need a winch... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You really don't need a winch.

That is, until you really need a winch... :)

To get you into trouble or out of it. Take your pick. If you ever get stuck it will pay for itself.

Winch is for when reverse = FAIL.

why do you ask ?

Put winch in rear of truck, way easy reverse.

The question should be-'Why do you need a winch if you're willing to USE reverse?' Many of us aren't.

Because we use our vehicles as designed. They are not street queens. Sometimes by the time you use reverse you get the same result as the foward gears = a stuck vehicle. Seriously, if you have to ask, you don't need a winch because you won't be going where we want to go. I do hope that you are joking.

Why do you need a winch?

This is why you need a Winch. And a snatch block. And a hi-Lift. And lots of cribbing. And....

attachment.php

Sorry guys...just looking for some good reading :)

I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed a winch to recover myself, but definitely handy then! Thinking I'd use one more on my cruiser vs. my old jeeps...too pretty to bounce off rock walls. Lockers come first though.

Found a thread where someone mounted a winch to the frame of an 80 with the stock front bumper, anyone know if this is possible on a 100? Or better yet, have a writeup?

An old timer once told me... with a winch you still get stuck, just farther off road (than without a winch).

Why do you need a winch

Because pulling a come a long out every time you get stuck and breaking the handles off is getting old.

Why do need to ask...

...if you've ever been wheeling? :eek:
winched.jpg

All you need a is a little imagination...

One thing that seems to have been left out of this discussion on why you need a winch. Sure, I've used mine to extricate myself from a stuck situation, mostly times where powering through or over something would have worked, but doing it slowly with a little finesse caused less damage to my truck and the environment. I have also used it to assist other vehicls in the same situations. But, by far the most use my winch has seen is being used as a tool to move stuff around the yard, lifting loads, pulling stumps and clearing brush, moving whale carcasses around while cutting them up during necropsies. It's a geat back saving tool and with a little imagination it's uses are limitless. It can also kill you if not treated with respect...much like a wench.

Honestly, more often than not, I have used my winch to extricate a less capable vehicle than my FJ40. Most importantly, though, there have been times when I have gone out without a 2nd rig and have gotten myself stuck.

Or just driving a county road in south Alabama.

Sort of looks like you missed the road, there...

Like the bat sticker.

Sorry guys...just looking for some good reading :)

I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed a winch to recover myself, but definitely handy then! Thinking I'd use one more on my cruiser vs. my old jeeps...too pretty to bounce off rock walls. Lockers come first though.

Found a thread where someone mounted a winch to the frame of an 80 with the stock front bumper, anyone know if this is possible on a 100? Or better yet, have a writeup?

If that was what you're looking for.....why not post a thread in the 100 forum or do a search there? But, then, you wouldn't get all these stories and heartfealt opinions, huh? - I figured as much.......:censor:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom