Third member gasket (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just took out my third member to install lower gears andvan Aussie locker, but no one in town can get the gasket for in between the third and the axle housing, would it be ok to use rtv sealant or does it need the gasket for the thickness?

Since this is not a trailside repair, I would slow down and wait til your local Toyota dealer can get one in. They are still readily available in most depots.

I would not install a 3rd without one unless it was a trailside fix.

Best

Mark A.

where ya at skags? lots of folks have parts.someone in your area may have this piece. :steer:

:popcorn:

Don't Toyota axles come from the factory now with no gasket other than FIPG?

FWIW: Buy 2 gaskets because they're flimsy paper and if you don't install 3rds all the time and are working by yourself, you'll probably tear one. And install it with some RTV or FIPG.

magic goo

Since this is not a trailside repair, I would slow down and wait til your local Toyota dealer can get one in. They are still readily available in most depots.

I would not install a 3rd without one unless it was a trailside fix.

Best

Mark A.

Mark, I agree that a gasket should go between the diff carrier and the axle housing and I've always used one there. But how about between the inspection cover and the axle housing? I'm about to install a rear axle inspection cover after installing an Aussie Locker. I was going to use RTV silicone and skip the gasket to see if it will seal, but I'd rather leverage your experience. Suggestions/thoughts? And what is FITG (or whatever that acronym is ...)?

Thanks!

Oh, sorry for the hijack. I thought the original question also addressed the inspection cover, not just the diff ...

Last edited:
Hi AQll:

From my (limited) experience RTV works fine between either the third member "chunk" and the axle housing or the axle housing and theinspection cover on asemi-floating Land Cruiser rearend.

Regards,

Alan

RTV is all I have ever used. Worked fine.

I remembered the Toyota gasket is a high quality gasket, not just paper thin gasket. I on the trail, I would use RTV but at home I would wait and get the gasket.

Btw, there's also a cork gasket between the rear axle and the differential cover, you may want to order that too.

X2 on Right Stuff!

:beer: R

And what is FITG (or whatever that acronym is ...)?

FIPG = Form In Place Gasket. It's the Toyota equal to RTV. If you use a paper gasket soak in water first. It will help keep from tearing the gasket. Personally, I use RTV/FIPG.

For the inspection cover I do use the cork gasket, coated on each side with RTV/FIPG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom