firewall pass-through wiring harness connector (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to be helping a friend with his wiring harness install this summer and I had this thought:

Wouldn't it be great if someone makes a wiring connector which can be bolted over a hole in the firewall, which the harness inside the body would plug into from the inside, and the harness in the engine bay would plug into from the outside.

The only real function I can see for it would be to make it easier if you ever had to remove the body from the frame. I have checked out Weather Pack Connectors (it's the only brand I know of) and they do not make such a thing. Anyone know of such a connector?

You mean like this:

8903t46p1l.gif

McMaster-Carr carries them. They are also commonly used on airplanes. You can order them from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty as well, or you could maybe get some from an aircraft salvage yard.

You solder the wires to each connector, and one connector goes through the bulkhead (firewall) and it attached to it.

They are very nice. I have also seen them on heavy trucks (notably International trucks--often used as school busses).

Dan

Amphenol makes a broad variety - very common in military applications. Search for "bulkhead connector". Seems overkill for a cruiser, tho.

I've seen that on late 80's Dodge Trucks, seemed to be another plug to get corrosion in it. Except instead of effecting one system, it potentally corroded every wire going into the engine bay.

The military and aviation grade stuff is best, but kind of over kill.

The type you want is a rack mount receptacle or a bulkhead.

I sell military cable assemblies. If you come up with a part number, PM me and I will see if I have it or can get it. Very often the price for one connector is around $100 and can get them for between $20 and $30 depending on the connector.

Attachments

• D39888 spec sheet.pdf
    207.6 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:
American Autowire sells connectors for this purpose. They sell ones with different contact amounts for various needs (10, 12, 20, etc). I plan on using them with I do my rewire this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom