Transmission 'slip' in first...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy.

My wife say's that she's noticed our '93 acting up since we got it, but even I cannot help but notice it now.

When the rig is cold, and starting off from a stop in Drive, it seems to take forever to get going. If on the other hand, you start out in 1st or 2nd, then it takes right off. Also, when the tranny gets warmer, these symptoms seem to go away.

I've adjusted the cable to the transmission with no effect.

It had the ATF replaced when we purchased it in April of '06.

I've got a new filter in hand, along with a can of BG Tranny Cleaner and 16 Quarts of Synthetic ATF.

Any other suggestions or comments?

Thx,
Robert

Hmmm...

How many miles on the rig?

Maybe the clutch packs are getting too worn, not sure.

Have you noticed any tranny leaks?

Robert,

I guess I'm on a rant this evening, but since "it seems to take forever to get going" is the complete and total sum of information you are giving us as to the tranny's malfunction, I'll give a reply that is equally vague, yet perfectly matched to your input.

Here it is. Wait................wait for it...................... my finger's on my temple and something's materializing. Ah! - I think something's not right with your vehicle and I have no idea how many miles or anything else whatsoever except that it's a 93. Whew! Man, I'm going to need some rest after that one.....

DougM

Jeesk, sorry guys; I guess that I'd assumed that this issue had been hashed over before, and the symptoms recongnizeable...

The only other imput that I can add is that it's got 176Kmi on the rig, that there are no leaks of any kind, and that all the other shift points seem to work correctly and crisply. It just is slipping in first gear...

I guess that I'm up to the mercy of whatever shop I go to now; I really don't like going in blind though...

I'll never ever be vague again... unless I cannot help it. :confused:

Robert

It's probably not in first gear, that sounds like it is trying to lift-off on second or possibly even third. That would be a shift solenoid most likely.

I've search and this seems like the closest too my problem.

1993 w/ 180k

Recently replaced the motor and did a drain/fill of the trans mission fluid.

Never had this issue before the motor swap & maint.

Issue:
Feels like I'm starting in 2nd gear. When move the shifter to "L", it instantly fixes.

When it happens:
Maybe cold, or may be after it's been in P or N for some time.

Thoughts:
- my "N" light on the dash won't illuminate but I'm unsure if I had that issue before

It's probably not in first gear, that sounds like it is trying to lift-off on second or possibly even third. That would be a shift solenoid most likely.

I agree w/ CDan. (who wouldn't :hillbilly:)
This has been discussed before and a shift solenoid has fixed it. Althought, if I remember correctly, they are kind spendy ($150-$200?)

I agree w/ CDan. (who wouldn't :hillbilly:)
This has been discussed before and a shift solenoid has fixed it. Althought, if I remember correctly, they are kind spendy ($150-$200?)

So why does shifting into "L" fix it?

I've search and this seems like the closest too my problem.

1993 w/ 180k

Recently replaced the motor and did a drain/fill of the trans mission fluid.

Never had this issue before the motor swap & maint.

Issue:
Feels like I'm starting in 2nd gear. When move the shifter to "L", it instantly fixes.

When it happens:
Maybe cold, or may be after it's been in P or N for some time.

Thoughts:
- my "N" light on the dash won't illuminate but I'm unsure if I had that issue before

Did this thread come up during your search?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/351009-1993-fzj80-transmission-slips-forward-gears.html

Check it and see if your transmission has symptoms similar to mine.

I also think it sounds like maybe a shift solenoid. My 1993 does it on occasion:
Quickly run the selector from Park to Drive, and it barely moves along like it's not fully in gear--which it isn't. If I go back to Park, or into another gear, and then more deliberately (gently, slowly) move it into Drive, it engages just fine. It has never happened to my wife, and I attribute it to some subtle way in which I move the trans selector. I first encountered this a few years ago, and have opted to live with it. I seem to have trained myself out of whatever I was doing previously, because it RARELY happens anymore.

Wouldn,t the solenoids show up bad on the ECT analyzer. Also check the tps. MIke

Very similar, but different. Mine snaps right into gear when I engage L.

I did read a mention of the shifter getting between N & D. I did have a bear of a time with the circular connector that goes to the transmission.

When you have checked everything else out, you may find that the solenoids are the real issue - even though your situation differs slightly; so don't discount it entirely. :cheers:

My '94 is doing the same thing, I think my shift selenoid has retired. I had a 1st gen 4runner that did the same thing, relatively inexpensive fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom