Mackenzie Expedition 2010 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since most are back or soon to be back from their latest forays, I have posted a start to the Mackenzie trip that has been talked about, without much detail provided to date

Time slot: July 24th to August 8th, 2010 – for the diehards.
Trailhead: Somewhere north of confluence of Blackwater and Fraser River (NW of Quesnel)
Trail Length: Estimated 220 km. drivable (total trail is 420 km.)
Trail End: Tweedsmuir Park boundary, west of Gotcho Lake, 70 km. N Anaheim Lake (Hwy 20)
First Week: The Mackenzie trail should take about 1 week- possibly less.
Second Week: The second week will be devoted for further exploration (based on local info we pick up), or possibly into Bella Coola Valley, Perkins Peak, Upper Tasko or other trails suggested by Ryan Gustafson we met in 2009 (Grizzly Alpine Ranch, Tatla Lake).

This trip is the Second Annual Chilcotin Expedition into this vast and incredibly interesting area. Thanks to its remoteness, the Chilcotin is one of few unspoiled areas left in BC that fortunately few people know about and even fewer have explored. The trip of 2009 was one the best back roads trips I have ever done and I think most people that came on that trip were similarly impressed. I do not think the scenery on this trip will be up to what we saw in 2009, (unless we go into Coast Mountains on the return leg), but I am sure it will be full of great adventure, new places and frontier characters.

Some History

The Alexander Mackenzie Heritage Trail (or the Blackwater Trail) is 420 km. in length from the Fraser River east of Quesnel to Bella Coola. The trail has been used for centuries by First Nations, who transported Eulachon grease from the Pacific Ocean to the Interior. Sir Alexander Mackenzie made use of this historical trail in the late 1790’s, when he encounter obstacles on the Fraser River and decided to go overland on his quest to find the Pacific Ocean. Mackenzie was the first European to cross the northern part of North America, 12 years before Lewis and Clarke reached the mouth of the Columbia River in 1805.

The ‘Route’ – not that clear
(makes it interesting)

From the eastern trailhead at the West River Road (Blackwater River), the Mackenzie trail passes by numerous lakes: Punchan Lake, Lower Blackwater Ecological Reserve, Kluskoil Lake ( Provincial Lake) Euchiniko Lake, Kluskus Lake, Tasacha Lake, Blue Lake, Tsetzi Lake, Cluchata Lake, Tsibekuz lake, Tsetzi Lake, Cluchata Lake, Tsibekuz Lake, Eliguk and finally Gotcho Lake. With all those lakes, the fishing must be great.This represents the end of the trail that can be used by motorized vehicle. The trail continues through Tweedsmuir Park which is very scenic, but only can be hiked.

The eastern part of the trail follows sections of forest roads and as the trail heads west it turns into horse trails and wagon roads. I expect the ‘trail’ to be poorly marked and will test out navigation skills, if we wish to follow the original trail as best as we can make out. The original trail is intersected by other trails, which will present some challenges. Many of the most scenic portions of the trails are in Tweedsmuir Park, such as the Rainbow Mountains.

Challenges

The trials are not technically difficulty, with the exceptions of some off chamber bits and trail narrowing caused by ATV use. If it has been raining, expect mud and boggy sections which should provide some entertainment for those with all-terrains. I would recommend 33 MTs and a rear locker and winch, but stock trucks should be fine, given the capabilities of other trucks coming along.

Similar to the Chilcotin trip in 2009, the logistical issues again will be food and fuel. I would guess a 600 km range should be good as it was last year. Using the ARB fridges as freezers will help with the food problem, but not with perishables. Fresh vegetables were a big treat toward the end of our last trip. We should be prepared for windfall on the trails, possibly lots of mud through low-lying areas, bugs, another rejection from the Overland Journal (LOL) and of course good times.

Nice introduction Glenn.
Lets keep this thread light (chit chat can be had on other threads please).
This is one of the finer places in BC for fly fishing. Depending on how the trail goes perhaps we might do a one day break in the middle for those interested in the fishing and hiking by staying put for one day at a nice lake. Due to the remoteness of this trail regrettably the actual route would not allow for people to join 1/2 way through or leave early for the actual Alexander MacKenzie trail (1st week of the trip). after we finish the trail and start exploring other areas the ability for other to join or leave earlier is more feasable.
more info on the trails:
Hiking the Alexander MacKenzie Heritage Trail, British Columbia - Canada Trails
Alexander Mackenzie Heritage Trail / Alexander Mackenzie Voyageur Route, Williams Lake
BC Parks - Sir Alexander Mackenzie Provincial Park, Chilcotin, British Columbia
Alexander Mackenzie Heritage Trail, BC
and of course the thread on BC4X4:
BC4x4.COM four wheel drive, 4x4, offroad and fourwheeling site.

Fire ban likely

Well it looks like a dry summer ahead and likely a fire ban like 2009. Snow packs below normal.

B.C. braces for a dry summer

We plan to go.

We will be taking our FJ and trailer plus our pontoon boat. The Blackwater River apparently has fantastic fishing opportunities. Maybe if others want to be do some serious fishing we can spend a day or two along the way studying the fine art of losing flies and lying.

River Walker
aka Grant

Attachments

• FJ & Pontoon Boat a.pdf
    408.8 KB · Views: 421
Hi RiverWalker,
I couldn't open your attachment :frown:

Sorry about that, I would have a screaming match with my systems administrator but I hate yelling at myself.
DSCF1636.jpg

Attachments

• FJ & Pontoon Boat a.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 163
Fish fry here we come .:clap::clap::beer:

No kidding!! Plus that FJ looks as abused as Drew's... nice to see

Grant needs to hang about a 125 Merc on that thing!

I disagree. What I need it to convince my wife that she should row and let me fish in peace and quiet.
How many people plan to go along the trail? Has anyone gone along the old trails? I know there are two fish camps there and they don't like nonpaying guests. I would like to find out more on that area before we go there.
Not that long ago Wendy and I used to go up to the Dean River to fish. We used to see Indians on horse back and horse drawn wagons. They would be coming into Anaheim Lake to buy supplies. I think we will be on some of their trails. We also watched their kids kill every fish they caught. We had hundred fish days (all catch and release); I can just imagine how many fish they killed.
Cheers
Grant

Suggestion

Although, the primary purpose of the trip is to follow the historic Mackenzie trail - if the fisherman out there can agree on a couple of lakes that are worthy of a two-night lay-over, the non-fisherman types can plan day-trips from those base camps.

I suggest this idea - to try to please a group that contains slightly divergent objectives -- the 'base camp' types and 'keep'er going' types.

I agree, let's start a new thread on possible fishing spots/2 day camps for that area along the original trail and decided from there. I figured we'd likely stop at least in one place for a couple days to enjoy the view and relax a bit so let's decide where that might be now. Most of the trip will be based upon every day we pack up and head out, but let's enjoy the area as well and find a couple spots to stay at least for one day where we can keep the fisherman and everyone else entertained by either doing a day run or a hike, etc. This isn't a race to the finish, we're there to enjoy the local scenery, habitat, get to know new people and have a good, fun, interesting trip. That said, with the trail in the condition that it is there is a large chance to do serious damage to your truck in the process of getting to those nice, relaxing and enjoyable places - so don't blame us if you screw up your shiny truck :D

Do you happen to have a map showing your proposed route?

Rising Sun Cruiser Participation

To those that this may concern:

When Drew and I were at Cruise Moab, Drew spoke to Robbie A (Powderpig), a Rising Sun and Trail Team Member, who expressed interest in possibly attending the Mackenzie trip. I think it is a great idea to have him come along; he is a very experienced guy (he lived in
Alaska) and would add a lot to the trip, as well increase our club's exposure.

The Rising Sun Cruisers host Cruise Moab every year and are a well organized club (based in Denver, CO). Drew and I would like to invite him along. Along that line of thought, we should update our list of participants for the trip.

Sign-up List

Glenn B
Mat R

Sopel ?
Robert?
Grant T
Gary T ?
Bill W ?
Garry B ?

Ratpuke ?

Please indicate some probability of your participation, so Matt and I can start pulling some plans together. I think last year we started with 10-11 trucks and finished with the 3 diehards after two weeks.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/

Trail Scouting Information

I called Wayne Makie (he lives in Quesnel), who is the ATV'er we met at Upper Taseko Lake last August, 2009. Wayne has done the Mackenzie trail several times. Unfortunately Wayne does not have Internet, so I mailed him 5 photocopied map sheets, which he has agreed to look at and provide trail notes to help with our upcoming trip.

He said that if its dry there is not much mud, but fuel supply is a problem.

Glenn

I will be contacting the park to ask for permission to travel through it or at least a part of it - I know, it's a long shot but if you don't ask you won't know. I will also contact Ryan, our link to the Chilko and Taseko area as well as a great guide of the local sights to see if he can aid us.
Thanks Glenn.

Looks like I'm good to go... My new hire is working out better then expected. Now I just have to resist firing one of my other guys until after the trip. Just picked up another 2 Septer Gas cans so I will have an extra 100L of fuel with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom