Adventure Trailer Composite Drawers have arrived. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted a thread a while back regarding Adventure Trailer's new product release of a composite drawer system. Since that post, I spoke with the guys at AT numerous times and decided to place an order. I opted for two different sized drawers. A 36A (8.75"high by 33.5" deep) placed next to a 36B (12" high x 33.5" deep).

My reasoning for the multilevel drawers came from me wanting a storage drawer under my ARB fridge, while still trying to keep my fridge relatively low for easy access. The :princess: barely pushes 5'. I think with the fridge slide mounted, the drawers will be close to the same overall height. The fridge will be mounted on the passenger side to help offset the vehicle's platform while I'm in it alone.

Included in my order was a Versitrack Lashing system. This consists of two, 36" long aluminum tracks, four anchor points and the mounting hardware.

The drawers arrived via Fed-Ex. As hard as they tried to demolish the contents of the box as evidenced by the box's being totally thrashed, the contents were damage free. A testament to Adventure Trailer's excellent packing job. It was one of those moments that your afraid to open the box and your debating on calling Fed-Ex back to pick them up. I don't know if I would have signed for them, but since I was at work she signed for them without even looking at the box's.

Be wary if the Fed-Ex guy offer's to put your packages in your garage for you. :rolleyes:

Enough ranting about Fed-Ex, back to the drawer's. The drawer's arrive in kit form. They come with detailed instructions, high quality hardware and even the required allen wrenches.

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

Immediately I noticed how heavy the slides were. For some reason, I didn't think they would be that heavy. They are stout for sure. The rest of the hardware is also top notch quality. The Line-X type liner is sprayed on evenly, but had a strong chemical odor when I opened up the shipping box. I'm happy to report that the odor has disappeared over the last couple of days.

The construction process went well on the first drawer and really well on the second drawer.

Here are some pics of them installed in my 80.

IMG_0183-1.jpg

IMG_0186-1.jpg

You can see that the drawers enjoy full motion of the slides. Everything in the drawer is presented right in front of you. There is no ducking and peeking to see what's in the end of the drawer.
IMG_0184-1.jpg

IMG_0191-1.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

Pictures continued.

Height difference

IMG_0187.jpg

Close up

IMG_0188.jpg

In idea of how high they come up with the tailgate closed.

IMG_0189.jpg

To say that I'm very pleased with these units would be putting it mildly. The only thing I can hope Adventure Trailer's adds/changes would be a replaceable top for the box's that would match the contours of the rear cargo are of specific vehicles.

A.T. has hit the nail on the head with a light weight, reasonably priced (Compared to other's on the market) expedition quality drawer system. I think they are the perfect compliment to Wagon Gear's tail gate storage unit and will keep the back of the 80 clutter free, organized and reduce the possibility of being struck by potential cargo area debris in the event of an accident or other unplanned happening.

Here's a link to A.T's site for reference;

Adventure Trailers; Composite Drawer Systems

How did you mount them to the floor? They do look real nice.

Thank you for the compliment. I got in on the group buy of the allen head bolts and washers from 619TOY. I removed the factory seat brackets and bolted them down that way.

I just got an e-mail from AT and they are already working on a contoured top for the 80 series.:cheers:

nice set up! looks beefy. (but i gotta ask, the tailgate storage...from where? heard a guy was makin them for 60 series, same guy? is it on mud?)

Thank you. Yes, it's the "Same guy" his name in Kevin and you can find him on Mud or at;

Home

Great mind think alike or fools never differ :grinpimp:

I just wished they added a lock in the fully open position like the fridge slide, will make downhill stops much easier.

My setup

IMG_6890.JPG

Too kewl. Nice set up. Mario was talking about adding a lock to the drawers. You might want to call him up and see what he was able to come up with.

Last edited:
Super sweet!

Did you mention the weight?
ken

Super sweet!

Did you mention the weight?
ken

Hey Ken

The 8.75 box/drawer comes in at 38 lbs. fully assembled and ready to install.

Spresso was over and picked it up before I installed them. He just posted up on ExPo that while installing and removing his African Outback drawers numerous times in the last week, he was quite certain that his frame outweighed both of my drawers.

Very cool!! BTW missed you @ DV

ken

Sorry to deviate a little from the subject, but it looks like you have some sort of storage in the tail gate. I love that !, I always wondered hoe to use all of that empty space inside the panels, and the tail gate got me wondering for a while.

I looks like you did a great job with that tail gate. Do you have more info on your set up ?

The tailgate is a great place to store stuff. Specially is you are fully loaded, as soon as you open the gate, you have full access to everything !

Thanks !

What is "composite"? Plywood? MDF? Plastic? or ???

Andries, unfortunately getting a locking slide of this quality and weight capacity wasn't possible. We are working on a method of keeping the slide in the fully out position. It's going to be an easy retro fit.

Ben, we use a composite made from layers of urethane and glass fiber, called "Fiberthane". It's extremely strong and light weight and is very resistant to water. We finish the composite in Linex.

24H, did you keep these and put them in the hundy? I'm trying to figure out how to bolt them into my truck when I get them next month.

24H, did you keep these and put them in the hundy? I'm trying to figure out how to bolt them into my truck when I get them next month.

Yeah Loud- I kept them, but I haven't installed them into the hundy yet. I made a template of the third row seat bolt pattern and transferred it to the drawer bottoms. I then used bolts that matched the factory holes (Pitch & thread) and bolted them down to the floor of the 80.

Since I haven't looked under the carpet in the hundy, I don't know what the bolt patterns look like. I may have to make a spacer that bolts to the drawers then bolt the spacer to the factory holes. The spacer idea doesn't bother me too much, because the drawers would sometimes barely (Like RCH) rub on Kevin's hinge for my tailgate storage unit. Of course that depended on how loaded the drawers were.

If the hundy has the same size holes, I think I ordered extra bolts and pressed washers for the install since they were so hard to source. If I have them your welcomed to them.

Interesting, I'm going to order a pair of 36As this week. I was thinking of using the slee diff drop skidplate spacers on the mounts to take up the room between the floor and drawers that the carpet makes.

Here's the floor as I was attempting to secondskin the interior...I gave up after the cargo area.
IMG_6839.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom