2003 Hitch and dirt bike hauler rack questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

I have a 2003 LC I'm wanting to install a hitch on and haul my WR250F up to the high country for some fun. Typically been trailering (friends truck) but I work from home and am finding myself able to go early in the morning when most of my friends have to be back at their desks by 8:30.

When I was doing a MTB race in Tucson a couple of weeks ago I saw a bunch of these on the back of jeeps UltimateMXHauler pass me on the way up the canyon. I'm assuming these would work on a LC, but I've never seen one and don't know if there is anything needed to be done to a bone stock 2003. Reading reviews I keep seeing "airbags added" but it seems like those are for smaller trucks and minivans.

I'm in Fort Collins and don't mind driving down to Denver or Golden (Slee) as I'm down on Washington Ave visiting bike shops every couple of weeks if anyone has a used hitch that would work. Will class III work or do I want a iV or V hitch? I never really planned on pulling anything, but my son has a PW50 and if he gets into it then we might be pulling a trailer but right now I don't have room to store a trailer.

TIA, Brett
ultimatemxhauler.jpg

Well, the pic you posted is a 4Runner, and it has a lighter towing capacity than the 100. Talk with Slee or the Rising Sun guys, one of them should be able to find you a hitch. If you find that it's sagging, you can very easily (and inexpensively) add airbags that go inside the rear springs and add support. You air them up when you've got a load and let the air out when you don't. Easy.

Boston Mangler ran an aluminum one on his 100 for awhile.

You can always toss the PW in the back. I've fit two trail 70s in the back of my 100 without an issue.

It will definitely give you some squat in the rear as it leverages the weight further out than a trailer hitch. Installing in the coil air bags would be a simple and relatively inexpensive solution.

For the money, a cheap 4x8 trailer would probably be a better investment as these hitch haulers are expensive and the trailer would have more uses.

Slee might have some factory hitches laying around from installs he's done. You might even just call and tell him you are looking for one and he might be able to find you one knowing who he is selling new rear bumpers to.

If you have a 2" reciever you should be in good shape. You can find these from the $100+ dollar range and you wouldn't have to worry about getting a title for a trailer of paying property tax. The con's are, keeping fuel and other bulky items in your LC.
I had one similar to this one. I used it about 3 times a month with a driving distance of 100 miles per round trip.
Scooter/Moped - Dirt Bike Hitch Carrier - MX-600X

The tax thing may be a good excuse in NC for a reason not to get a trailer, but not everywhere. Here it is $25 for a 10 year license for a utility trailer. I don't know what it is in CO. He said he did have a storage issue with a trailer though.

you simply need to talk to me.... :grinpimp:

I have a 2003 and carry a 450 KTM on the back with a tilt-a-ramp (not as good as the MX hauler - those are killer).

With the stock suspention the LC100 will drop about 2-3 inches in the rear, pretty significant and it will raise the front. Very noticable when you drive, but it IS drivable and "ok" - even on light gravel roads. I would stay away from doing it this way unless you really don't want to upgrade and are fine driving a truck that handles like a '52 Chevy loaded with 2 ton of rock (ok, not that bad, but it's a pretty crappy handling situation).

I then added bilstein HD shocks all around - a noticeable improvement. Handled the bike much better but still dropped it about 1-1.5 inches in the rear. I was much more comfortable with this on longer trips, but it still had a negative impact on the handling. Not terrible, but not ideal either.

I then added airbags - 'nuff said - they ROCK. Steady and strong, like nothing was even back there...

OH, and I'm getting a trailer soon, since my son is now riding... but I'm sure having airbags will help with that as well
KTM.jpg

you simply need to talk to me.... :grinpimp:

I have a 2003 and carry a 450 KTM on the back with a tilt-a-ramp (not as good as the MX hauler - those are killer).

With the stock suspention the LC100 will drop about 2-3 inches in the rear, pretty significant and it will raise the front. Very noticable when you drive, but it IS drivable and "ok" - even on light gravel roads. I would stay away from doing it this way unless you really don't want to upgrade and are fine driving a truck that handles like a '52 Chevy loaded with 2 ton of rock (ok, not that bad, but it's a pretty crappy handling situation).

I then added bilstein HD shocks all around - a noticeable improvement. Handled the bike much better but still dropped it about 1-1.5 inches in the rear. I was much more comfortable with this on longer trips, but it still had a negative impact on the handling. Not terrible, but not ideal either.

I then added airbags - 'nuff said - they ROCK. Steady and strong, like nothing was even back there...

OH, and I'm getting a trailer soon, since my son is now riding... but I'm sure having airbags will help with that as well

Thanks for the reply and pics. I've been scouring Craigslist and nada and I just stopped by Slee on my way home from Wheatridge/Golden. Nada there for take-off hitch's so it looks like I'll be buying one from Kurt Mfg!

A trailer would be ideal but I don't have a place to store one right now....and my neighbor who had one tucked almost out of sight just got busted by our HOA!

Brett

I was just about to say that SURELY someone has a factory hitch laying around... I can't wait to swap mine out for a proper metal bumper.

Wow - that would be awesome thanks so much. Are you driving out here? Thanks! Brett

So you'll probably want to kill me, I forgotteded to pack it this morning while rushing to get out the door!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom