SBC guys.....what are my exhaust options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
P1000856.jpg

P1000857.jpg

P1000859.jpg

P1000860.jpg

Im pretty tight...The motor is centered in the frame....and would like to keep it there.
Are there any manifolds that are tighter against the block than ramshorns...
Dont know if I can use a rear dump... will it conflict with clutch slave?

Sanderson make some really nice stuff, but it also cost real money....

:meh:

how about block huggers then 2.5 inch duals all the way back comming out right behind the rear wheels. if you go straight out the back you will get alot of exhaust fumes inside so do come out the side

Last edited:
cast manifolds are your best long-term/best benefit/lowest cost & hassle solution plus they are made to clear these things. not sure on the exact application but boneyard scrounging may reveal sources as well as provide ideas. lots of good ideas and pix from Chevy Exhaust Manifold at 1AAuto.com look for anything Chevy 70-mid 80's car or truck. Their pix are good references.

I have thrown many of these away from donor engines before I knew they were applicable. Much more common than ramshorns.

Not to pose a stupid question, but would it be cheaper and better in the long run to move the saginaw in the front and not mess with the exhaust?

Picture # 2 drops between the plugs. The dip stick comes up between the valve cover and the manifold. The header without plugs are only found on 3/4 and above pickups in Calif., 70 to 80 vintage. There are heatshields for the plugs also. The car, usually camaro have the air ports. Junk yard view is your friend.

Not to pose a stupid question, but would it be cheaper and better in the long run to move the saginaw in the front and not mess with the exhaust?

went with the mini truck PS because I think the Sag setup looks scab'ed and wanted more of an OEM look and some of the steering shaft linkage setups I've seen down right scare me

went with the mini truck PS because I think the Sag setup looks scab'ed and wanted more of an OEM look and some of the steering shaft linkage setups I've seen down right scare me

You've looked at the wrong stuff.
attachment.php

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/310112-ultimate-front-axle.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/tx-lone-star-land-cruisers/314188-jebbers-fj40.html

You would think you would have figured this out before now, move the engine over one hole in the wings......

Last edited:
you could always try one of these style ramhorns if you want to use a ramhorn ,i used this one to clear my stock steering box on one of my older rigs and give me the extra room needed ,the mounting flange is tucked tighter to the block . gonna need a custom y pipe or dual exhaust still tho
pics
IMG_1034 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1035 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1036 (Medium).JPG

The one that is curved to the rear is still the same distance at the area where he is so close to the steering box, I would be more concerned about the heat rather than getting a pipe hooked to it

Those are the prettiest pink knuckles!! Must be the wifes FJ...

The heat from my fenderwell header cooked the input seal on the Mini P/S I had previously run. Replaced with Saginaw and forgot about it. :wrench:
Steering 004.jpg
Steering 020.jpg

You would think you would have figured this out before now, move the engine over one hole in the wings......

Oh come on now...Ive done that twice so far....
even squared up the tranny to match....but Mr. Downey warning me about possible shaft and driveline tunnels being out of wack. Body not available to check for conflicts

One (of many) reasons the stock engine sits 1" to the drivers side (on USA left hand drive vehicles) is to get the drive shafts into better alignment between transfer-case and differentials (still not a straight shot). Another reason is obviously to keep the transfer-case off the right hand frame rail. My guess is that if you've moved the engine 1" towards the passengers side, you haven't set the body onto the frame yet. You should discover that the transfer-case is darn near into the gas tank, and definitely already digging into the floor sheet metal (i.e. rear of tranny tunnel is too tight to the transfer-case and won't allow it to move to the right very far.

Oh come on now...Ive done that twice so far....
even squared up the tranny to match....but Mr. Downey warning me about possible shaft and driveline tunnels being out of wack. Body not available to check for conflicts
Jim isn't!!!

Well....your options

cook the PS box,
change the steering setup,
move the motor

make your selection now....

I know of no manifold or header that will solve this.....the low exit ones will actually be closer to the box than the Rams

Burnedtoast,
Please elaborate how you mounted your radiator. Looks nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom