Heated Seats on Way, Question on Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All- Ordered heated seat kits today; thanks Glen for arranging group buy. They are still available for $65 shipped so I got two for the front. I plan on using the OEM switches that mot has offered to source but I am not sure of the stock location. Do they go vertical in the console or horizontal in the dash to either side of the rear heater switch? The switches are available either way and I am not sure what to order. The dash location would be preferable but I was planning to use existing wiring and I am not sure where it terminates. I would pull a few things out and look myself but my daughter has the truck at school. If anyone know were the exisiting wiring plugs are please post. Its a '96 LC. Thanks in advance, Thom.

There is no stock location and there is no stock wiring. The switch MOT has I think is for a car but the switch fits in the location. If you have an LC then in the console seems like the best choice. In the LX this isn't an option...unless you are crazy a little :flipoff2:

Have relay, switch, wiring ...will travel!

My 94 has stock wiring under the console for the OEM switches. I have my switches sitting in the console and they are plugged into the stock connectors. I never was able to figure out how to wire them up to the elements properly so the seats are still not operational. The switches light up though! :D If you guys figure it out how to wire them up properly, please let me know!

Stock Plugs

LX-

I've got the same thing in my '95. I put my switches in two of my coin holders. Right under the console are two factory pig-tails and the switches plug right in. Of course I have no idea where they go and they don't do anything other than glow. I wired my switches in to the heated seat kit.

FJ55

I didn't see the routing or the connectors in the EWD either. I did trace a couple of the wires from the connectors and they do in fact go to the seats.

FJ55, if you can recall how you wired the switches, would you mind telling me?

I double and triple checked the way I wired mine but I only succeeded in melting the control module. However, it is possible I messed up installing the heating element and there is a short somewhere.

Last edited:
I used a pair of switches out of an older Lexus sedan (92-96 ES300?) They are the same colour as my interior and fit perfectly in the lower to coin holder slots. I have a fuse block mounted to the side of the rear heater unit (as seen on the Slee website) that I pulled the power from and I made my own harness with some Toyota relays and connectors. The relays are triggered by one of the connectors under the centre console so the seats can only come on when the key is ON, and the switch backlights are hooked up so they come on and shut off with the rest of the lights. I didn't see a mtaching pair of plugs that would have worked for the switches as part of the OEM wiring though :confused:

HTH!

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

Last edited:
Switches

SuperCarrera-I got a wiring diagram from MOT. I used the factory switch wired to the aftermarket pigtail from the aftermarket switch. So now the factory switch plugs into the kit. I'll see if I can't find that and send it to you. When I got the kit I ran the positive to the battery to make sure they worked. After that I started to look for a wiring location so that they would shut off automatically when the truck was off. I ended up wiring them to the AC fuse in the fuse box. It was a pain to do, not a lot of space or existing wire to work with. But it works as advertised.

If I did (or do) it over again I would look to wire the positive from the kit into the harness since I (and you) have the factory pigtails for switches.

96R50-I like your switches, same color interior as mine...very clean look.

These harness recepticals seem to be a hit-or-miss item.

These harness recepticals seem to be a hit-or-miss item.

These are the two that are in my 96 Landcruiser. The connector on the back of my Lexus switches was the same as the rear heater switch connector.

IMG_3276.JPG

IMG_3278.JPG

I used a pair of switches out of an older Lexus sedan (92-96 ES400?)
HTH!

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

I am stunned at how smooth these look! Did you stumble upon these or did I miss a thread somewhere? Order the switches or did you pull from a yard? Very Nice!

They came from ebay, and I saw a Mudder selling a pair in the classifieds last week. I just checked my email records and they were out of a 92-96 Lexus ES300 according to the ebay listing.

Update:

A recent PM prompted me to post the copy of the wiring diagram for the ES300 seat switches I used. Done!

As far as the unused plugs under the centre console, it looks to me like the short harnesses from the mot-sourced OEM 80 series switches would plug into the connectors under the console. Of course, you would also need to have the connectors under the seat to take advantage of that. It also looks like the switch end of the harness would plug into the ES300 switches. Just my observations!
PICT0006b.jpg
PICT0002b.jpg

Attachments

• seatheat.pdf
    26.8 KB · Views: 571
I can confirm that the pigtails on the MOT switches plug directly into the OEM connectors under the console. Even before running the pins from the connector under the seat to the elements, they are live, no other wires to be run! Everything is waiting in the below-seat plugs. My system has been up and running using a similar wire diagram to the aftermarket seat elements provided by AATLAS1X. Heat works well and looks 100% OEM.

I want heat for my 1997 leather front seats.

Would someone be kind enough to steer me in the right direction for the best seat heater kit? I definately want the OEM Toyota or Lexus two position switches.

I can confirm that the pigtails on the MOT switches plug directly into the OEM connectors under the console. Even before running the pins from the connector under the seat to the elements, they are live, no other wires to be run! Everything is waiting in the below-seat plugs.

Are you saying that these rigs are pre-wired for heated seats?

The wiring was all there on my '96.

The switch plugs in the console already have power, and lead to the vehicle-side of the plugs under the seats with all of the necessary signals. You do need to run pins on the seat-side of the plug (easy to push in), and then connect them to the aftermarket heating elements. The hard part is peeling off the leather to install...most who have done them comment on how much of a PITA they are...I opted to pay a shop to do the work, as I had new leather which I did not want to screw-up. At least I handled the wiring side of things in advance, saving that cost.

Mud member MOT has the switches, and AATLAS1X has the heating elements.

:cheers:

Steve

I know the wiring isn't there on the passenger side of my 96. I had the seat out when I removed my rear heater last summer and there were no unused plugs that I noticed. I haven't checked under the driver's seat yet.

Steve, do you know which fuse is protecting that circuit?

The actual wires from the switches terminate in the same plug which provides power to the powered seats. If you look at the plug under the seat, you will notice that there are more wires going in to the plug from the harness, than going out to the seat. Those extra wires are the ones which come from the switches and provide power to the heated seat elements.

I need to track down which wire is which by either looking under my seats, or finding my notes in the garage. I am not 100% sure which circuit they pull power from, but will check that too. Will try to do so shortly.

Steve

I know the wiring isn't there on the passenger side of my 96. I had the seat out when I removed my rear heater last summer and there were no unused plugs that I noticed. I haven't checked under the driver's seat yet.

Steve, do you know which fuse is protecting that circuit?

Good info. I was looking for a seperate plug. Keep us updated.

The actual wires from the switches terminate in the same plug which provides power to the powered seats. If you look at the plug under the seat, you will notice that there are more wires going in to the plug from the harness, than going out to the seat. Those extra wires are the ones which come from the switches and provide power to the heated seat elements.

I need to track down which wire is which by either looking under my seats, or finding my notes in the garage. I am not 100% sure which circuit they pull power from, but will check that too. Will try to do so shortly.

Steve

Wow, thats great! I didn't even think to check that out when I wired mine up. Did your heated seat elements have a little "control box" or anything in line on the harness, or did you run the wires directly to the elements? Your notes and a couple of pictures would be great!

Ok, here are the wires in the plug under the seat that feed the aftermarket elements. Of course it is best that you test to be sure that they are giving the right signals, as your truck may vary from mine.

White with black trace = Ground - you will need to tap into this one, as it is also used for the powered seats.

Blue with black trace = +12v when you have the OEM/JDM switch in the Lo position

Blue with orange trace = +12v when you have the OEM/JDM switch in the Hi position.

Essentially the two "blue" wires go to a relay (supplied with the heated seat kit) which controls how much voltage is fed into the seat cushion elements. Mine work flawlessly, and I checked the OEM setup voltage 10x over as compared to the supplied switches before cutting into/wiring anything; advise that you do the same as the penalty for screwing up is a burnt out element, or wiring harness. Be careful!

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom