Gauging Interest on Tire Carrier on Stock Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Disclaimer:

OK-I am not a metal fabricator. nor I am not in the business. And I am not particularly interested in doing this for a profit ( I would expect a some compensation for my involved time like set up packaging and shipping) I am still in the process of getting the parts I need to finish this project, so this is as good a time to see if you would be interested to be added to the list. You would have to be flexible as to the finished design/product based on what I intend to do. (read bellow.)

I am working with a local welder to make me a Tire Carrier that mounts on the OEM Bumper and would copy closely Zane and Johnny Lange aka wildyoats design...Wild Yoats Toyota

Really there is not much to it, but some cutting and welding, then painting of course. I am willing to work with my local welder to make more quantities if others here are interested.

Parts needed:
8 ft of 2x2 3/16" metal $tdb
Some 3/16" plate metal $tbd
Locking 2000 pound latch ($50 shipped) Mcmaster #5071A62 or similar
locking bumpstop pin ($20 shipped) Mcmaster #90222A69

Rocklogic IPOR Spindle ($50-60 shipped)
Some bolts and tire wheel nuts ($30)
1 3/4" hole saw bit

labor: About 8 hours $tbd

Total Cost Target is $500-$550 dollars.
The idea is to make it Bolt on...so all you need is to bolt it on, and not be afraid to drill a hole in your bumper..

How would this differ from the current Kaymar offering?

FWIW, I built the first ones of these way back in the day, so here are some links to some old pages.
Sleeoffroad.com - tire carrier
Sleeoffroad.com - swing out tire carrier

When we opened the shop we looking into doing it, and the problem is that for the cost you end up with the tire out of the way, but still with plastic corner pieces. Most people that want the tire out of the way wanted stronger bumpers as well. It did work pretty good though. I always found the difficult part was to determine exactly where to cut the hole in the rear bumper piece. Remember back in the days those corner pieces was expensive. My truck has about 30k on it when I did that.

Good luck, you might get some piece that want it. Make sure you get the support under the plastic pretty strong.

[hijack]
bluee.jpg

Man, that was a long time ago. Bought with 8k miles on the clock. Was never going to off-road it. This was the day before I sold it. Was also never going to sell it when I bought it. :D

swing8.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, I built the first ones of these way back in the day, so here are some links to some old pages.
Sleeoffroad.com - tire carrier
Sleeoffroad.com - swing out tire carrier

When we opened the shop we looking into doing it, and the problem is that for the cost you end up with the tire out of the way, but still with plastic corner pieces. Most people that want the tire out of the way wanted stronger bumpers as well. It did work pretty good though. I always found the difficult part was to determine exactly where to cut the hole in the rear bumper piece. Remember back in the days those corner pieces was expensive. My truck has about 30k on it when I did that.

Good luck, you might get some piece that want it. Make sure you get the support under the plastic pretty strong.

[hijack]
bluee.jpg

Man, that was a long time ago. Bought with 8k miles on the clock. Was never going to off-road it. This was the day before I sold it. Was also never going to sell it when I bought it. :D

swing8.jpg

Thanks Christo. Yeah, I spent some time on the link already. And I agree, the spindle arm that connects the spindle to the frame needs to be well done to make it quality. The cool thing about this carrier is that you can always adapt it to a future steel bumper...so the cost investment can happen in 2 steps...or when you trash the OEM bumper...

I need a tire carrier. And I need it yesterday, if you know what I mean :). I don't really want to spend $2K or $3K for it. But then I go to this "what if " mode and sort of settle down thinking may be I should wait till I have the money. If this tire carrier will be compatible with any bumpers out there, then I might be interested. I don't know if a Kaymar can be retrofitted with any bumper. :hmm:. Please post up some pictures of your initial design, when you have'em.

:cheers:

OK, Check out this link for pics and more details of the design.

Wild Yoats Toyota
1. Go to Tech and
2. look for REAR TIRE CARRIER TECH

Again, the design will follow this very closely, (except I am going with the spring pin as Slee's design for a bump stop.) I find this design simpler to make and less welds to do.

I am also attaching Zane's Tire Carrier build thread since I like his idea of bolting on the carrier to the frame, which is the way I want to go. (Wildyoats welded his)
I think Zane does a very good job describing the build.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/ks-mo-torn...390-fzj80-custom-rear-tire-carrier-picks.html

I am planning on rattle canning mine Rustoleum Black to keep the cost down.

I'm very intrested and want to see your progress.

Please keep us posted. :cheers:

OK, I am seeing that some people are interested. I should have made some progress on my carrier by end of next weekend...(I am travelling this weekend.) I will use this info to let my welder know that I need good labor pricing because I will most likely have a few more units coming...

Those that are interested once I get payment advances settled (1/2 up front) I can order the parts required...(latch, bumpstop, metal) and work with the welder on getting the carrier finished. FWIW, I am not interested in doing any trades.

This is the website where I ordered the carrier latch from. Model 341-R. It is a locking latch.
Toggle–Lock Plus™ Clamps | Models 331-R & 341-R

The Tire Carrier is finally finished. So much for a couple of weeks..

The most time consuming part is deciding on where to drill the hole on the rear corner piece, and getting the spindle arm to match up against the hole correctly and every other little detail about it (height for example) (FYI, it is better to drill closer to truck’s body...because if you drill farther away you loose clearance as the rear plastic bumper piece gets in the way of the spindle arm mount.)

I went with 1/8” 2x2 box steel for the main carrier, and 3/16” thick plate for the bolt on face plate that connect the spindle arm to the rear frame. It is secured by 3 bolts on the face, and the 2, 12mm bolts that secure the hitch and recovery hook under the frame….I had to get longer 12 mm hitch bolts to make up for the extra face plate thickness…
The spindle arm is made from 1 ½ x1 ½ , ¼” inch box steel…Like Christo said in my previous post, the key is getting the support under the plastic pretty strong, and I believe we have addressed this pretty confidently.

Parts
Rocklogic IPOR Spindle ($53 shipped…SLOW DELIVERY)
Locking 2000 pound latch ($42 shipped…Small Parts 341-R)
locking bumpstop pin or limiting strap.(decided to go for a strap instead temp strap for now) around $20
OEM Toyota Tire Lug Nuts and bolts, plus other bolts and stuff Some bolts and tire wheel lug nuts ($30)
Steel: $30-$40

See link for pics
bohemianjsr/Toyota Land Cruiser/Tire Carrier - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I want one!!!:bounce:
Ok, I am in Long Beach and will gladly come out your way to pick up. If you can PM me with a price and other details that would be great. Oh ya, you did a heck of a nice job on it!

Is this dead?

It is Dead. process proved too much work involved for interested people. I still think I did OK with it thus.

Shame,.. I was interested in this. i think I can weld this thing up but my Job is 100% travel.. if I'm working, I'm not at home... and usually not in the country either.

Does Christo still sell his?

v/r,

william

Dude, where did you get the ladder on your hatch?

Thanks.

Old thread revival!

Does anyone sell a kit to mount a tire carrier on the stock rear bumper?

This one from Slee looks great!
LC80_Rcarrier_Slee.jpg

Hum,

Here is what I going going to try...Next Friday or Saturday I plan to visit my dentist on some follow up in Mexicali, (dude does good dental work and reasonable) Already once before, I have talked to a local fabricator shop in town and believe me when I say these guys are good as they set up suspensions, and do custom fab work for Baja race trucks.

I will show them my design and see for how much they can build them....Obviously a few sets would keep the cost down...I am going to get a quote for 5 and let's see what they say...But don't hold me to it, just in case I don't get there this weekend.

cheers

Old thread revival!

Does anyone sell a kit to mount a tire carrier on the stock rear bumper?

This one from Slee looks great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom