We need first aid training! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Folks,

I propose that it's time to start an annual first aid training class for the club members. I've had first aid training in the past but w/o using it on a continued basis, I forget my fundamentals. I was given some serious first aid stuff that I need to be taught on their usage! Many of us have kids/babies/toddlers so it'll certainly help us out in that regard.

It also helps that the club has few first responders, search & rescue personnel and one (that I know of) first aid/S&R/doomsday scenario survival instructor among us. :)

I think the club has the funds to compensate/buy food/rent room if needed but not sure.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I already have a First Aid/CPR card, and will be taking a refresher in a week or so thought work. I think it's a good idea.

My Red Cross Instructor certificate 'might' still be good... I'll hafta check. If so, I can also teach Pet 1st Aid for anybody so interested. There'd be the usual ARC fees involved for supplies etc.

FWIW, Sandia Ranger Station has a conference room that used to be available for community groups. Many libraries have them as well.

My Red Cross Instructor certificate 'might' still be good... I'll hafta check. If so, I can also teach Pet 1st Aid for anybody so interested. There'd be the usual ARC fees involved for supplies etc.

FWIW, Sandia Ranger Station has a conference room that used to be available for community groups. Many libraries have them as well.

Pet first aid is something I've never gone through so it's definitely needed for me.

I am willing to help facilitate/coordinate this; I am proficient in all of these areas, but have no certifications that qualify me to instruct.

I'm willing to offer teaching services too. though I also have no current certs for teaching, I do have tons of real world experience.

edit: for the club I work for free too. :D

In a vacuum it sounds great. But I would be concerned that anything structured within the club could have us lose our "Good Samaritan" standing and expose people to liability. I think we are lucky as a club that we have so many members that have either active or passive FA training/experience - I can't recall any run or trip where I felt on-site medical assistance was present whether it be a paramedic/EMT, practicing medical professional or just someone like me as a fallback (I've held FR, HAZWOPER and a bunch of other certs over the years). I used to pay particular attention to expertise when there were all these late-term pregnant ladies on runs (like Jill doing Paliza the day before her due date!).

I think if people are concerned about their FA readiness they should seek thier own training but not have it tied in a structed way the club.

my .02

I'm also happy to help with this. All my teaching certificates are current, I'm willing to offer my certificates as an umbrella to capitalize on the expertise in the club if members want to actually acquire a certification from one of the national organizations. There are a multitude of courses to choose from. Currently pure "First Aid courses" focus on skills that don't tend to be life or limb saving. They tend to focus on minor injuries or conditions that the patient will survive whether they are treated or not. A more appropriate venue of courses might be the "Wilderness First Aid or First Responder Courses. These courses focus on treating serious injuries with a limited amount of equipment and a specialized set of medical protocols. Formalized training will not affect the "Good Samaritan" coverage offered by the state. In fact the "Good Samaritan Law" covers you to your level of training as long as you are not "officially on duty - supply medical care" and that the treatment you are performing does not require "Medical Direction". When an individual has no medical training that can be documented, they are truly limited to very basic skills. Wilderness Medical courses were specifically designed to give non-medical personal a reasonable toolbox of skills in a condensed period of time.
If the club wants more information regarding what is available, I'm happy to bring that information to the next meeting. I'm also interested in the "Pet First Aid". Cy

I have to say, Cy (old school) is the man for this one. this is his bread and butter. I was also going to say, formalized training does not open the club to any liability. Cy's explaination of "good samaritan" law is right on the money. in fact, some basic knowledge could keep one from making an injury worse, which is more of a liablility. sure, one of us with some training are present on many runs, but the potential exists for one of us to go down. then what?

I think the wilderness type class is perfect for what we do. I actually have not had this class and would like to take one.

paying for such training should be the responsibility of individuals IMO. but, we can have an informal class for the anyone in the club that's interested. again, I'd be willing to sit with a group of members and show some basics, and show how the equipment in your 1st aid kit works. beyond that Cy is the man.

I thought first aid for pets was a .22.

G

... and show how the equipment in your 1st aid kit works.

This would be great starter training and maybe it could include how to select or build a 1st aid kit.

Linda Bingham is a veterinarian. She might be willing to give us a class in pet first aid.

-Mike-

I think the wilderness type class is perfect for what we do. I actually have not had this class and would like to take one.

This is actually a class I've always wanted to take.

Formalized training will not affect the "Good Samaritan" coverage offered by the state. In fact the "Good Samaritan Law" covers you to your level of training as long as you are not "officially on duty - supply medical care" and that the treatment you are performing does not require "Medical Direction".

I think you guys missed my point. I'm all for individuals getting whatever training their comfort or interest levels allows. I'm just saying that I don't think there should be any specific endorsement or requirement for HDC membership/involvement with regard to nonprofessional medical training. If a bunch of HDCers want to organize some training as a group of individuals, I'm all for it and count me in.

There are two things I've run across that make me a little more cautious. Years ago Jennie Stonsifer fell and broke her arm on a non-HDC wheeling trip in CO. Another random trailrunner identified himself as a physician and set the arm for her in the field before she went to the hospital. He would not tell her his name or where he worked. Even though he clearly was not "on duty" he felt a certain concern for liability.

Another time of a trip out of state I got together with some members of another TLCA chapter. They had, as part of their by-laws, a requirement for a designated "trail medic" on any club runs. To me, that put that poor sucker in de facto "on duty" status and extended liability to him/her for anyone they "treated".

Greg, we are nothing but a bunch of guys. There is no official status to High Desert Cruisers.

Recently, all employees at the BioPark have been undergoing First Aid/CPR training. I highly doubt we would be going through this effort if there was any potential for liability against the City should an employee assist a visitor. The City has a large bulls-eye on it as it is, and if the City is not concerned, neither am I.

I say we go for the wilderness FA training.

I kinda knew what you meant Greg. but the discussion never looked to me like there was a thought of requirements for membership or designated medical people on club events. Ali wanted some refresher on skills and welcomed others that wanted it too. simple and easy. let's do it!:D

Last edited:
...He would not tell her his name or where he worked. Even though he clearly was not "on duty" he felt a certain concern for liability.

by the way, if anyone said this to me when I was injured, I wouldn't let them touch me. If off duty medical persons are worried that much about liability with someone, they shouldn't offer to help. just for future knowledge. I've seen gynecologists offer to help on cardiac issues...

Count me in! I'll help teach...I'll sit and learn, whatever needs to happen. I might even be able to get a classroom at the Fire Academy. Hopefully my assignment is going to change and ill be going out to the field here soon. So we would need to do it within the next few months.

I don't think there should be any specific endorsement or requirement for HDC membership/involvement with regard to nonprofessional medical training.

Lighten up Greg, its just a group of guys that want to get some wilderness first aid training. You're making WAAAAY more out of this than anyone intended. :rolleyes:

-Mike-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom