Anyone thought of putting stock size tires on their FJ40 restoration? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I came across these tires that (I think) are exact size of original tires, and they seem to have a very similar look? With a stock restoration, what do you guys think? They are very reasonable (125 each) and seem to be of the right era...

I know they probably suck for offroad (or even daily driver), but they would likely ride and look stock?

The width is 7.5, is this correct?

Thanks! Don
pi_25471.jpg

H78-15 was the original size, 225-75-15 would be equivalent. OEM height was 27" Ones you found look great, but you'll never be in the fast lane with rubber that small.

I've driven a rig on 225's....felt like my butt was dragging on the ground. If you're doing a bone stock resto, though, it would probably be the way to go. I think a slightly larger tire improves the look, clearance, etc......you can go up to a 29" inch tire on the stock steel wheels (and stock height) before you get rub on the drag link at full right turn.

I have 31x10.5's on my stock rims right now and I rub on the drag link at full lock....otherwise, there's no interference on wheel wells, etc. Here's a pic:
4208496501_af0658a0d0.jpg

Stock tire size setup

I'm in the same boat; we just got a '71 FJ40 and are restoring it. I want to keep it as stock as possible, and that includes the wheels and tire sizes.

Our FJ had stock sized tires which are 235/75R15s. After driving it to Atlanta and getting flipped off and honked at, even while driving in the far right lane, I've decided to go to a larger tire size. Both the 3spd and 4spd transmissions have a final drive ratio of 1:1 in the top gear, and with 4.11 gearing, you are "winding" out the motor at 60 mph and it's hard on your hearing. I've had it up to 65 and 70mpg, but it sounded like the engine would blow at any moment.

So in short, I decided to get new tires which I needed anyway because the stock-sized tires are street treads. After looking around, I found that the tallest tire you can fit on stock rims are 33x9.50x15s. I powder coated the factory rims to the original color and am keeping the chrome hub caps. I believe the factory rims are 7.5" or 8" wide, and these new tires fit great.

Here's a good link for you that I found regarding tire sizes: BJ Series Land Cruisers: Tech Articles: Tires and gearing.

The only company that makes this tire size (33x9.50x15) is BFG, and it's an all-terrain tread. I would prefer some time of mud tread, but this is all I found. Not everyone has these by the way, so you'll have to look around. The price you'll find is about $150 a tire give or take a few dollars.

The 33s fit nicely and they don't scrub. 10.5" wide tires will scrub on the front if you stay with the stock rims. The new tires "lifted" the vehicle considerably and it looks better. I haven't had it out on the road yet, but it should cruise at 65-70mph without winding out the motor instead of the previous 55-60mpg with the stock tires. It still has a lot of power in first gear, in case you're wondering.

I'm going to take apart the lift springs and get new shocks to see if I can improve the ride. If that fails, I'll save up for a 2.5" OME lift.

If you don't want to drive on highways and dont' want to drive anywhere even close to fast, then I'd say that your $125 stock tire size would be a good buy. Check out the year of the tire to make sure it's new. My tire shop guys say that the shelf life of tires is 4-5 years max, and most shops won't mount a tire that old. They say the rubber becomes less pliable and it's a safety hazard. I was a fleet manager for awhile, and I agree with them.

Keep me posted with your project and what you end up with.

Stock is to small, I got a 62 with what looks like stock size tire, some of them look like they might be original factory tires they are so dry rotted and split. Bottom line is its like a car, cannot even slide under it easily to look at stuff. A little bigger then stock still looks stock, but makes a big overall difference in my opinion.
ingarage.jpg

Why did they equip the 40s in america with these wimpy tires??:frown:

In europe they were sold with 7.50R16 on split rims between 1977/1979 and then with 215/75R16 as far as i remember well.

Why did they equip the 40s in america with these wimpy tires??:frown:

In europe they were sold with 7.50R16 on split rims between 1977/1979 and then with 215/75R16 as far as i remember well.

Ditto on the "stock" US size. Perhaps it was a limitation in DOT approvals given the high top speed Toyota claimed had on the 40 series!

7.50R16 is about 31" and that is what I use. 215/75R16 is 28.7" which is a bit small.

I think it was only the US that got "wimpy road" tires, perhaps Japan home market as well, sure Oz got real tires.

Depends on the year.

The older cruisers had 700-15, which more or less had a 30" OD.

Look at the two links provided in JohnnyC's post...that will answer most of your questions.

Destin has a set of the ones you posted in your first post, you can check out his build thread in the 25 section...be ready to read as he is doing a great job detailing the work being done!
Anyways, he likes them :beer:

If you are going to do a proper restoration, then do it properly. Get yourself a second rig to play with...my 0.02 :cheers:

H78-15 STA Super Traxion - Truck - Truck and Military

By the way, here is the link for these tires at Universal Vintage Tire Co. (This is a link above, click on it).

Also, more specs, note that these are 29.2 inches high, which seems exact for a good fit (get some height) for stock suspension. Does this alleviate the concern about slower speeds that someone else posted?

Thanks Don

Last edited:
Here's a pic with 235x75x15 with stock steel rims:
4252994328_a93660fe1a.jpg

Here's a pic with 31x10.5x15 with stock steelies:
4252223651_6d77df7079.jpg

I don't like rubbing on the drag link at full right lock with the 31's, so I'll probably go to a 9.5 with the next set, but I already had the 31's from another rig, so I'll stick with them....

You don't have to rub on the drag link - on the knuckle are the steering limit bolts that limit how far you can turn the tire. I don't have a pic handy, but on the knuckle there are two bolts, one front and one rear, that hit on a bump stop to limit tire rotation in a turn. Adjust this and you won't rub. Pretty simple, and lets you have a wider range of tires.

Pic of my FJ40 (1976) with 31x10.5x15

First of all, thanks so much for the useful links and discussion. This is really helpful and interesting.

I agree, I have the stops adusted on my FJ40 that has been restored and I don't have rubbing (31 x 10.5 x 15). They are on the housing front and back of the wheel hub.

In any case, this is the rig I am thinking about exchanging the old man emu lift (2 inch) and tires out for stock Toyota springs, shocks and tires. If anyone has access to new Toyota springs and shocks, I would be interested in a trade. The setup is new, having less than 100 miles on the setup. Or perhaps trade for a soft top setup. There are more pics on rig of the week a while back, if you are interested in seeing how it looks.

Try this link:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/263277-rig-week-rotw-january-19th-2009-fj40-1976-a.html

I ordered ONE of the tires that I put here on my first post. I will put them side by side with the tires on the rig now and post later. Just want to take a look at them before I commit to 5 of them. I will keep you posted.

By the way I don't think these (tires in the first post) are not the same tires that Destin has (although look similar). These are actual H78-15 tires (and labelled as such).
eBay 28 July75 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I understand your desire for the stock look. But once you go 33x10.50-15 you will never look back. 75mph all day. Yes it requires a 2.5" lift (OME in my case). I, personally would never go back to the stock ride and I've had this beast for 24 years and it was bone stock when I purchased it. Doing 55-60mph gets old real fast, especially on a 1000 mile highway trip.
78FJ40 16.jpg
78FJ40 27a.jpg

I've got at least two good OEM Dunlop Sno Cruisers if anyone is interested in really stock. One was my spare for a couple years. I'd run 'em on a resto.

31" Swamper Radials are a great looking alternative. There are some pics in my ROTW thread.

31" tires on a 40 makes them look like a 2wd asphalt queen. 33" BFG or even 33" all terrain on steelies keep the stock look but really enhance the overall look and capability. I get it though if you just want the absolute total purist, unmolested 40 look. Just my humble 2 cents but 31" look like crap, just not to my taste.

I think you are correct on Destin's tires, but I attached a pic of his rig on I believe new 700-15s (Red) and a pic of Jim's FJ25 (green) also on 700-15's.

700-15's have a 30" OD, where as the H78-15 you are looking at state a 29.2" OD with a thread width of 7.25", so yours will be ever so slightly smaller.

On a different note...I have no problem seeing 40s with 33" and larger tires, so I don't understand why the back lash to you wanting to go back to stock. It is not cool to have people dissing smaller tires as a matter of "taste", when they already know that stock is what YOU want to do :meh: I guess only another purist would understand.

A properly restored Cruiser is a very cool thing to see, so go for it, and enjoy yourself...but post more pics :beer::beer::beer:
3738135958_6da7005749_o bbbbbb.JPG
fj-25 b.jpg

Last edited:
You don't have to rub on the drag link - on the knuckle are the steering limit bolts that limit how far you can turn the tire. I don't have a pic handy, but on the knuckle there are two bolts, one front and one rear, that hit on a bump stop to limit tire rotation in a turn. Adjust this and you won't rub. Pretty simple, and lets you have a wider range of tires.

That's true....you can adjust the limit bolts, but that increases your turning radius. I need all the turn I can get when I'm plowing, so I'm trying to maintain the tightest radius that I can manage. I just may end up doing that, though, until I go to a narrower tire down the road.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom