Saginaw pump in FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
What's the scoop on putting a saginaw PS pump into an FJ60?

Does it overpressurize the rest of the OEM PS system?

Is it a help with Swamper in the rocks? Is it "too much" on the road?

What are the hose issues?

What are the bracket issues?

Is it worth it vs an OEM pump (OEM: rebuilt: $150, new $319)

I need to replace my OEM pump in any case...

THANKS!!!

mark

Last edited:
Here's my take on the matter. The saginaw unit is a great replacement.

First of all, I would not recommend buying a rebuilt OEM unit. They are not considered to be rebuildable due to a bushing that eventually fails / leaks that is not practically replaceable. Most people (myself included) who have purchased rebuilt units find they don't last very long. So I think your only choices are a new unit from Toyota ($350 or so), or a Saginaw unit.

The Saginaw pump does provide additional boost. For me, who as 33x12.50s, it was very welcome. I can now easily turn at slow speeds with one hand. And it only gets better when you take it off the pavement. Definite improvement over OEM. I have one on my 40 (with GM box), and it is excellent turning the 36" Swampers on any surface.

As for mounting, you'll of course need some kind of bracket. There are different styles and you can also come up with anything you want. I was lazy this time and so I bought the type that uses two of the head bolts to hold it on. The nice thing about that design is that the pump can be moved forward or back depending on what pulley you wish to run it off. This was great for me since I do not have the air pump and was in need of something to run the water pump. I now have two belts on the water pump (PS and alternator), which is nice. And the stock hoses will screw right on to the Saginaw unit. I didn't believe it myself, but it's true. And I understand that if you get a Volvo unit, you even get the wide pulley.

Add to this that you can get the units anywhere, they are very reliable, and very cheap (I think I paid $60 from Napa), I think you end up with something that is superior to Toyota OEM. JMHO.

Last edited:
I was lazy this time and so I bought the type that uses two of the head bolts to hold it on.

Is there one out there that uses the stock PS pump bolt holes?

I looked and all the commercially avail brackets use the two cylinder head bolts, including the 4+ one from MAF

And FWIW - the 86 I recently bought had a A1 cardone rebuild on it that was noisy as a Mother-in-law. I flushed it and used Amsoil ATF and a PS microfilter and it is amazing how quiet it is now. Runs perfect.

Saginaw pump in FJ60 ........

Best mod ever...............

Free yourself..........

So...

- NEW OEM PS pump will cost me $319, no tax, no shipping, at my local Toyota dealer. Bolt right in and go.

- Going Saginaw will cost me, in the best of worlds:
---- Pump, new: about $150,
---- pulley, $30 at JTO (plus shipping)
---- bracket $145 at JTO (plus shipping)
Bottom line: same price

Saginaw is easier/cheaper to replace admittedly.

So... back to my original questions:
Is the existing OEM PS system up to the added pressure of a Saginaw pump?
Is the added pressure a "good thing"? (I do wheel rocks, with 36" Swampers)

OEM pumps aren't known for their longevity...............

I have had a Saginaw pump mated to the Toyota box for the last 8 years. No problems, just super easy steering with 35" tires.
I plan on taking one off a chevy in a jukyard and rebuilding it one day but since todays cruiser death march it turns just fine and dosent squeal!!:D

From my research, some of the saginaw pumps allow the stock hose to screw on, but some don't. If it doesn't then have a shop braze the proper end on.

There is very little modification to the engine block bracket. At most you'll have to trim a little bit of one tab off.

The guy in this thread documents the install very thoroughly.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/221512-freds40-builds-60-a.html

There is very little modification to the engine block bracket. At most you'll have to trim a little bit of one tab off.

That thread seems to not talk about the bracket (unless I'm just not finding it. He does link to the guy that DID mod the bracket and build a little 2 into 1 adapter, and a spacer... did he ever make those adapters to sell? Someone there mentioned that he might have some interest if he made a "kit" of the adapter. spacer and instructions... sounds like a good idea, especially if the instructions include correct info regarding the right pump and pulley to source.

What's the death march? Doesn't your dad's Cruiser have a Saginaw on it?
ya his has one and it works great! and the death march was a 400 mile endurance run on the cruiser half on dirt half on road

Cruiser Outfitter's monthly run out to the Wendover area?
that would be the one haha besides the 4th gear at 3 grand doing 67 (very long drive) the thing purred and did great no leaks or problems!

that would be the one haha besides the 4th gear at 3 grand doing 67 (very long drive) the thing purred and did great no leaks or problems!

Have you hijacked my thread?.... bad mudders, bad.... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom