Seat rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My passenger seat rattles when going over bumps in the road. I found that I can shake the seat and duplicate this sound. I’ve noticed a thin black plastic thing sticking out form the slide. I can’t seem to push it in. anyone had this problem before?
Also the seat back will creak & groan when leaning the seat back what should I look for the fix these? (other than a new LC)
Dean

My PS middle seat (the one that flips forward to access the rear) shakes and rattles over bumps...just like you say yours does...haven't had time to figure it out...but it's on 'the list'.

mine too

mine does too.

Do you have a black thing sticking out the slide?

Last edited:
Has anyone figured out, other than leaving the seatback folded forward, how to eliminate the rear passenger side (the section that folds forward to allow access to the third row) constant rattle/vibration?

FYI: I have tried to make the contact point/latch tighter by placing rubber spacers under the seat and wrapping the latch bar, to increase the OD...to no avail. The latch mechanism just seems to have excessive slop that can't be adjusted out. Is this latch sloppy when new?

spressomon said:
Is this latch sloppy when new?

I have an 01 and it doesn't do this...yet. I'm knocking on wood, the only thing that rattles is the sunroof. If i close the sun-shade, it's not as bad, but it is still there. None of the seats rattle. I can take a picture of the latch mechanism tonight when I get home if you want to see if they are the same on a 99. Maybe there is a different style you could retro-fit to your seat.

Greg B said:
I have an 01 and it doesn't do this...yet. I'm knocking on wood, the only thing that rattles is the sunroof. If i close the sun-shade, it's not as bad, but it is still there. None of the seats rattle. I can take a picture of the latch mechanism tonight when I get home if you want to see if they are the same on a 99. Maybe there is a different style you could retro-fit to your seat.

Thanks...a comparison might reveal the problem (hopefully).

Has anyone figured out, other than leaving the seatback folded forward, how to eliminate the rear passenger side (the section that folds forward to allow access to the third row) constant rattle/vibration?

FYI: I have tried to make the contact point/latch tighter by placing rubber spacers under the seat and wrapping the latch bar, to increase the OD...to no avail. The latch mechanism just seems to have excessive slop that can't be adjusted out. Is this latch sloppy when new?

This is incredibly sloppy, but I am having this issue as well... for the time being, I've wedged part of a blanket between the seats, which stopped the problem... now to work on the sunroof shade rattle.

IMHO, this is very embarassing for lexus... i never had a single one of these issues in the 99 LC, which also rode better too

My 2000 has just started this from the passenger seat too! Too many other projects in front of this though so it'll be making noise for a while:rolleyes:

My PS middle seat (the one that flips forward to access the rear) shakes and rattles over bumps...just like you say yours does...haven't had time to figure it out...but it's on 'the list'.
Mine too-- seems to be coming from the lower plastic section towards the front and it gets worse in cold weather. Does anyone know if you can take the seat apart to access this area?

I wasn't going to add anything here because I've been tagged as a disgruntled customer by the great and powerful Toyota -- the man behind the velvet curtain continues ignoring our plight.

As part of my dispute with Toyota this is one of the more minor issues -- during a recent inspection from the field engineer he revealed "they all rattle including the lexus."

The sad part is Toyota and Lexus knows about this ongoing seat rattle problem. One would think a company dedicated to quality and customer satisfaction would do something about it -- like maybe a real fix and a TSB.

No s*** -- they told me to use heavy grease on the mechanism (latch) and use baby powder on the leather in between the seats.

I'm totally disgusted with their lame responses -- obviously they've had enough complaints to warrant a fix.

Since you have AO drawers, just stick something soft between the back of the seat and the drawers.. I used a small rug and no more noise :)

I've had this noise since day one btw.. Dealer couldn't fix it..

Since you have AO drawers, just stick something soft between the back of the seat and the drawers.. I used a small rug and no more noise :)

I've had this noise since day one btw.. Dealer couldn't fix it..

Thanks Siglo...the noise went away about the same time I installed seat covers. The seat covers explain the leather on leather squeek but shouldn't alter the latch mechanism that secures the seat in the upright position :confused: .

Now I have a terrible metal-on-metal screech that apparently is coming from the AO drawer latches. It seems the little plastic piece they come with has disintegrated (it looked like that would happen!) and now the latch 'bolt' rubs on the metal bottom 'catch'.

I guess I could just use what Toyota told a990dna to use on the seat latch: A glob of grease :rolleyes: .

There may be more to fixing this rattle than meets the eye... maybe it's safety related and would require a bunch of testing. The latch and cable is probably designed to withstand a major front or rear impact.

As long as it doesn't make me crazy like some chinese torture test... and I don't drive over a cliff -- I'm okay with it.

There may be more to fixing this rattle than meets the eye... maybe it's safety related and would require a bunch of testing. The latch and cable is probably designed to withstand a major front or rear impact.

As long as it doesn't make me crazy like some chinese torture test... and I don't drive over a cliff -- I'm okay with it.

On mine with the rear seat back folded down the rattle goes away (I would assume because the seat back when in the upright position has more leverage on the latch mechanism than when folded down)...FYI.

On mine with the rear seat back folded down the rattle goes away (I would assume because the seat back when in the upright position has more leverage on the latch mechanism than when folded down)...FYI.

Mine does the same... the visit prior to my Toyota inspection the tech told me to drive around with the seat folded down. The last visit they applied greased to it after the field engineer inspection -- its been 2-3 weeks now and it seems the grease made it worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom