Military Cooler - Console? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was at a military surplus place today and found a 1959 LANDERS FRARY & CLARK insulated and sealed cooler. I was thinking it would make a good console in the 60. What do you guys think?

CONSOLE_1.JPG

CONSOLE_2.JPG

CONSOLE_3.JPG
CONSOLE_1.JPG
CONSOLE_2.JPG
CONSOLE_3.JPG

The fit is damn near perfect with 9.5 inches in width and the height is just right. The top pops off for easy access to whatever chilled bev's are in there. Shifter positioned in 4th gear with plenty of room.

I was thinking of using straps to keep it in place so that I can put some ice in it for the trips and be able to dump out the water. I don't want to bolt it in.

CONSOLE_4.JPG
CONSOLE_4.JPG

Last edited:
love it!

A mermite can! I've eaten many a tasty and nutritious meal out of one of them...:rolleyes:

It would be perfect for that use. I don't remember them having drain hole at all - which could actually be a good thing if you don't want it leaking.

On a KLR forum, someone had a pair of these to make panniers with. He started tearing into them to customize them and they are tough as hell. They are incredibly well built.

So that's what it's called...a mermite can.

No drain means no leaks and it has the rubber seal around the top. A quick search on google shows that the motorcycle guys like them for panniers as you say.

I think it will make a fine console... no cup holder, but who absolutely needs a cup holder?

That's pretty cool...

Howdy! Neat setup. I would just use short lash-downs into the handles in the ends so you can keep it portable. Maybe hinge the lid at the back so it is easier to open and close while driving. John

Yup, that's what I was thinking. Want to keep it portable.

Howdy! Neat setup. I would just use short lash-downs into the handles in the ends so you can keep it portable. Maybe hinge the lid at the back so it is easier to open and close while driving. John

wish i had found one of those rather than the ammo can i'm using. it works fine but i think being hinged on the side will actually make it easier. it's a bit awkward swinging that long lid from front to back.

How will you mount it without poking any holes in it?
I'd use a tie down strap thru the end handle and secured to the seat mounts, or drill a couple of anchors into the floor. John

With end handles on both sides I can strap it down to the floor. On the back side, I already have E-clip mounts that I can use. I will have to come up with something for the front, but won't be a big deal.

I don't want to drill into it.

I kinda like it the way it is, so probably won't powdercoat it.

So that's what it's called...a mermite can.

No drain means no leaks and it has the rubber seal around the top. A quick search on google shows that the motorcycle guys like them for panniers as you say.

I think it will make a fine console... no cup holder, but who absolutely needs a cup holder?

Now...if you get yourself a Hundy, you're gonna wantcha some cup holders!! :D

With end handles on both sides I can strap it down to the floor. On the back side, I already have E-clip mounts that I can use. I will have to come up with something for the front, but won't be a big deal.

I don't want to drill into it.

I kinda like it the way it is, so probably won't powdercoat it.

They're double walled, and if I remember correctly, there's a lip around the bottom. Either aspect could lend itself to bolt-down sorts of attachments. Might be possible to rivet to the exterior wall, not compromising the interior, and you wouldn't have to worry about straps.

Not for me but it looks good. Thanks for sharing another unique idea for a center console.

I've had my share of green eggs served outta those in my time, too. I too wouldn't make that my first choice, but it's def got character!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom