On fj60 PS conversion - do you need a draglink? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mini truck/FJ60 steering arms, FJ60 right and left tie rod end, FJ60 lower drag link end, wagoneer pitman arm with GM high angle one ton upper drag link end

IMG_3351.jpg

The key here is that if you wanted to go 60 series steering, and buy all new rod ends and whatnot, that you could buy:
  1. 1x passenger side TRE
  2. 2x Driver side TRE
  3. 1x 60 series drag link
  4. 1x custom relay rod (or use a 70 series relay rod, apparently they are the "correct" side and work just fine--that's what Matt has)

Dan,

Just to clarify, instead of 1x 60 series drag link end, I have 1x 70 series drag link end. That plus the 70 series "relay rod" tube got me the correct length to match up with my pitman arm coming off my FJ60 steering box. Next time I would probably either get a custom tube made and use just FJ60 components (J7 stuff is expensive here in the states), or I would go to FJ60/minitruck outer components to simplify some of this; probably still have a custom tube made; except it would be easier/hopefully cheaper to make with the 21mm threads on both ends.

And in addition to the TRE thread sizes being different between J4 and J6/7 models, the tapered stud for the cotter pin is also a different size (larger on the J6/7 stuff), so when mating things together you have to take that into account as well.

Anyway, carry on...

So I've got my gear installed. Thanks for all the resource on MUD!.

Why don't people just use the standard fj40 relay rod and screw on the original fj40 draglink? I was able to do this and I'm able to turn from stop-to-stop so I'm now curious why this isn't an option. Other than the fact the stock fj relay rod is a bit wimpy. Am I missing something?

Also, what length is the "proper" relay rod length on a fj60 conversion?

I would suggest upgrading to 80 series ends and you can get the sleeves to work with the 60 series smaller ends.

So I've got my gear installed. Thanks for all the resource on MUD!.

Why don't people just use the standard fj40 relay rod and screw on the original fj40 draglink? I was able to do this and I'm able to turn from stop-to-stop so I'm now curious why this isn't an option. Other than the fact the stock fj relay rod is a bit wimpy. Am I missing something?

Also, what length is the "proper" relay rod length on a fj60 conversion?

The only reason you were able to do that is because you have the modified FJ40 pitman arm (IIRC) (EDIT: I went back and looked, not sure what you have for a pitman arm...but my previous sentence would be my guess as to why it worked). I and others kept the FJ60 pitman arm.

On the length:
IH8MUD.com - View Single Post - FJ60 Power Steering Conversion for FJ40 while keeping air pump
from here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/co-wy-hors...conversion-fj40-while-keeping-air-pump-3.html

By they way, my signature line has a link to my FJ60 conversion if you'd like to compare...

Something I just noticed - do you think you will have bumpsteer issues because your box/drag link is situated pretty far forward? See you had to cut into your bib to fit the steering box...your drag link and tie rod are not quite parallel - not sure how off they have to be to see bumpsteer but something to be careful of when you start driving it around...

Here are pictures of mine... those I used earlier where references for my questions.

Anyway, This is what it all looks like with the fj40 relay rod along with the fj40 draglink attached to the fj60 pitman arm.
IMG_9209-small.jpg
IMG_9211-small.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom