GY DuraTrac vs BFG AT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to pick up a set of tires this week and wanted to get some opinions before I pull the trigger. I know that the BFG AT/KOs are a proven tire and do well in a variety of situations and they have GREAT treadlife if you take care of them. Now these DuraTrac's seem like they have just the right amount of aggressive tread for on and off road. I am actually slightly biased towards them visually because they *look* more badass and seem as if they would provide better sidewall protection. I am interested in getting 285s, load E, in whichever brand, but just wanted some input before I seal the deal. Oh yeah, I'm at stock height so hopefully they won't rub although according to the MUD threads, 285 BFGs fit stock w/o rubbing.

I went to the GY shop down the road and the guy quoted me somewhere around $1000 for 4, 285/75/16s mounted, balanced, and warrantied (I've got the printout somewhere...). That doesn't seem bad for pricing - seems pretty on-par with the BFG ATs.

So far everything between the GYs and the BFGs seems to be on par, but the only thing holding me back right now is the unknown treadlife of the GYs. I'm assuming they'll go about 40k?

Which would be your choice?

The GY's are probably better in mud and snow. BFG's aren't mountain snowflake branded in load E. BFG has a $70 promo going on right now if that makes a difference.

I agree with everything you said. I just bought a set of DuraTrac 285/75/16's and will get them put on in the next 2 weeks. I don't know about the $70 promo, but they came with a $20 rebate, woohoo...
I'll post more when I get them on.

Can you get the GYs in load range D, 285/75 r 16?

I was waiting for my Slee diff drop and a couple days off. Putting the lift and tires on the 1st, just in time... Are we still tracking for the ride Nick?

I was waiting for my Slee diff drop and a couple days off. Putting the lift and tires on the 1st, just in time... Are we still tracking for the ride Nick?

If all goes planned then yes were still on. Can't wait man. Did you get the lift finally?

why do you want the load e?

The GY DuraTracs in size 285/75/16 only come in load E. I think I'm going to go with them and have the guy order me up a set today. Everyone on the road has got BFGs, it would be nice to be a little different. I'm gonna run them at stock height and before next summer I'll be getting an OME medium lift to balance things out. Hopefully they won't rub before then...if they do, I guess I'm getting it sooner!

The GY DuraTracs in size 285/75/16 only come in load E. I think I'm going to go with them and have the guy order me up a set today. Everyone on the road has got BFGs, it would be nice to be a little different. I'm gonna run them at stock height and before next summer I'll be getting an OME medium lift to balance things out. Hopefully they won't rub before then...if they do, I guess I'm getting it sooner!

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to see your truck once you get them on. I am also thinking of the DuraTracs. I'm in Elk Grove, work in Folsom. Thanks!

You are luck you can get the Duratrac's. Here they are on backorder for 2 months.

You are luck you can get the Duratrac's. Here they are on backorder for 2 months.
bummer man. guess i'm furtunate that i can get mine so fast but i guess that would have more to do with location to distribution centers.

i missed their call yesterday and called them back this morning and confirmed that i wanted a set - guy actually called me back this afternoon and said they just got them in the shop :steer:

Your dealer must not want your business very bad... I needed a new set of 5 tires for my FZJ80, and the local Discount dealer rounded up 3 in TX and 2 from CO (in 285/75/16). Took a week and a half to get them here, and my truck sold in the interim. New buyer didn't want the tires. :frown::) Can't decide if i should put them on my new 100 or not. The 295 Nittos still have some life in them, but I sure like the duratrac's tread. I may just spend the $ on a new stereo instead...

some have said that the duratracs feel a little soft in the sidewall, unless you go with e. that is why i am selling my 15 in rims and going with 16s for the 285s on my fj62.

i priced mine at 4wheel parts for about $190 a tire plus tax because i can pick them up. tire rack has them at $180 iirc. get a tire place to match tire racks price. they will most likely match the "shipped price"

i think $800-$900 for 4 tires is the range you COULD be in.

do you 100 series guys even care about $100 though??? :hmm:

do you 100 series guys even care about $100 though??? :hmm:

Yes, We can always use a little pocket change for tipping the valets and such. :p

Got them mounted up last night. All I can say is "SAVAGE" and the :princess: approves! I know I need to ditch the running boards, but not until I order up my kickout sliders. Oh yeah, these are with NO LIFT and I don't think they'll rub - I still need to do some more investigations in the daylight as well as at full turn/wheel stuff to confirm this, but so far so good with U-turns and street driving.

Oh man is my truck jealous with its 31s
duratrac2.jpg
Duratrac1.jpg
duratrac3.2.jpg

Nice! Let us know how they ride. I'm thinking of close to the same size for mine, 295/65-18.

Got them mounted up last night. All I can say is "SAVAGE" and the :princess: approves! I know I need to ditch the running boards, but not until I order up my kickout sliders. Oh yeah, these are with NO LIFT and I don't think they'll rub - I still need to do some more investigations in the daylight as well as at full turn/wheel stuff to confirm this, but so far so good with U-turns and street driving.

Oh man is my truck jealous with its 31s

what's the road noise like?

Michelin 1100r16 XL tires

The GY have a military look to them. The only concern is an E load range. I wonder how stiff they are compared to BFG ATs.

what's the road noise like?
very low. i could barely notice them with the windows down and radio off at street speeds (25-50mph). at any higher speed there will obviously be more noise from road/wind/speed. you can feel some slight knobbyness at low speed, but i think it has more to do with them being so fresh and it was cold.

i'm going on a small road trip this weekend around the bay area, so i'll get a better idea of how they are on the road after then.

i was worried about the E rating and stiff ride, but i don't mind - the 100 is pretty darn heavy and if they're gonna be more resistant to damage, i'm all for it. it's gonna be stronger and weigh slightly more, but the benefits outweigh the cons. and did i mention they look savage? IMO, they're the best looking AT on the market right now. I couldn't be happier with my choice (I lie...if I had 35's, a lift, 4.88s, and dual ARBs, THEN I'd be happier!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom