3 choices: help me choose (tires) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 04 LC w/ stock suspension (torsion bars cranked to level it). I drive 98% on pavement (no snow here in So. Cal.). When I'm off pavement, it's fire road-type stuff, not crawling. I rarely tow and when I do, it's a utility trailer with a couple of dirtbikes. I want my car to look a little tougher, but to still drive well.

I've read a lot of threads and I've narrowed my choices to: (i) BFG 285/65/18 (=32.6"); (ii) Bridgestone Revos 275/65/18 (=32"); and Revos 265/70/18 (32.6").

Will BFG look too tough (or wheel wells too stuffed) on otherwise stock cruiser? They're wider and taller so they may change ride too much. Some people say they rub on stock suspension.

Will the Revos (275/65) make enough of a difference in look (only 1" taller than stock and tread isn't as aggressive as BFG)?

The other Revos (265/70) are narrower than stock. Will the better look of increased height be undone b/c they will look skinnier in the wells?

Please give me any thoughts/suggestions as between these three. Thanks in advance.

To toughen the look you need the side lugs, so BFG out of the three. I know you said you narrowed it down to those, but have you looked at the Cooper Zeon LTZ? Look at bamachem's thread. They look awesome and he's been happy with them.

very happy with them. grip is excellent and wearing like steel too...

these are 285/60/18 though - both wider and taller than stock.

Clicky the Linky

Bamachem: I clicked the link and your tires look really nice. Is your suspension stock? I like a little more sidewall so I checked the Cooper website. It seems that they don't make those tires in 285/65/18 or 275/65/18. Also, I think that tread pattern may be too biased against my typical driving (street dry and rarely wet). They look so nice though that I'm tempted.

Anyone have photos of Revos on their 100 series (I've seen photos with the BFGs--they seem more popular here)

Anyone have photos of Revos on their 100 series (I've seen photos with the BFGs--they seem more popular here)

Just search "Revo" in the 100 section, tons of threads.

I'd forgo the "tough" factor if your use is that much pavement and get a better tire like a Michelin.

BFG.

Havent had the other tire, but the bfg's were awesome for me. Great traction in all terrains for an at. I got tonsssss of miles off of them! Had them for 45,000 miles with plenty of tread left. At least 10,000 more.

I'd go with the bfgs....

Metric sizing sucks - Totally unintuitive!

I think a tire best suited for the driving conditions is the one that looks the best. I guy sitting on 6" of lift and Mud Terrains in a rush-hour commute just looks like a fool compensating for something.

For me that means a Revo 2 since I was very pleased with my previous set of Revos.

So Cal. on-road really calls for a General Grabber HTS in stock size (also available in 285/70/R16). With the savings over the overpriced and under-updated BFG you could put on a set of Bilsteins for better handling. You'd still be in good shape for fire roads.

The Coopers, Nittos and new Hankooks are the most aggressive looking tires available.

Of your three the Revo 2 in 275/65 will be the best choice and it looks fine. Great on road, good off road and well built.

Stock suspension. I cranked the T-bars so that the front is about 1" lower than the back - it was at a stinkbug-stance 2.5" lower before.

I would have liked 285/65's, but to be honest, you're talking about a half-inch of overall diameter. You're really not going to see the difference with your eye unless you literally put the tires up next to each other for a touching side-by-side comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom