How to remove clutch pilot bearing with no special tools (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Real easy to remove the pilot bearing using the disc line up tool and grease.

if you go all gung ho about gettin this bearing out and damage it before doing it this way (the right way) this method aint gonna work for you.

first pull the ring lookin knob out of the line up tool that comes in your kit.

fill the inside of the hole with grease. you will be displacing air with grease. once its full put the line up tool in the hole and wack it a few time with the hammer.

as the bearing comes out, there will be more volume behind it and you need to keep adding grease, pushing out the air as you do it. on this job here, i added grease 3 times before it came out.

its really easy to do.

make sure you clean out all the grease and shoot it down with brake clean before you put the new bearing back in.

4cd4981c.jpg

635323da.jpg

c2713416.jpg

57f7fec4.jpg

021abcf2.jpg

:lol: and far better for the bearing than the wet wonder bread pieces trick using the same method.

I've also used a spare trans shaft that was cut down. Handles the blows from the mallet better.

:lol: and far better for the bearing than the wet wonder bread pieces trick using the same method.

I've also used a spare trans shaft that was cut down. Handles the blows from the mallet better.

Why on earth would you use wet bread?

Also, why on earth would you not replace a pilot bearing if you have it out?

The alignment tool/cut down input shaft are fantastic ideas. Much easier than searching for the correct size socket or dowel...

Dan

Instead of using grease I used small strips of wet newspaper. It's not as messy and easier to clean.:D

I did the same thing, works great. I think I used a punch or something that was the same OD as the bearing ID...

Nice gloves, do they glow in the dark? :lol:

its great when that trick actually works most of the times that ive tried that i have failed:frown: so i grabbed the welder and slide hammer:hillbilly:

I use bread, not wet though... It's not messy, it won't catch air pockets while you try to pound it in there. And it won't shoot out and hit you in the eye if you don't have the right sized punch...

You should be wearing safety glasses when working under a vehicle... :doh:

its great when that trick actually works most of the times that ive tried that i have failed:frown: so i grabbed the welder and slide hammer:hillbilly:

Try the bread. I've had a slide hammer not work, only to have the bread work perfectly. I'd bet the wet newspaper would do as well, but then you don't have an excuse to have hot dog or hamburger buns in the shop, and if you've got the buns, it's only natural to have the burgers or dogs too...

Dan

This is what wet newspaper looks like when it comes out, no mess.

8-25-08004Medium.jpg

Try the bread. I've had a slide hammer not work, only to have the bread work perfectly. I'd bet the wet newspaper would do as well, but then you don't have an excuse to have hot dog or hamburger buns in the shop, and if you've got the buns, it's only natural to have the burgers or dogs too...

Dan

O/T..everyone else reading into this like I am? He'll host you for a repair and cook you lunch! :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom