Seafoam or Berryman's B-12? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seafoam or Berryman's? I'm thinking I might need to clean out the combustion chamber/valve train on the '60.....do these products actually work? Any damage to seals/gaskets/etc...? Negatives? Positives?

Always have been hesitant to put any aftermarket additives into the system so those with firsthand experience please pipe up before I go and do something I might later regret....:doh:

Thanks,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Does Seafoam work? Hell yeah!

The first time I treated my 87 FJ60 with Seafoam was in a parking lot of an auto parts store, guys were stopping to ask if I needed a ride home, because the black smoke coming out of the tail pipe was making them think my motor blew! It really does the trick when it comes to cleaning out carbon deposits- two thumbs up!

Be careful, I would use Berryman's for the fuel tank and Seafoam for the carb system. Yeah, they can do a number on your gaskets. Also be careful as they can loosen up deposits that will haunt you in the long run. Unless you really think you need it, then use it; otherwise don't.

Hell, I use them all, but I am prolly wasting my money.

Could someone elavorate a little more on these two products? Are they available at my local autozone? How are they used? Thanks in advance guy's.

MR.FJ60 said:
Could someone elavorate a little more on these two products? Are they available at my local autozone? How are they used? Thanks in advance guy's.

Yes - and the uses are all on the side of the can...

which leads to:

As far as which is better, I'd say it depends. They are a little different. Seafoam into the manifold is great for clearing carbon, and in the crankcase it's helped mine idle smoother and more quietly. I've put both in the tank and never noticed a difference.

I like B12 for cleaning though. I keep spray cans and the open top cans in the garage at all times. I've run B12 through the oil just before an oil change, too. Seems to do an okay job cleaning things out, but I haven't seen any huge benefits from using it...(but again, it's great for parts cleaning. I don't use anything else if I can help it.)

Thanks a bunch swank.

How do you seafoam the the motor without putting in the gas tank

Pull one of the vacuum lines off of your brake booster.

i like Seafoam, and think it works great - but haven't tried B12 before.

I usually pour down the carb while keeping the RPM's up, then let it bogg and die so seafoam can soak some parts for 10-15 min, then fire back up and go!

I've heard about fouling issues and such, so typically do it just before i change plugs and oil. Also usually put the other half of the can into the gas and/or oil.

Not "magic in a bottle" but works very well IMO.

GL!

i run b12 through my fuel every so often. not sure how much it helps since i still have to use starter fluid almost every time i get in the truck. i've also done the seafoam treatment which worked wonders on helping to identify all of my exhaust leaks. i had smoke spilling out of cracks and crevices from the manifold to the tail pipe.

as i understand it you put some seafoam in the gas tank in with the oil and in your carb or throttle body, and it is smart to do it during a tune up cause i believe you are supposed to change plugs at the same time. It loosens alot of gunk up in there which is why you change oil and plugs and such at the time you do it. I have heard wonders though. Look on youtube , theres some videos.

I used some Seafoam on my 160k miles TBI Sub. Put the whole can in the fuel tank and then filled it to it's full 40 gal. capacity. Mileage from that tank sucked, but the smoothness & drivability did slightly improve afterwards.

Pouring Seafoam straight into the carb is worth it just for the smoke!

Guys... WATER in the intake will clean the combustion chambers. That trick is older than anyone on this board. Not a damn thing special about Seafoam there.

Please elaborate on how Seafoam... or anything... added to the oil in the crankcase will improve how the engine runs. With supportable arguments, based on some sort of science or at least demonstrable repeatable facts.

Mark...

hasn't mythbusters done something on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom