New Mahindra diesel U.S. truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ever since the Tacoma got big and gas prices have gone way up, I've thought that there's a hole in the US market for a small pickup. Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Isuzu all sold great, fuel efficient economy pickups for low prices in the 70's and 80's. The only thing you can get even close to a compact pickup in the US anymore is a Ford Ranger. I think if someone (Kia, Hyundai, Mahindara - Maybe even Toyota) would market a no frills, basic small pickup in the US for low-mid teens, they could sell the crap out of them, especially if it got 25+ mpg. How about a Hilux with a manual transmission and a turbo-diesel motor?

Last edited:
Acording to Petersons 4Wheel &Off-road. "Industry sources now indicate it'll be Feb before they go on sale in the states. The delay has been caused by changes made to the trucks to make sure it is right for the US market. By mid Summer 300 dealers should be selling the 2 door for $22-$25k and 4 door 4x4 for $24-$27k.

Ever since the Tacoma got big and gas prices have gone way up, I've thought that there's a hole in the US market for a small pickup. Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Isuzu all sold great, fuel efficient economy pickups for low prices in the 70's and 80's. The only thing you can get even close to a compact pickup in the US anymore is a Ford Ranger. I think if someone (Kia, Hyundai, Mahindara - Maybe even Toyota) would market a no frills, basic small pickup in the US for low-mid teens, they could sell crap out of them, especially if it got 25+ mpg. How about a Hilux with a manual transmission and a turbo-diesel motor?

I could not agree more- I saw toyota just released a work truck version of the tundra with vinyl floors and seats, crank windows and I believe manual locks. It is a step in the right direction.

I could not agree more- I saw toyota just released a work truck version of the tundra with vinyl floors and seats, crank windows and I believe manual locks. It is a step in the right direction.

I have a 2002 tundra like that.. I had to order it.

Thanks for the link, I signed up for the test drive.

ken

IMHO it is overpriced. Get the price in line with similar entry level vehicles and they would sell a boatload of them.

Well the accessories and forums will be coming soon.........:D
2MahindraAccessories.jpg

Ever since the Tacoma got big and gas prices have gone way up, I've thought that there's a hole in the US market for a small pickup. Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Isuzu all sold great, fuel efficient economy pickups for low prices in the 70's and 80's. The only thing you can get even close to a compact pickup in the US anymore is a Ford Ranger. I think if someone (Kia, Hyundai, Mahindara - Maybe even Toyota) would market a no frills, basic small pickup in the US for low-mid teens, they could sell **** out of them, especially if it got 25+ mpg. How about a Hilux with a manual transmission and a turbo-diesel motor?

This is what is keeping me from buying a 2010 Tacoma..... too big.... Unfortunately it may be my best option :/ Any update on when these will be available and solid pricing ??

Yeah but look at Tundras now vs. the first generation. They're freaking HUGE

I Saw a few pickups in Chile last month.

I have a Mahindra diesel tractor, so far it has proven to be reliable.

I was also quite surprised to see almost every vehicle we have in North America available in a diesel including most of the big 3 auto products.

It has left me wondering why we are so far behind.

On my farm in Costa Rica I have a 2007 Hilux turbo diesel with a solid front axle. I wish I could buy the same truck here in the USA.

Ypu just have to hang onto the old stuff. I have an 85 extra cab converted to EFI, an 83 that I am going to either put 22RE EFI or a 2rz, an 85 longbed, an 86 4runner, a 92 LC with a 94 engine, and a 79 that I need to get right. People often come by knocking on my door asking if I want to sell. I wish I could have then more perfect but all of them run. They are very much stock

I am gonna guess that 80% of the driving population in the USA cannot drive a stick shift.

It is difficult to send a text message, drink coffee, fiddle with the Ipod and apply makeup while shifting gears. :D

I just saw this and googled the truck and it still not for sale here stateside from what I can see. It seems like a cool truck, a lot like the Hilux. I grew up driving a standard and I love them and in fact that's usually what I drive in HN.

-Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

plus,
when my daughter was going to take her driving test, the tester stated "no manual vehicles, auto only" so she had to take her test in the Civic instead of the Land Cruiser.
it almost seems they WANT drivers today to be ... uneducated ... in the ways of the manual.

It is difficult to send a text message, drink coffee, fiddle with the Ipod and apply makeup while shifting gears. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom