80 series sleeping setups? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cypher

# ./lock -diff
Threads
Does anyone have any good pics or build threads for 80 series sleeping setups? As in sleeping inside the 80 for camping/exploring. I am making comparisons between 80's and 100's as I am considering the purchase of one of them. Thanks!

Here's the platfom I built for the back of our 80. Fits a queen size futon mattress with room to spare:

StorageBox108Panorama.gif

StorageBox102.jpg

StorageBox112.jpg

My wife & I just did a six night trip up around Yellowstone, and slept in the back of the Cruiser every night - very comfortable. It was really nice to not have to set up camp every night.

Wow! Very nice! That is one of the nicest platform setups I have seen in any vehicle. Thanks for the great pics!

Anyone else?

Birfmark,

I love your setup. Are your second row seats still installed and just folded down for sleeping?

Very nice and well engineered.

I made it so the folded seats fit under the platform, yes.

When going on trips though, we pull the seats for the extra storage room.

Whoa, now that is even more slick than I already thought you setup was. Very nicely done sir!

Here's mine. I have a shelf setup, I just fold the seat forward for the extra length (much like everyone else). I haven't yet built a fold-out section to support my legs (my head would be by the tailgate), so just I throw a pillow or two on top of the seat. I have to fold the front seat forward, too... Super comfortable.

6489_224909160227_539070227_7541407_147820_n.jpg

Here's mine. I have a shelf setup, I just fold the seat forward for the extra length (much like everyone else). I haven't yet built a fold-out section to support my legs (my head would be by the tailgate), so just I throw a pillow or two on top of the seat. I have to fold the front seat forward, too... Super comfortable.

6489_224909160227_539070227_7541407_147820_n.jpg

Not a bad idea there.. Looks like you still have room to store stuff while you are sleeping as well.

Not a bad idea there.. Looks like you still have room to store stuff while you are sleeping as well.

Yep. I moved the tire on top, so now I have all 5 seats available. I use the toolbox as some sort of nightstand, and I can open the sliding windows if it gets stuffy.

Does anyone have any good pics or build threads for 80 series sleeping setups? As in sleeping inside the 80 for camping/exploring. I am making comparisons between 80's and 100's as I am considering the purchase of one of them. Thanks!

There's some pretty good stuff in this thread already, but there's got to be dozens of cool drawer system/sleeping platform threads. Check the FAQ, and do some searching. You'll be amazed what you find.

Good luck, and my vote is go for the 80!

There's some pretty good stuff in this thread already, but there's got to be dozens of cool drawer system/sleeping platform threads. Check the FAQ, and do some searching. You'll be amazed what you find.

Good luck, and my vote is go for the 80!

Thanks man! And yes I am counting votes haha... Indeed a little luck and patience is what is required of me right now. I am leaning towards an 80 but I just want to make sure this thing is going to be up for daily driving. I have been researching the hell out of both the 80 and 100, all over the place, on forums other than MUD, but this seems to be the best location for tons of good info.

I bought a "truck tent" for my old mini-truck and never used it. I later tried it out on my Land Cruiser and it was pretty nice to have. This particular size is a little small for the Land Cruiser. They make bigger ones. But basically, you can put the tailgate down and liftgate up and get about 2 to 3 additional feet of length out of the rear interior. This makes a huge difference when trying to sleep lengthwise and it also gives you room to stretch out on the tailgate while still inside a private and waterproof tent. Like if you wanted to change clothes or something. Having a mid level platform like most of us do, for drawers and such, is nice to sleeping, but pretty cramped for any other kind of moving around or sitting up, etc.

I plan to eventually order the next size up and use this from now when sleeping in the back of the Land Cruiser.

When I used it, it never rained and it was late summer, so I can't really speak for weather ability, but it's suppose to be weather proof like any other tent.

Not that I would ever mangle my LC, but it actually gave me an idea that if anyone was ever to build a mini-camper out of these things, adding a few extra feet to the rear in some kind of metal fab build would really make a huge difference in room, while not affecting off road departure angle much, if the additional length wasn't started until tail gate hieght.
ExpeditionLCaction0909x002.jpg

Last edited:

Not considering the FJC for sleeping inside while camping/exploring? :lol:

last year had 2 friends of my brother in law show up at the hunt camp, both tall dudes, anyways, they decide to sleep in the 80 with the two back rows folded up and the tailgate down.......they nearly s*** their pants when they were woken up by a bear aat their feet!

This one work's for me. But either way 80 100 its a win win

ken
P1010091_4.jpg

I don't have any pictures, but I just pulled out the middle seats, folded up the third row, and I'm good to go. It can comfortably sleep two tall people, has plenty of headspace, and still has extra seating if I need it.

As for the 80 vs 100, I don't see how a 100 is going to be any more reliable than a well maintained 80. Its a non-issue. Buy the one that fits your needs/wants and price range.

Wow!!! I really like BirfMark's setup. Very smart, very simple.
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom