For Sale 1988 FJ62 in Dallas, TX - For Sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 1988 FJ62 that I need to unload. She's been a daily driver for me for several years and is bone stock. She's Toyota red and has just under 200k miles. I am selling her is because I took her in to the shop to have the AC compressor replaced and an oil leak fixed and found out that I had spun a main bearing. With four kids I can't afford to have the crank reworked so I have to sell her :frown:.

Before they found that I had spun the bearing they checked the oil pressure and it was great. She ran strong and I drove her to the shop. She never gave me any reason to think there was anything wrong. The oil-leak was the rear-main seal. The previous owner neglected to replace it when they put the tranny in and it was spent.

She got a new Tranny just before I bought her at ~172k miles.

Almost completely rust free! The only rust is on the lift-gate where there is a small dime-size spot where it's starting to bubble. It was there when I bought her and hasn't grown a bit since then.

Tires are good - maybe 10k miles on them. I don't remember exactly what size they are, but they are bigger than stock - and on the stock rims.

The interior is fair. The driver seat is torn in the usual places, and the cabin light is burned out. The previous owner cut the carpet out of the back for some reason.

I hate to sell her, she's been a great truck. I'm looking to get $1000 for her. I don't have pics because she's still at the shop. If you're interested I can get some pictures for you.

Thanks,
Gordon

Gordon,
Did the shop give you an estimate?

Yes. The shop has been very cool and they are holding the truck for me until I figure out what I want to do with it. They quoted me $3000ish to do a crank kit on it. If you want I can call the mechanic up and get a full detailed estimate for everything (including the AC compressor which hasn't yet been replaced). He's a great mechanic and is actually the owner of the shop, and I certainly recommend him to anyone who doesn't want to do the work themselves (like me).

I'll call the mechanic and get a detailed estimate for you. I'll also see if he can take a couple pictures with his phone for me. I'd drive up and take the pics myself, but the shop is in Denton and can't get up there tonight.

Okay, I haven't got any pictures yet, but I did get an estimate.

Here's the list of what needs to be done to it:
- Install Brake Booster (I already purchased the part, it just needs to be installed)
- Fix rear main seal
- Replace AC Compressor
- Crank Kit

He told me it would be about $3500 + tax. Obviously the crank kit is the majority of the cost.

I'll keep trying to get some pictures for you.

Gordon,

I actually live in Denton. If you feel comfortable, could you tell me where it is located so I can go check it out and talk to the guys about the work needing done?

Thanks.

Clay

Gordon,

I actually live in Denton. If you feel comfortable, could you tell me where it is located so I can go check it out and talk to the guys about the work needing done?

Thanks.

Clay

Hey Clay,

It's at Aubrey Automotive
800 Hwy. 377 South
Aubrey, TX 76227
940-365-1002

If you stop by or call ask for Gary. He's owns the shop and is the one I've been working with - a really good guy. Let me know what you think if you go by, I'm glad you're interested. Hopefully I can find a good home for my cruiser - and soon!

Oh, and Gary said he would take some pictures for me. I'll post them as soon as I get them.

just so I understand this, you drove it to the shop no problem, ran great and they told you it spun a bearing?

This is not a chat question, I'm just trying to help others who may be interested.

just so I understand this, you drove it to the shop no problem, ran great and they told you it spun a bearing?

This is not a chat question, I'm just trying to help others who may be interested.

That's exactly right. They even checked the oil pressure and everything and it all looked great. Finding the spun bearing surprised the mechanics and me.

I even toyed with the idea of not fixing it and continuing to drive it until I can afford to fix it... but the more I think about it the stupider that sounds.

That doesn't sound all that stupid. I'd keep driving it and keep my eyes out for a used 3FE to drop in IF your motor goes, or put that $3000 towards a Vortec motor swap and have a sweet, rust-free cruiser.

Did you buy this from the lady that was selling her daughters cruiser? Trans. also supposed to be going bad. Mike

Ok guys, please excuse my ignorance here, but how 'bad' is a spun bearing? I was thinking it's pretty serious, but the advice to keep on driving it has me confused.

If it's driven as is, will the entire engine eventually die?

I'm assuming it has a major oil leak/dodgy brakers and busted A/C that would still need to be fixed?

If you bought the car in Denton its been sitting awhile and the trans. is having trouble too. Mike

If its the cruiser the lady owned in Denton it was used by her daughter until the trans. which had been rebuilt,as to what degree?, gave out again.Then it sat for quite awhile. I would figure engine and trasmission for replacement if the same cruiser.The lady was very insightful on its condition. Mike

If its the cruiser the lady owned in Denton it was used by her daughter until the trans. which had been rebuilt,as to what degree?, gave out again.Then it sat for quite awhile. I would figure engine and trasmission for replacement if the same cruiser.The lady was very insightful on its condition. Mike

Dude, Michael, what are you talking about? I own this truck and I did NOT buy it in Denton. I bought it about 5 years ago and went to Austin to pick it up. It hasn't sat around at all since I bought it because it's been my daily driver.

Ok guys, please excuse my ignorance here, but how 'bad' is a spun bearing? I was thinking it's pretty serious, but the advice to keep on driving it has me confused.

If it's driven as is, will the entire engine eventually die?

I'm assuming it has a major oil leak/dodgy brakers and busted A/C that would still need to be fixed?

A spun bearing on the crankshaft main or connecting rods basically means that instead of oil lubricating between the crankshaft & bearing, the bearing has seized to the crankshaft or has moved enough to block oil from entering the bearing. It won't be long before it gets bad enough to blow a rod through the block, seize the engine, or cause a hell of a racket from a rod knock.

If you are thinking of doing a V8 conversion then go ahead and keep driving it. When it goes- it goes. The motor will be a boat anchor anyway. If you would like to keep the 3FE then I would try and source a good used engine or rebuild the one you have NOW before you cause more damage.

Hopefully this helps.

I'd slap a 6.0 vortec in there and have more power & better fuel economy. Much better value in my opinion. Good luck on your decision.

Ran

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom