Differential gasket - needs sealant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about to put the third member back together and I am not sure about the gasket. I have read the diff cover gasket, which is cork, doesn't need any sealant, just set it up dry.

The 3rd member to axle gasket from toyota is a different thinner paper material. Should I lay a bead of permatex on there?

Don't need to, but it can't hurt. I've done both with the dry toy gasket and with just RTV. Neither leaked.

I've never used anything more than the gaskets. Unless you mauled it getting it off and bent or put a groove in it or something gaskets are all you need IMO.
:beer:

I always use a gasket, with a thin bead of RTV on both faces. Reason is for removal: when you need to take it back out, the gasket will split. But the layer of RTV will make peeling it off with a razor scraper much easier.

RTV

I use either RTV and gasket or RTV only, depending on if I have the paper/cork gasket. On a thick mounting flange like is on these diffs, RTV should be fine.

i've never used any sealants outside of hightack to keep the gasket in place when i stabbed the diff.

I just swapped 4.11's into my truck last week...I didn't use sealant on both and the rear didn't leak, but the front did. I used a razor blade to remove the old gasket material, but the front didn't seal up. I had to drain it, loosen it up and put some goop on it. I didn't fill it back up yet...giving it a few days to cure before refilling it w/ 90w.

I hate to admit how many Toyota center sections I've pulled, I always removed the gasket and used RTV only, never had a leak. RTV is used by many axle manufactures these days, and no gasket.

I have always used rtb, its pretty forgiving if you get a skinny bead in an area, and removing it isn't all that bad either

What are these "gaskets" of which you speak?:confused:
Gray-1.gif

I used the "Right Stuff" when I put the FF in. I've used it on an NP241's cases as well. No leaks. Not looking forward to taking either apart, but I didn't put it together intending to take it apart anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom