Trouble pulling codes. realtime help appreciated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 95 fzj80. I've been getting a CEL for the last 1000 miles or so. It comes up and I clear it and about 200 miles later it comes up again. So I decided to try and pull the codes. I'm pretty sure that I have an OBD1 equiped truck cause my OBD2 scanner doesn't fit on the diagnostics port.

So I jumpered the E1 and TE1 and nothing happens (I've done this many times before on my 89 mini so I know what to look for). The problem is nothing happens. The CEL does not flash it only stays on.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do.

Pretty sure from 1995-1997 is OBDII. Others will confirm. My 1994 is OBDI and I can pull the codes with the jumper technique.

Sorry not much more help than that.

Some 95s were OBD1 and others OBD2.

Aah now I get it. Problem solved! Thanks.

my truck is OBD2

So where did the scanner plug in, since you said you couldn't figure that out?

Curtis
91FJ80, OBDI (OBDII ignorant...)

Fuse box in cab.

Pretty sure from 1995-1997 is OBDII. Others will confirm. My 1994 is OBDI and I can pull the codes with the jumper technique.

Sorry not much more help than that.

I have a 94 too, What's the jumper technique you guys are talking about because I'm getting really frustrated with the CEL on my dash every 50 miles, I just replaced the O2 sensors last week with two brand new Walker Sensors but the light keeps appearing. I want to check for the codes but I have no clue how.
If you guys that knows this technique can give me some pointers and let me know what tools I need to do it I'll sure appreciate it! :bang:

I can't believe this technique isn't in the FAQ...

1. With the key OFF, jump the E1 and TE1 terminals in the underhood diagnostics box with a paperclip.
2. Turn the key to the ON position, do NOT start the engine.
3. Count how many times the CEL blinks, I.E. code 25 would be two flashes, a pause, then five flashes, repeat. If there is more than one code, there will be a longer pause between codes.
4. To clear the codes, remove the EFI fuse for 15 minutes, then replace it.

I can't believe this technique isn't in the FAQ...

1. With the key OFF, jump the E1 and TE1 terminals in the underhood diagnostics box with a paperclip.
2. Turn the key to the ON position, do NOT start the engine.
3. Count how many times the CEL blinks, I.E. code 25 would be two flashes, a pause, then five flashes, repeat. If there is more than one code, there will be a longer pause between codes.
4. To clear the codes, remove the EFI fuse for 15 minutes, then replace it.

Awesome, thanks so much, you have been the only one with a straight answer to this technique. I just did it and it reads code 71. Do you know what this code means??

EGR malfunction.

Here's the site I use: Album: 80 trouble codes

Lane, Thanks so much man, I appreciate your help. Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm kinda green but I'm learning fast. Once again thanks for you help, you save the day man! I was so worry that the O2 sensors were bad being that I replaced them last week, I don't know anything about the EGR but I'm glad it wasn't the O2 sensors. ;)

Now I'm gonna have to look into what to fix and how, because to tell you the truth I don't even know where the EGR is located in my 80, LOL.

Thanks bro, thanks for your help! :clap:

Any time. :beer:

the link doesn't work anymore. Anybody know any other links to CEL codes? Thanks in advance!
edit: just tried to go directly to birfield.com and got "site under construction". Hopefully be back on later.

Interesting. I had that codes link bookmarked and I need it this morning and then come here to find it on mud and find your post. it's got to be on here somewhere... I'll keep digging, but someone care to share a link?

Lane, Thanks so much man, I appreciate your help. Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm kinda green but I'm learning fast. Once again thanks for you help, you save the day man! I was so worry that the O2 sensors were bad being that I replaced them last week, I don't know anything about the EGR but I'm glad it wasn't the O2 sensors. ;)

Now I'm gonna have to look into what to fix and how, because to tell you the truth I don't even know where the EGR is located in my 80, LOL.

Thanks bro, thanks for your help! :clap:

Search here on mud. There is tons and tons of threads RE EGR troubleshooting and removal if you wanted to take that route. :D

My EGR isssue was a broken EGR modulator. Picked up a new one from CDan and have been CEL clear for 4k miles.

GL :D

Code 22 (opps 21 per Land Speeder below) and 28 are the O2 sensors. Code 26 is rich fuel mixture. All I can remember.

Last edited:
Trouble Codes
OBD1 Codes

1 Normal Condition.
2 Air Flow Meter signal.
3 Ignition signal.
4 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor signal.
5 Oxygen Sensor.
6 RPM signal (Crank Angle Pulse).
7 Throttle Position Sensor signal.
8 Intake Air Temperature Sensor signal.
9 Vehicle Speed Sensor signal.
10 Starter signal.
11 Switch signal.
11 ECU/ECM.
12 Knock Control Sensor signal.
12 RPM signal.
13 Knock Control CPU (ECM).
13 RPM signal.
14 Turbocharger Pressure.
14 Ignition signal.
21 Oxygen Sensor.
22 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor signal.
23 Intake Air Temperature Sensor signal.
24 Intake Air Temperature Sensor signal.
25 Air-Fuel Ratio Lean.
26 Air-Fuel Ratio Rich.
27 Sub Oxygen Sensor signal.
28 No. 2 Oxygen Sensor signal.
31 Air Flow Meter signal (Vacuum Sensor signal).
32 Air Flow Meter signal.
34 Turbocharger Pressure signal.
35 Turbocharger Pressure Sensor signal.
35 HAC Sensor signal.
41 Throttle Position Sensor signal.
42 Vehicle Speed Sensor signal.
43 Starter signal.
51 Switch signal.
52 Knock Sensor signal.
53 Knock Sensor signal.
54 Inter-cooler ECM signal.
71 EGR System.