LX450 Center Console Removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched, honest but nada :confused:

So, does anyone know how to remove the center console in a LX450? Not the shifter console, but the CD changer/subwoofer/junk holder console....

It shouldn't be that hard but apparently it is smarter than me...The FSM doesn't have squat that I could find, nothing on here that I could find (maybe my search skills suck...). I even tried a Google search...I'm sure there is something simple I'm missing...

Anyway, I have the two screws on each side of the console out, the two nuts on the bottom of the inner bin are off, and the hidden screw under the cupholder is out (found out about that one after reading Iron Yuppie's Tuffy install thread). I can't "see" anything else holding that sucker in there but it sure doesn't want to come out...Before I force things that cause breakage and me $$ I figured I'd ask the experts...

TIA

I just did this last week. I had to pull the four screws on the shifter console so that could be lifted up slightly when pulling the center console out. I'll go look at my pulled unit but it sounds like you got all the other bolts.

OK, based on my console their are two bolts on each side of the console plus the two hidden bolts in the main compartment. Also the screw in the shifter console nearest the passenger seat is an attachment point. Total of 7 points.

Also, I don't think the cup holder has anything to do with you not being able to get the center out.

Once you get the center out their is another metal plate that the cd changer and sub bolt to. If you take all that out you can put a regular LC center in but you will need two 8mm bolts (I think) about twice as long as the two hidden bolts you pulled out.

One more thing. Pull the face plate on the back side that surrounds the CD player. There are two hidden metals clips either side of the vent holes. That may also be binding up.

good info, i need to do this too.

Thanks!!

Gave up for tonight. I have the PS seat removed, the shifter console out, and everything else you list except for the face plate on the back around the CD player....

RE: the two hidden bolts in the lower bin...Just the nuts come off correct, not the bolts themselves?

Also, did you have to sort of still force the console up and off or did it pull off easily? Maybe I'm just not being forceful enough....

Did you remove the two nuts that secure the console to the CD changer body? There are two 12 mm (or 13 mm) nuts that are hidden under a cloth cover in the main "basket" of the console. To access these, lift up the console cover of the main "basket" (this is where one typically stores CDs), empty it and then lift up the cloth cover. You will see the two nuts. :)

Hope this helps.

:cheers:

I don't think the face plate is critical, if you pull up from the front the back end is the rotation point and shouldn't bind up. I just mentioned that because I removed it when taking out the console so it might be the problem.

RE: the two hidden bolts in the lower bin...Just the nuts come off correct, not the bolts themselves?

Just the nuts.

I don't remember using much force. Once the shifter console is loosened the front portion of the center console pops up first (there is a little hump to get over) and then the center should easily pull up and back.

I know there are some more bolts hidden under there associated with the CD player and sub mounting but the console should come out first. Once the console is out there are two bolts hidden under the carpet behind the vent that the CD player mounts to.

Last edited:
I read your last post again...you probably found the hidden nuts. Did you remove the screw that (is hard to reach) about six inches from the front edge, down low in the console...looking from the PS seat. There is another one, again kinda low by the hand brake. Appears you already found the two up front that secure the center console to the shifter console. The last two are in the back, low by the CD face plate. There are a total of six screws that hold the console along with the two nuts. Once you have removed all these, you wiggle the console a bit and then push it forward a little so that the front edge gets free from the woofer. You should then be able to lift up the whole thing.

I recently did this and only have one thing to add. Well, not add, but to stress.

Make sure you pull it towards the rear of the truck as you try to lift it out.

Sorry for those looking for pictures but with the DB loss and subsequent load of the backup files, the pictures and writeup that I spent an hour + on Monday night posting up went to the nether regions...I'll try to recreate the procedure, with pics, for those interested...

It isn't rocket science and bottom line is those two hidden bolts create resistance when lifting the console off, making it seem like you've missed something. A little wiggling and strong, careful, pulling will persuade the console to come off if you've removed all of the screws/nuts/etc.

Last edited:
Did you remove the two nuts that secure the console to the CD changer body? There are two 12 mm (or 13 mm) nuts that are hidden under a cloth cover in the main "basket" of the console. To access these, lift up the console cover of the main "basket" (this is where one typically stores CDs), empty it and then lift up the cloth cover. You will see the two nuts. :)

Hope this helps.

Please do recreate! Looking to do this myself and I'd definitely like to see what you've done.

Ok...This is going to be pretty quick and dirty compared to the original that got wiped out by the MUD DB "refresh" the other day :D

This is for all those one :banana: :wrench:s like me who tend to over think things, tend to break plastic doohickeys forcing stuff, etc :hillbilly:

How to remove the center (or rear as Mr. T calls it) console in a LX450:

Note: I had my PS seat removed (see last pics for reason) but I'm sure this can be done without doing so...I also completely removed the shift console...You don't have to but it just makes it easier IMO if you do

(1) Remove the 4 phillips-head screws (2 DS, 2 PS) securing the shift console and the 4 10mm hex-head screws (2 DS, 2 PS) from the side of the center console. Note, unlike the FZJ80 apparently, there is NO need to remove the screw under the cupholder...it does nothing more than secure the cupholder to the metal substructure under the console (see later pic)

1.jpg

(2) Remove the shift console: Lift up the shift console and disconnect the PWR/2nd Start connector (push in on the tab with a small flat-head screwdriver and gently pull apart), shift the LX into neutral, spin the console 90 degrees to the right, and lift off

3.jpg

(3) Open up the center console's lower bin, remove all of your prized possessions, the felt from the bottom (if there), and then remove the 2 10mm funky hidden nuts

2.jpg

(4) I removed the CD changer face plate (as suggested in an above post) - not sure if this is necessary but it did open up a lot of room around the changer so...Picture shows how the face plate attaches with the friction clips

4.jpg

(5) At this point you should be ready to lift off the console...In my case, those two bolts poking up through the lower bin (see hidden nuts picture above) addend a considerable amount of resistance. I'm guessing my console has never been removed and therefore the holes are tight on the bolts...Maybe after repeated removals this would not be the case? But, that originally threw me off as I did not want to break anything. However, a little wiggling of the console front to back, side to side a bit, all while lift up on both sides of where those bolts are will cause the console to eventually come off. You can't shift the console forward or backward (because of those bolts poking up through the lower bin) and you cannot really tip the console backward or forward too much...Just pull straight up and you'll see this:

5.jpg

(6) Here is a shot of the underside of the console - note, no special plastic clip doohickeys or anything else to undo or mess around with

6.jpg

This concludes my console removal tutorial :steer: - Now is a good time to break out the shop vac and do some general cleaning around the area. Also, if you've been wanting to adjust your parking brake, now is a good time to do so :D

I was pretty disappointed that there was no "pot of gold" under the console :frown: - After reading numerous thread I expected to find some interesting items AND a ton of change...Alas, other that dirt and food crumbs all I found was one stinking penny

Read on if you are interested in an interior ground point on a LX450.

LX450 interior ground point:

My reason for needing to pull the center console (and the PS seat) was to access the ground point that is located underneath it. I wanted to ground my Blue Sea aux fuse block here to allow me the option of grounding stuff I am adding in the truck, like additional 12v outlets etc., to the aux fuse block. Originally I had planned to just ground stuff near where I add the item. I can still do so, but this gives me another option. I discovered when I added a 12v outlet in the rear cargo area for power for my fridge that the closest/best ground point was outside, under the truck near the center of the rear cross member. This meant yet another wire running through my PS grommet in the rear which was already congested with the OEM stuff, my CB antenna cable, my Hoppy trailer harness cable, etc. IMO, it will be easier, and shorter, to just run the ground wire back up to my aux fuse block in this case and probably the majority of other cases when I add stuff.

Here are some pictures for those interested of the ground point:

(1) In a LX you have to remove the subwoofer. Remove the 3 10mm hex-head bolts and disconnect the connector on the DS of the sub and set it aside

7.jpg

(2) In the picture above you can see the ground point...Here is a close up picture

8.jpg

(3) With that wiring harness running right by the ground point it was a little bit of a challenge getting the 10mm hex-head bolt out to add my ground cable. Actually the challenge was more around getting everything lined back up and the bolt back in. I thought about trying to move the wiring harness out of the way but decide that would be more work that it was worth. You can see my ground cable (silver colored 4ga cable) is attached and runs under the subwoofer bracket and carpet (that has been pulled back a bit). I'll probably add some split loom over the cable someday but it didn't dawn on me to do so at the time :doh:

9.jpg

(4) Blue Sea 12 position aux fuse block. Yeah, overkill but I (hopefully) will never run out of interior aux fuse positions and with 4ga power and ground cable it will handle plenty of juice :)

10.jpg

(5) Cover on and ready for labels

11.jpg

Great write-up!! Handy reference for anyone who wants to get under the console box or wants to drop the stock box for a Tuffy.

Thanks corsair!! ...especially since you had to write it twice :grinpimp:

You're welcome and thanks for the thanks :D

I like to give back what little I can...I certainly "take" my fair share from here :steer:

That reminds me...I was going to "save" a copy of the write up just in case :)

Thank for the write up, I need to do this soon!!!!!!

lol, ok, just did this....a Lil' procrastination but its out ;)

You HAVE to remove that plastic face plate on back of CD changer to lift console back and up to take out.

There is one phillips screw by PS feet, five 10mm screws, one is just under cup holder on DS (you cant see it with driver seat in, go by braille) other 4 are on left (2) and right side (2),these are easy access... and 2 10mm nuts that are in second lid in console that needs to come out.

Hope this helps someone ;)

If I remove the LX450 center console and CD changer, what should I do with the wires? I want to put an LC console and put USB chargers on the coin slot spots

If I remove the LX450 center console and CD changer, what should I do with the wires? I want to put an LC console and put USB chargers on the coin slot spots
Just tape them up and stash them out of the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom