Home made Dual cab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for pictures of anyone's rig that has been turned from a regular cab to a dual cab by attching another cab to the exhisting one by welding them together. I have seen a few before, but am looking for pictures for ideas. We are planning on making a single cab into a dual by merging two cabs together back to back, so that the back door would end up being a suicide door.

Last edited:
seriously, nothing? I have seen a couple of these things on the web before, but cant find any pics. Help me out here.

I personally think it will look like a booty-fab hack job to merge 2 regular US-spec cabs together, due to the slant back of the front of the doors. Not trying to discourage you, but if you want it to look right you'll need to get the back of a double-cab from Asia/Aus region. I don't think Canada got any double-cabs in the '84-88 generation. My friend Bud (of BudBuilt) did this a few years ago, but he never built the cab, he sold it off after it arrived here.

You're gonna have to stretch the frame too.

I looked at it a bit and figured out it was likely easiest to just have a salvage double cab shipped in. Then you have the issue if it is ever in an accident of getting replacement body panels.

The other way would be to start from a 4 door 4runner body. I've seen one where a '95 4runner was cutoff behind the rear doors, frame stretched and a pickup bed put back there.

Making the rear doors and their frame will be tough. It is allot of fitting work. What will kill ya is the window frame at top front and the window lifting mechanism. The glass will also cost.

A friend of mine is actually working on making his own 89-94 body style doublecab with a 6 foot bed. He bought a 90's 4 runner 4 door body and welded the back of a regular cab to it. He intends on grafting the rear half of the regular cab doors to front of the 4 runner rear doors. He's a talented guy, but this is turning out to be more work than he had imagined. The roof lines aren't the same and the last time I saw it the tub and back of the cab were all welded together but the doors weren't done and the roof wasn't completed. I'm sure he'll finish it eventually but he's got lots of other projects going on too.

I would love to see pictures of this project!

I guess it depends on what you "want" but I would suspect it would be a 1000x easier to back half a 4runner instead to put in a small bed?

72582d1235432515-90-4runner-fender-chop-dsc04608.jpg

http://www.yotatech.com/f88/90-4runner-fender-chop-167717/

This is the Home made dual cab that I was talking about many months ago. I finally drove by a house and saw it sitting in the front yard. Went and talked with the new owner, and asked him if he would mind if I took some pictures. Interesting idea, but I think the 4runner with back removed looks the best!
IMG_0437.jpg
IMG_0440.jpg
IMG_0438.jpg

Fugly for sure!

I guess it depends on what you "want" but I would suspect it would be a 1000x easier to back half a 4runner instead to put in a small bed?

72582d1235432515-90-4runner-fender-chop-dsc04608.jpg

'90 4runner fender chop - YotaTech Forums

Who did this 4Runner build? Are there any pics of the step by step process? We are in the process of buying a 1991 Runner for $250 right now. I have an extra cab for the rear window to go into a runner once it is fabed up enough. I would just like to see some pictures if they are available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom