Starter Problems with 94 Land Cruiser FJ80?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been having intermittent starting problems on my 94 Land Cruiser (338K miles) for about 6 months now.

99 times out of 100 the truck starts right up when it's been sitting for at least 30 minutes and it even starts about 95% of the time when it's warm.

If I run the truck and turn it off but leave the accessory switch on for a few minutes the truck won't start. I get a clicking noise when I turn the key, it sounds like the fuel pump is on... the engine won't turn over. Usually if I spend 1 to 4 min turning the ignition key off and on (once I've shut everything off) the starter eventually turns the engine it fires right up. This will also happen if I stop the truck and don't open the door (power is still on to the windows and doors then).

I can pump the brake and move the shifter but it doesn't seem to make any difference in how quickly the truck starts.

One time I got out and pushed the car a few feet...that seemed to help.

I'm guessing that I may be looking at a starter. If that's the case do I need to get Toyota parts or will others do? Could anything else be causing these symptoms.

It hasn't bothered me too much but it does phase the rest of the drivers in the family :)

Is that something I would get the local mechanic to do? They seem to like to replace things these days. Is this available as a part from the dealer?

Is that something I would get the local mechanic to do? They seem to like to replace things these days. Is this available as a part from the dealer?

You could do this in twenty minutes on your bench at home. Really--it's pretty simple and has been documented here.

Yes, the parts should be available from a dealer, but most dealers don't carry too many LC parts. You would probably be better off from one of the vendors here.

I've been having intermittent starting problems on my 94 Land Cruiser (338K miles) for about 6 months now.

99 times out of 100 the truck starts right up when it's been sitting for at least 30 minutes and it even starts about 95% of the time when it's warm.

If I run the truck and turn it off but leave the accessory switch on for a few minutes the truck won't start. I get a clicking noise when I turn the key, it sounds like the fuel pump is on... the engine won't turn over. Usually if I spend 1 to 4 min turning the ignition key off and on (once I've shut everything off) the starter eventually turns the engine it fires right up. This will also happen if I stop the truck and don't open the door (power is still on to the windows and doors then).

I can pump the brake and move the shifter but it doesn't seem to make any difference in how quickly the truck starts.

One time I got out and pushed the car a few feet...that seemed to help.

I'm guessing that I may be looking at a starter. If that's the case do I need to get Toyota parts or will others do? Could anything else be causing these symptoms.

It hasn't bothered me too much but it does phase the rest of the drivers in the family :)

You may want to read this write up compliment of good ole George: Starter Motor Contacts

sounds like the brushes are sticking a bit. I drove a jeep with this same issue for about 3 months. Instead of just trying to start the truck, i'd take a long socket extension, line it up on the the starter case and give it a light smack with a hammer. it'd free it right up.

short answer to your question as stated above is rebuild or replace your starter.

Probably the starter, but...

check your contacts for looseness and corrosion. I've seen hidden corrosion in the strands of the wire at the battery and a loose connection at the starter cause these kinds of problems.

starter help

have the same problem with my 91 fj80,cold starts right up,hot 99 to 1 chance it won't start,turn the key a number of times or let it cool down and it starts,where on here can i get a rebuilt kit,or buy a new or rebuilt oem starter

Same problem, '93 FZJ80

My Cruiser is having the same problem at 223K miles. I talked to a local shop this morning, they want $75 labor and $250 for the 2.2KW Bosch starter. Certain I could do better, I took to Google. Turned up this fun article asap:

ToyotaOffRoad.com - The Starter

I was a pretty fair shade-tree mechanic in my youth, and I found the exact starter he's referring to at O'Reilly (may be Checker or Kragen in your neighborhood) for $129. I'll be biting off this one on my own.

Question: can I get the security code from a dealer from the VIN number? I've never had the key tag for Big Cruiser, we got him used in 98 when he was a very young 5 years/ 91K miles old.

Thank you so much for the article. That panel to remove in the fender well just kinda hides there and it mentions nothing of it in the FSM, BASTARDS!:cheers:

sounds like the brushes are sticking a bit. I drove a jeep with this same issue for about 3 months. Instead of just trying to start the truck, i'd take a long socket extension, line it up on the the starter case and give it a light smack with a hammer. it'd free it right up.

short answer to your question as stated above is rebuild or replace your starter.

I did the same with my 80, but used a wood pick handle that I carry as an "attitude adjuster" for other people. kept doing it until one rainy night. Replaced the starter and two weeks later started to do the same. The way I solved: rigged a Ford stater relay, and a year later, truck runs fine!:steer:

I just fixed my start this way. I used an long bar attached to my socket to get the top bolts off. It was a 15minute job. Both came off real easy with i extend my socket with bar to increase my force.

With you being in Pennsylvania you need to meet Beno (Onur) @beno above in your thread. He can get you Toyota OEM parts for your truck at a better price than your local dealer and is close (In Georgia)... You'll also have a great resource if you have parts / mechanical questions and he wont Steer :steer:you wrong.

Onur: 505.944.5081// onurazeri1@gmail.com

He's a supporting vendor here on MUD..... Support your vendors !! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom